Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I'm Excited - Knee Is Taking Rides

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 11:25 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

I had a recent knee operation. The last few years my calf/knee would get whacked out with activity. I did five rides last week, all under 5 miles, and so far things have held up. I've gone at an easy pace, good gearing, etc. and such. Tonight I'll go a bit further. I COULD have gone further but I am looking to try and EASE back into things and just see how it goes with the rest of the riding season.

If things continue to go well I'll put a 100 miler on the books for next Fall and train towards it as soon as I get outdoors in the Spring.

I'm excited.
Old 09-14-20, 04:23 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Awesome! Planning to do a hundred next year myself, thankfully I have no issues other than being out of shape.
Old 09-15-20, 03:07 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefTJS
Awesome! Planning to do a hundred next year myself, thankfully I have no issues other than being out of shape.
I hope that will be my only actual issue that I have to be overly concerned about.

I'm writing an article on how to prepare for an Imperial Century. Other articles exist, but only a few of them go from the POV of a clyde.
Old 09-21-20, 08:32 AM
gutter007

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
awesome!

That's awesome!.

I've had similar issues after my surgery. They cleaned up cartilage from the back of my knee cap. It took awhile to get going. These things helped me.

1. Higher cadence, lower resistance. The harder I push on the pedals the more my knees hurt.
2. Your knee will hurt. Ice, Advil, and not forcing things too hard is your friend. A little pain is ok, ultimately you'll be able to go longer and longer with less pain.
3. Everyone's body is different, and injuries and recoveries can vary widely from person to person ... so don't put too much on jokers like me.

keep kicking butt.

myles.
Old 09-28-20, 08:07 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Im 2 years post double knee replacement. Left done then a year later the right one replaced. Now im well and truly back on the bike, pain free knee wise, got to get my bike legs back in shape but man, it feels so good to be back in the saddle again. I could barely walk, riding was relatively pain free at the time but now, Im born again!!!
Old 10-05-20, 07:30 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by banjaboy
Im 2 years post double knee replacement. Left done then a year later the right one replaced. Now im well and truly back on the bike, pain free knee wise, got to get my bike legs back in shape but man, it feels so good to be back in the saddle again. I could barely walk, riding was relatively pain free at the time but now, Im born again!!!
Wow, that's great. I'm looking at TKR surgery in the future. What was your recovery time? Are you riding the mountain bike on trails?
Old 10-05-20, 09:01 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Hi Cyclist!!!!!!! TKR is a big surgery, its not just physical, its mental. You are pretty well helpless for a week or two and you feel you will never recover but of course you do. Physio is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! I went twice a week and did a routine on the days I didnt have physio. Spin bike did it for me, 2 times 30 mins a day as soon as initial swelling went down. Get yourself an ice machine, An Osser was the best, Bregg is okay too. Recovery time........thats a toughie, I would say 2 months before the swelling was under control and I could sleep. I was a quick recovery according to the doc and physiotherapist. Range of motion is everything, especially to ride a bike. Take your pain meds before you do your physio, no point going into it in pain. I had opiates for a week then went on strong over the counter meds. BUT................Regardless of the hard recovery, the freedom from pain I have now is worth every minute of temporary pain from surgery. I never was a hard core trail rider, Im more road bike but got into mountain bike to keep active through the winters here in Canada. I am a gentle trail rider but thats not because of my knees its my guts lol!!!!!!! you dont want to be too stupid as a fall might really do you in. Thats my fear, breaking a leg coming off lol!!!! So, get the knee done, you will NEVER regret it, might have some bad days but each day it gets better, believe me!