Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nutrition

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nutrition

Old 09-15-20, 07:36 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
I've found that the need for food on a ride depends a lot on your diet in general. When I used to eat a lot of carbs, I'd usually have a PowerBar or Clif Bar with me on just about every ride. If I didn't have a constant supply of carbs, it didn't take long before I felt like I was going to die of hunger. Since I've switched my diet over to primarily healthy fats and a few carbs, I find I can pretty easily ride 40+ miles w/o anything but water. On longer rides, 60-70 miles, I'll bring a Clif Bar or two, but that's about it.
Old 09-15-20, 08:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Any possibility that those that feel a need to eat on a 4 or 5 hour ride are confusing thirst for hunger due to poor hydration habits both on and off the bike?

I mean, come on people, you can't go without a snack between meals? And on the bike, if you aren't emptying bottle at least every hour then I'd claim you aren't drinking near enough.

And certainly this isn't directed toward those that do hydrate adequately but choose to get carbs from food.

I'm not directing this toward anyone. Just putting out that supposition for you to ponder if it might be a factor.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-15-20, 11:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Any possibility that those that feel a need to eat on a 4 or 5 hour ride are confusing thirst for hunger due to poor hydration habits both on and off the bike?

I mean, come on people, you can't go without a snack between meals? And on the bike, if you aren't emptying bottle at least every hour then I'd claim you aren't drinking near enough.

And certainly this isn't directed toward those that do hydrate adequately but choose to get carbs from food.

I'm not directing this toward anyone. Just putting out that supposition for you to ponder if it might be a factor.
I think that we're seeing a pretty broad cross-section - from sugar-burners out hammering, who need to stay topped-off, to fat-adapted working in Z2 all day long with little-to-no caloric intake, to the many pampered for whom mild hunger is a novel and somewhat uncomfortable sensation. I'm sure that there are some poorly hydrated, too, as you propose.

And, FWIW, water intake is going to vary quite a bit, too, based on effort, weather, conditioning, etc. This time of year, I could certainly do an easy 80 mile ride on two bottles.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-15-20, 03:16 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I make rice cakes+SIS beta fuel for really long rides 4hrs+. Re rice cakes, the texture seems to go bad pretty quick in the fridge tho. I don't know if you can freeze them.

I am still trying to figure out what my stomach likes and keep experimenting though. A few times this year I almost pulled to the side like Tommy D to take a messy dump.

I like SIS gels and Will give fig bars a try. Maybe that's the answer to my GI issues.
Old 09-15-20, 04:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Clif bar is in the pocket for emergencies, but I usually just stop for a Turkey/Cranberry Sauce and Brie wrap, with a bag of Salt n'Pepper potato chips and a poured Arnie Palmer. I must not be in the middle of nowhere like the rest of ya.
Old 09-15-20, 07:27 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Clif bar is in the pocket for emergencies, but I usually just stop for a Turkey/Cranberry Sauce and Brie wrap, with a bag of Salt n'Pepper potato chips and a poured Arnie Palmer. I must not be in the middle of nowhere like the rest of ya.
In farm country where I like to ride most, there's a lot of milk available... kind of...

Old 09-15-20, 09:05 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Ryno Power Gladiator 30 minutes before I ride, generally after eating a bowl of oatmeal or a slice of toast with a hard boiled egg. Cliff bar in the jersey pocket with 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of Ryno Power Hydration Fuel.
Old 09-15-20, 09:37 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Vega bars and shot bloks pretty much fuel my rides. For an electrolyte drink I have Vega hydrator in one of my water bottles. Cheers.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 09-16-20 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 09:42 PM
Armystrong

Bikes: 2014 Lapierre Sensium 500 Di2 58cm, 2015 Scott CR1 Team 105 group set 58cm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take Gel Gu, one every hour, and also protein bar. If it is a long ride I might even carry a banana. As others have said, if you diet doesn't consist of snaking every hour, eating healthy foods, etc... doing so just for your rides may be difficult. If you are a serious cyclist, there are certainly plenty of foods to avoid that take way to long to digest or have little nutritional value. For example if you are a steak eater or pork eater, the next day you may feel lethargic when you ride. Turkey and chicken breaks down much faster and has a better nutrition then the aforementioned. You could always carry a Big Mac if you wanted....lol.
Old 09-16-20, 09:04 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
Hello,

Just wondering, what do you take with you for fuel on long rides? I'm looking for some new ideas beyond my usual protein bar(s).

Thanks.
I'll eat on anything around 2 hrs or longer but probably more a matter of me not being the most fit guy in the world

Carbs Fig Newtons, or Lara Bars (Apple Pie or Pineapple upside-down cake)
Electrolytes Nuun Tabs 2 per 24 oz bottle
Old 09-16-20, 10:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

I can tell the difference between thirsty and hungry. MOSTLY, the feeling of low blood sugar can be kept at bay with a sports drink, but if I've eaten insufficiently before a ride, I can absolutely reach a point where the drink isn't enough, and I'm not dehydrated. I feel it first primarily in the gut, a just plain hungry, empty feeling.

I ALWAYS take a Clif bar along, but I rarely resort to eating them. I end up carrying the same one for months! But sometimes, like last Sunday, even though I was drinking regularly and it wasn't hot so I was not sweating profusely, I could tell at about 12 miles from home that my blood sugar reserves were running low, so I gave in and ate the bar. Now I have a new one that will last me a while!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-06-20, 04:53 AM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Rice cakes: blech

I stumbled onto a recipe for "Team Sky Rice Cakes." They're godawful! Maybe I should've used more sugar?
Old 12-06-20, 04:08 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I am good for no food up to around 70 miles. I tend to eat large meals and not ever in between meals. If I was a racer I would eat something and for a century a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich is the best along with maybe some fig newtons. I think the way you train has much to do with it. I am a runner and running you generally do not eat even for marathons but make sure the glycogen in the muscles is topped off. This is done by what you eat 12-15 hours before riding long. In a race all beat are off you have to keep something going down I am sure for best outcome, In training I prefer to suffer a bit and be tired the last 30 minutes then eat a huge meal when i get home.
Old 12-11-20, 02:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Everyone and every ride is different. It's hilly here, and I do some rides hard, some moderate. Short rides, say up to 50 miles, I'll take a bottle or two of HEED and won't necessarily drink at all at the short end or finish the two bottles at the long end, which total 300 Cal.

When the rides get longer and harder, I'd run out of glycogen if I didn't fuel properly. For those I mix a powder of 7 parts maltodextrin to 1 part chocolate whey protein, by weight. 2 cups of that in a 24 oz. or 1 liter bottle is 750 calories, or 3 hours of riding strong. Since these rides will be more than 3 hours, I bring extra powder in Ziplocs in my saddle bag. I've mostly given up on solid foods. It's just too hard to digest when I might be climbing in the heat for a couple hours at a time.

I buy the malto at a homebrew supply house in 50# bags and the whey online in 5# containers. I go through about 1 bag of malto per year, costs maybe $80. On really long rides, I can't carry enough powder, so I'll eat whatever along the way, fruit pies being a favorite. But on really long rides, effort is low enough that digestion isn't that difficult.

Main thing is to keep the carbs coming a little at a time, no long breaks between fueling. Back when I used to use Clif bars for fuel, I'd break them into quarters and eat a quarter every 15'. That works OK, but I prefer liquid now, same principle, drink a little every 15'.
Old 12-11-20, 04:27 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Dates are natures gels. Just remove the pits before the ride.

Personally I take nothing, just a bottle of plain water. Two bottles if over 50mi and summer.