Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Unicrown legs: splay angle for 29er

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 03:55 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts

Does anyone have a visual/aesthetic preference for a slight outward splay angle, or is a near/vertical the general guide, assuming good tyre clearance.

Perhaps good tyre clearance would always result in a little splay?
Old 04-23-24, 06:00 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 475 Posts
It's not really something you can choose. The top is set for the desired tire clearance and then the front hub width determines the angle of the fork legs.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 04-23-24, 07:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
I don't like the look of a wider top of the fork blades compared to the dropout end too. But the parts in play (blade diameter at the top VS bottom), the amount of tire width and clearance, the dropout/blade relationship (dropouts off center WRT the blade end), and the crown or unicrown design (as in how tightly the unicrown blades curve into the steerer and how this effects A-C and tire clearance) all control the resultant look. Andy
Old 04-23-24, 08:58 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 475 Posts
This is a recent one that I did for a gravel bike with clearance for 27.5 x 2" tires, anything cage mounts, flat mount disc and 12 x 100 through axle. I wouldn't recommend doing a suspension corrected unicrown fork for a 29er. I tried that and it was a dangerous fork to ride. Too much rearward flex under braking and it would snap back forward causing the front wheel to lose traction. I built a 4 legged Squid Fork replica to replace that fork and it has worked great for years.

Last edited by dsaul; 04-23-24 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 04-23-24, 10:30 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It's not really something you can choose. The top is set for the desired tire clearance and then the front hub width determines the angle of the fork legs.
And the V-brake bosses if the bike is going to have them. The first fork I made ended up in the scrap bin because I only realized this too late There's a bit of wiggle room about exactly where you put them but only within reason.
Old 04-23-24, 05:07 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks, all. Helpful points.
Likes For tangerineowl: