Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Madison Bike Swap 1/14/12

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Madison Bike Swap 1/14/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 05:06 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The swap was ok, not like lasts year's swap. Very cramped, one room and lot of bumping people to see whats for sale. I did manage to glean some nice Campy stuff. Came across a most unusual find, a set of Campagnolo Record Triple crank set! All in all spent $275 with tolls, parking and enterance fee along with the parts. Here's some pictures of my bounty! The Record C rear derailleur is NOS and the Campy brakes are dual caliper Records NOS. Perhaps others would like to show their collection, too.

Old 01-14-12, 06:03 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
The boy placed 2nd with his car.
Nice!

I picked up a Mel Pinto (probably made by Urago) track bike,

[IMG][/IMG]

a three pin TA crankset, some Altenburger brake levers (spares for my Altenburger Cinelli), a nice Carnielli bar/stem combo, a nice 3TTT bar/stem combo (with old Colnago bar ends), a Zeus FD, a Huret FD, 3 Silca pumps, a Zefal frame pump(needs parts), a NOS Clement tire, some other stuff, and this!

Is this a first gen Gran Sport FD ('51-'52)? If so, WOW!
Old 01-14-12, 07:04 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saw you guys loading that Pinto into your car; I figured it might have been someone from here but I was leaving right then, so didn't stop.

I scored:

1987 Trek 560
Cyclone/Mavic GP4 tubular wheelset
2 Sachs 6-speed and 1 Sachs 7-speed freewheels
Campy 3-pin crank
Challenge Grifo tubulars
Challenge Grifo clincher
Nitto Technomic stem
Stronglight 122 BCD 50-tooth ring, almost new
3 back issues of Bicycle Quarterly

Couple other bits and bobs

Spent more than I wanted to and didn't sell a blessed thing of my own, but I had a good time!
Old 01-14-12, 07:04 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
I didn't get that much and I spent less then $100 including the nachos. When looking for a small titanium hardtail mountain bike but came up empty handed. I was debating on a brand new 47cm 650c Litespeed Tuscany frame/fork but I need another road bike like I need hole in my head. Not sure I liked it in just the one room compared to the other years.

I did run into another member. Kind of caught me off guard and I was like a deer in a set of headlights. He was like "Henry the III" and I was like huh...thinking to myself how does this guy know my name let alone know that I'm the third. lol. Then the gears started turning and then it clicked. Hahaha. Sorry I can't remember who I ran into as I've got the worst memory for remembering names.
Old 01-14-12, 08:01 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Henry the III, it was I that recognized you....................also met Chicago Al and after reading the posts from last night I'm sure I met Captain Blight, though I did'nt know it at the time.

That Mel Pinto was my buddy's. I rode it a few times several years ago although it is much to big for me. I had the tires put on that bike while I was using it some years ago.

I moved quite a few items at the swap including my "Breaking Away" movie poster, a few big ticket items and tons of $1-$20 items.

I talked quite a bit with the gal that ended up buying that 650c Litespeed, she was wanting the 650c wheelset I had but I sold by the time she came back for it.

I almost got out of there without spending any money, BUT.............................the place was about 90% cleared out and I was packed and ready to go, when I walked over to the restroom and a Redline Monocog frameset caught my eye. It was my size, I've got the parts to build it and the price was right.

Old 01-14-12, 08:41 PM
r0ckh0und 

The guy that reserved the table next to mine was from Tuscon. He was an ebay business. He flew into Chicago, then into Madison, secured a half dozen bike boxes, started buying at 7am and filled about 4 of the boxes and started preparing them for shipment back to Tuscon and is now ready to head back to Tuscon.

Old 01-14-12, 08:59 PM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jealous! Next year!
Old 01-14-12, 09:20 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 80 Posts
No big deals for me but I did pick up some Simplex alternatives for my PX-10: shifters that don't have a rusted band, a 102 fd that will clean up well, and an SX410 RD, rough and heavy--but not delrin. Seller threw in 3 clean simplex cable clamps which I needed: total $15. Also found an SR Laprade seatpost in 26.4. So I'd better get busy on the Peugeot tomorrow!

Among c&vers only saw rockhound. And of course Bob, with whom I had a pleasant drive up from Chicago, talking bikes. Not at all a bad way to spend a Saturday.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 01-14-12 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 09:25 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
She must of picked it up after I looked at it. It was the last thing I was checking out before I left. I stood there and debated with myself but told myself just to walk away. I'm happy I did though. lol.
Old 01-14-12, 10:25 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I missed meeting any of you fine folks, but I got a couple of cheap Campy bits myself. Scored a pair of scratch-n-dent Victory crankarms and a mostly-Italian bottom bracket, bringing my total under $40 including parking and admission. Not the best haul in the world but it was a nice time.
Old 01-14-12, 11:28 PM
loose spoke

Bikes: 11 steel, 1 scandium, 1 carbon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there all morning and ran into the very engaging Captain Blight and traded war stories. I looked for others, but no go.. Next event, maybe some small identifier might work... name tag with C&V? Something easy and unique. I really wanted to meet more of you.

There was a lot of everything. I had to go through three times and still missed stuff. Definitely worth the trip for me.

I bought
Sugino Mighty track crankset
Nitto 132 rando bars
Simplex SLJ front dr
2 vintage bottle cages
Campy Record Titanium 9-speed cranks, bb, front and rear dr (no shifters so, now looking for 9-sp Ergo pair)
I got free
One blister

-Tom

Last edited by loose spoke; 01-14-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 06:38 AM
slushlover2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loose spoke
I was there all morning and ran into the very engaging Captain Blight and traded war stories. I looked for others, but no go.. Next event, maybe some small identifier might work... name tag with C&V? Something easy and unique. I really wanted to meet more of you.

There was a lot of everything. I had to go through three times and still missed stuff. Definitely worth the trip for me.

I bought
Sugino Mighty track crankset
Nitto 132 rando bars
Simplex SLJ front dr
2 vintage bottle cages
Campy Record Titanium 9-speed cranks, bb, front and rear dr (no shifters so, now looking for 9-sp Ergo pair)
I got free
One blister

-Tom
Do you need a 9 speed Campy cassette to go with that?
Old 01-15-12, 10:20 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3016 Post(s)
Liked 3,809 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Is this a first gen Gran Sport FD ('51-'52)? If so, WOW!
The devil is in the details. Check out Hicampy's site for those details.

https://translate.google.com/translat...Fnewpage17.htm
Old 01-15-12, 10:33 AM
r0ckh0und 

A couple of additional side stories from the swap yesterday.

While hanging out at the swap my buddy Jerry comments that he should buy my Breaking Away movie poster and have it signed by John Vande Velde. Jerry is the ED for the Chicago area MTB organization (CAMBr) and the past few years he has set up a fundraising event called "Cocktails with Christian" featuring Christian Vande Velde as well as others. In the process he has come to know Christians father who was, unbeknownst to me, the Italian rider in Breaking Away that puts the stick in Dennis Christophers' spokes and makes him crash. Also an inductee into the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame. We did not follow through with this scenario but I still thought it was interesting enough to share.

No surprise really, I guess, but a few of the things I sold yesterday showed up on Madison CL this morning.

Old 01-15-12, 10:47 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Originally Posted by iab
The devil is in the details.
Sheesh. I'll say.

Looks like a second iteration (1952)? Mine has most of the characteristics as described at the top of the page, but definitely doesn't match the later-identified first era that is at the bottom of the page. I may post some more photos in the valuation forum. It's a wild card. Hilary Stone has one like mine (but with an incorrectly replaced bolt) for about $550. Nuts! https://hilarystone.com/CCderailleurs.html

Thanks for the link!

You don't want to know what I paid for it. I'll just say that I picked up the Pinto Urago track bike and everything else listed above, plus a NR tubular front wheel, Universal 81 brake levers, Balilla levers with hoods, and some other consumables for about $425.

Last edited by bibliobob; 01-15-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 10:52 AM
bibliobob

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
A couple of additional side stories from the swap yesterday.

While hanging out at the swap my buddy Jerry comments that he should buy my Breaking Away movie poster and have it signed by John Vande Velde. Jerry is the ED for the Chicago area MTB organization (CAMBr) and the past few years he has set up a fundraising event called "Cocktails with Christian" featuring Christian Vande Velde as well as others. In the process he has come to know Christians father who was, unbeknownst to me, the Italian rider in Breaking Away that puts the stick in Dennis Christophers' spokes and makes him crash. Also an inductee into the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame. We did not follow through with this scenario but I still thought it was interesting enough to share.

No surprise really, I guess, but a few of the things I sold yesterday showed up on Madison CL this morning.

Man! I saw your booth (and the poster). I wish that I would've said hello. Great idea about the signature, btw.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get for the poster? It would've looked great in my bike room
Old 01-15-12, 11:06 AM
r0ckh0und 

Man! I saw your booth (and the poster). I wish that I would've said hello. Great idea about the signature, btw.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get for the poster? It would've looked great in my bike room
I recognized Chicago Al by his Reynolds 531 shirt and Henry III by his sweater...............I really liked the poster myself but I really don't have a proper place to display it. I was reluctant to sell it and my buddies were ribbing me a bit to let it go for a better price. Several other vendors tried beating me down on it all day. Towards the end of the day another vendor walked over and counted out 25 one dollar bills.

Old 01-15-12, 11:17 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3016 Post(s)
Liked 3,809 Times in 1,411 Posts
Sheesh. I'll say.

Looks like a second iteration (1952)? Mine has most of the characteristics as described at the top of the page, but definitely doesn't match the later-identified first era that is at the bottom of the page. I may post some more photos in the valuation forum. It's a wild card. Hilary Stone has one like mine (but with an incorrectly replaced bolt) for about $550. Nuts! https://hilarystone.com/CCderailleurs.html

Thanks for the link!

You don't want to know what I paid for it. I'll just say that I picked up the Pinto Urago track bike and everything else listed above, plus a NR tubular front wheel, Universal 81 brake levers, Balilla levers with hoods, and some other consumables for about $425.
I'd like to see more photos. Definately an early version with the raised lip on the front plate. Also post some pics of the Balillas. If they are the right ones and you want to flip them, I may be your man.
Old 01-15-12, 12:47 PM
bibliobob

Sheesh, I should've asked about the poster. Your friend Jerry (whom I believe sold me the Pinto) was a very nice guy.

Dave, I think that the Balillas are later than you're looking for but, if you want them, they're yours. Will send email a photo to you....
Old 01-15-12, 05:20 PM
r0ckh0und 

Sheesh, I should've asked about the poster. Your friend Jerry (whom I believe sold me the Pinto) was a very nice guy.

Dave, I think that the Balillas are later than you're looking for but, if you want them, they're yours. Will send email a photo to you....
Yes, Jerry had the Mel Pinto. I've known him for close to 15 years and ya, he's a pretty decent guy.

Old 01-15-12, 08:53 PM
loose spoke

Bikes: 11 steel, 1 scandium, 1 carbon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slushlover2
Do you need a 9 speed Campy cassette to go with that?
Thank you... I'm OK on the cassette, but need some Ergo levers or bar ends.
-Tom
Old 01-15-12, 09:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,579 Posts
I didn't make it to the meet until about 12:30. I bought some low-buck stuff (39T chainring, Sakae "Randonner" bars, ST cable guide, new 11-28T cassette, and a free RX100 rear hub), but didn't spot much that got me excited. I had fun, but I can only imagine what was around before it all got picked over.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-16-12, 02:13 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
I had to work...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.