Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Mixte ID?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Mixte ID?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 03:15 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Old Mixte ID?

So this showed up in the Cincinnati fb marketplace (“vintage road bicycle” is the ad headline). It is a cottered crank mixte with what looks like a Simplex/Nervar combo. The rear brake is Mafac and is seat stay mounted with a pulley in the cable run. I looked at Gitane catalogs and Ficelle threads here. There appears to be only one decal, on the fork, and it’s not like a Jeunet or Le Jeune or whatever else my limited knowledge can come up with. Wondering if this admittedly low-res capture from the fb ad rings a bell with anyone. Thanks in advance. Maybe it’s a “J” or an “F” or maybe a “T” ??
Old 04-18-24, 04:09 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,190 Posts
-----

ye shall receiveth not a great deal of assistnce with a single image o' the fok crown area

-----
Old 04-18-24, 07:08 PM
Mooo

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
That makes sense. Was hoping the decal would trigger a memory … screenshots from the ad:

Old 04-18-24, 07:46 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 113 Posts
It is probably French. It has a Simplex front derailleur and shifters, and a Huret Allvit rear derailleur. Patterned chrome rims. Normandy high flange hubs, Mafac Racer brakes, what look like Lyotard pedals, and a cottered steel crank. Pretty standard French Bike Boom creation.

I've built up and worked on a ton of old French bikes. They are almost always a pleasure to ride even in stock configuration with the steel rims etc. The only parts I prefer to replace are the Simplex front derailleur and the chromed rims. i'd also consider replacing the Allvit on this bike because although it works well enough, the shifting takes some time to get used to. Once the derailleurs and rims are squared away the bike will be fun to ride even if it is heavier than bikes with more aluminum bits.

As an example, this Peugeot still has a cottered crank and mostly steel parts. But it has aluminum rims and the derailleurs work fine. And it was marketed as a racing bike! When I ride it, it certainly feels like one, despite its weight.

Old 04-19-24, 08:19 AM
Mooo

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
It is probably French. It has a Simplex front derailleur and shifters, and a Huret Allvit rear derailleur. Patterned chrome rims. Normandy high flange hubs, Mafac Racer brakes, what look like Lyotard pedals, and a cottered steel crank. Pretty standard French Bike Boom creation.

I've built up and worked on a ton of old French bikes. They are almost always a pleasure to ride even in stock configuration with the steel rims etc. The only parts I prefer to replace are the Simplex front derailleur and the chromed rims. i'd also consider replacing the Allvit on this bike because although it works well enough, the shifting takes some time to get used to. Once the derailleurs and rims are squared away the bike will be fun to ride even if it is heavier than bikes with more aluminum bits.

As an example, this Peugeot still has a cottered crank and mostly steel parts. But it has aluminum rims and the derailleurs work fine. And it was marketed as a racing bike! When I ride it, it certainly feels like one, despite its weight.
Nice Peugeot!Thanks, and Agreed … I recently put together a slightly too small Jeunet rescued from the local Coop’s abattoir of unloved frames. It was their base model and is a surprisingly nice ride. Like you say, the cottered cranks aren’t really a problem - especially if you have access to a press - and frankly that’s what tipped the decision to bring I the Jeunet home.

Was wondering what this one was, not because I’m buying it, but sheer curiosity.