Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 01-24-20, 08:29 PM
  #3076  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,439

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7540 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by trsnrtr View Post
as most veteran addictionites know, i suffer from radiation induced gastric problems. My gastro doc and my family doc have finally got my diet squared away that is compatible for blood sugar issues and my gastric issues. It relies heavily on certain vegetables and lean animal protein. The up side besides losing weight is that my riding has been the most enjoyable in probably 5 years. I recover quickly, sleep well, and feel great.

I always felt that i could eat anything and be ok but a plant-based diet and some quality animal protein has made a believer out of me. I try to eat only basic foods and never deliberately eat processed stuff.

Quality food has changed my life.

Edited to add, waffles/pancakes are not on my list of foods that i should eat and i don't know if nutella is on my list or not but i wouldn't eat it anyway.
+100
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 08:30 PM
  #3077  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,439

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7540 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Not enough snow. Walks in the fields with Benson only require some winter boots. No snowshoes required.
ikr
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 08:33 PM
  #3078  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,169

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 623 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13057 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I would, but I don’t want to call attention to myself.
That's kind of where this goes, but I'll see if it's relatable.

I was being moused up in the infusion center this morning. At first it was just me. Nice and peaceful, except for the TV playing HGTV.

Half an hour or so in an old, skinny guy wanders in. It seemed he was supposed to be waiting in the waiting room, as he had not yet made his required stop with the PA, but somehow he had gotten buzzed in and was messing around with the infusion room coffee machine.

The nurse jokingly chided him for being well behind his scheduled appointment. I think she was annoyed because they close at noon on Fridays, but rather than say that directly, she mitigated, with teasing.

He sat at the opposite side of the room as me.

A little later a middle age lady comes in and sits on his side. Soon she joins in the banter with the coffee guy and nurse. She turns out to be much noisier than him. Guy was messing with the paper work we were required to fill out because "it's a new year." Anyway, for some reason he asked for scissors. After he used them, as the nurse was returning to her station, the loud woman stopped her and tried to get her to cut the sleeve on her blouse for the upcoming injection. wut

Anyway, while all this tomfoolery is going on across the room, I'm minding my own business, reading my book or trying to nap. It didn't take long for loud lady to seize upon the contrast and deemed my side of the room the "good side," meaning quiet and not joshing with the nurse, I assume.

Then the needlephobe came in. She brought in her husband, apparently for moral support. He looked like the ZZ Top guitarist and oddly just stood there the whole time, rather than sit in one of the chairs. After a little random back and forth, it came out that needlephobe didn't eat bacon because she had become a "Hebrew" and then her conversation with the loud lady was off to the races on theology. I'm not sure why you would talk to a complete stranger at the doctor's office about that, but hey, it's more substantive than "what's for lunch?"

During this conversation the loud lady made another reference to the "good side." Then finally before I left, she came at me again about my quietness.

I'm guessing I'm not alone here, but for me whenever I'm in a social setting with someone new, the first time they comment on me not saying much, I'm like, "yeah, you're right." But then it gets more every time they say it thereafter.

The End.
__________________

Last edited by Velo Vol; 01-24-20 at 08:41 PM.
Velo Vol is online now  
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 01-24-20, 08:34 PM
  #3079  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,439

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7540 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Got hit and rund from behind on the way home. I am incredibly fortunate not to be on my way to the OR or the morgue. Helmet busted.

Good Samaritan saw and stopped, but no make on the tag. Fortunately wife was home.
Holy crap, glad you are alright.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 09:08 PM
  #3080  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,542

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6028 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
​​​​ Dunno about the stuff that you're using, but check out Abranet from Finland.
Thanks. The stuff I'm using could well be from the sixties. I have never experienced such quality sandpaper.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Here too. Lots of fear, alienation, and rage in this failing country.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 09:14 PM
  #3081  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,542

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6028 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Inquiring minds want to know - what's special about the Norwegian stuff? Is this like fancy natural sharpening stones?
It's just good, durable sandpaper. In another class altogether from any sandpaper I've ever used. Today's project was the first time I'd ever used it. Certainly not the last. I may very well have much more than a lifetime supply here, with about a dozen discs.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Here too. Lots of fear, alienation, and rage in this failing country.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 09:17 PM
  #3082  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,542

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6028 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Yes, but do not want to discuss online yet.
Wise choice. Hopefully there was a camera somewhere.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Here too. Lots of fear, alienation, and rage in this failing country.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 09:25 PM
  #3083  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,357

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12556 Post(s)
Liked 2,191 Times in 1,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
That's kind of where this goes, but I'll see if it's relatable.

I was being moused up in the infusion center this morning. At first it was just me. Nice and peaceful, except for the TV playing HGTV.

Half an hour or so in an old, skinny guy wanders in. It seemed he was supposed to be waiting in the waiting room, as he had not yet made his required stop with the PA, but somehow he had gotten buzzed in and was messing around with the infusion room coffee machine.

The nurse jokingly chided him for being well behind his scheduled appointment. I think she was annoyed because they close at noon on Fridays, but rather than say that directly, she mitigated, with teasing.

He sat at the opposite side of the room as me.

A little later a middle age lady comes in and sits on his side. Soon she joins in the banter with the coffee guy and nurse. She turns out to be much noisier than him. Guy was messing with the paper work we were required to fill out because "it's a new year." Anyway, for some reason he asked for scissors. After he used them, as the nurse was returning to her station, the loud woman stopped her and tried to get her to cut the sleeve on her blouse for the upcoming injection. wut

Anyway, while all this tomfoolery is going on across the room, I'm minding my own business, reading my book or trying to nap. It didn't take long for loud lady to seize upon the contrast and deemed my side of the room the "good side," meaning quiet and not joshing with the nurse, I assume.

Then the needlephobe came in. She brought in her husband, apparently for moral support. He looked like the ZZ Top guitarist and oddly just stood there the whole time, rather than sit in one of the chairs. After a little random back and forth, it came out that needlephobe didn't eat bacon because she had become a "Hebrew" and then her conversation with the loud lady was off to the races on theology. I'm not sure why you would talk to a complete stranger at the doctor's office about that, but hey, it's more substantive than "what's for lunch?"

During this conversation the loud lady made another reference to the "good side." Then finally before I left, she came at me again about my quietness.

I'm guessing I'm not alone here, but for me whenever I'm in a social setting with someone new, the first time they comment on me not saying much, I'm like, "yeah, you're right." But then it gets more every time they say it thereafter.

The End.
It would depend upon my mood, ​​​​but I would have likely done the same (nothing). I'm not bothered by silence and I don't feel the need to assuage someone that is, whether they're uncomfortable with it in general or with mine, specifically. Honestly, if someone obnoxious finds it awkward and uncomfortable, I tend to relish it even more.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-24-20, 09:29 PM
  #3084  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,542

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6028 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 303 Posts
Third osteopath session of the week out of the way. This guy had an ultrasound, and a number of little electric hammers and thumpers. And skilled, knowledgeable thumbs. Turns out the entire shoulder area was messed up--down the back, down the arm, over on the pec side. Vamnos a ver.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Here too. Lots of fear, alienation, and rage in this failing country.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 09:31 PM
  #3085  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,542

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6028 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 303 Posts
Flight to Indianapolis booked, for June 11. Booked twice, cancelled once. I really like going through Expedia. They are actually communicative, as opposed to the airlines. I will be returning overland.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Here too. Lots of fear, alienation, and rage in this failing country.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 01-24-20, 09:38 PM
  #3086  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,357

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12556 Post(s)
Liked 2,191 Times in 1,161 Posts
Okay, so maybe I was a little hasty in dismissing steel bike besides Baum. I guess I could live with this lugged Italian if I had to

WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-24-20, 10:56 PM
  #3087  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 34,116

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5176 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 479 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Okay, so maybe I was a little hasty in dismissing steel bike besides Baum. I guess I could live with this lugged Italian if I had to

Oh mama. I saw it on FB not a minute before popping in here.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 01-24-20, 11:06 PM
  #3088  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,715

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Flight to Indianapolis booked, for June 11. Booked twice, cancelled once. I really like going through Expedia. They are actually communicative, as opposed to the airlines. I will be returning overland.
Overland?

Are you bicycle touring back to Mexico?
abshipp is online now  
Old 01-24-20, 11:33 PM
  #3089  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 47,796

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7579 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Welp, there was pineapple pie marked down to $1.99 at the grocery store, so no artisanal pie for me this weekend.

But PINEAPPLE PIE!!!???? Who ever thought of that one?
Would try.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 01-25-20, 05:36 AM
  #3090  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,103

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11983 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 708 Posts
Don’t put pineapple in your Jello mold.

Ah, the wisdom from the 1970’s.

It’s raining. Time to go downstairs for fake miles.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 05:48 AM
  #3091  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,169

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 623 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13057 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
It would depend upon my mood, ​​​​but I would have likely done the same (nothing). I'm not bothered by silence and I don't feel the need to assuage someone that is, whether they're uncomfortable with it in general or with mine, specifically. Honestly, if someone obnoxious finds it awkward and uncomfortable, I tend to relish it even more.
I get the impression that some people would inwardly start to panic if they had to sit or stand in silence for a few minutes with a stranger.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 01-25-20, 05:49 AM
  #3092  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,308

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5201 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 585 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
That's kind of where this goes, but I'll see if it's relatable.

...

I'm guessing I'm not alone here, but for me whenever I'm in a social setting with someone new, the first time they comment on me not saying much, I'm like, "yeah, you're right." But then it gets more every time they say it thereafter.

The End.
Giant noise-cancelling headphones solve this and many other problems.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-25-20, 05:49 AM
  #3093  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,169

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 623 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13057 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 235 Posts
I calculated from the data of my last five witch doctor visits that my average temperature is 97.5F.

https://notes.childrenshospital.org/...ver-new-study/
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 01-25-20, 05:56 AM
  #3094  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,169

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 623 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13057 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Giant noise-cancelling headphones solve this and many other problems.
I don't have a problem with random conversation, per se, but too often it's forced small talk.

What's really annoying is when a stranger repeatedly brings up your "quietness," as if you have a duty to yap with them, on their terms.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 01-25-20, 06:10 AM
  #3095  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,542

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6028 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Overland?

Are you bicycle touring back to Mexico?
Train and bus. Thinking I'll just stop with the flying thing. I don't travel that much anymore anyway, and I love the train and hate the flight. Time? What's a little bit of time, to me?
But that's a very good idea.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Here too. Lots of fear, alienation, and rage in this failing country.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 06:28 AM
  #3096  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,439

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7540 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I get the impression that some people would inwardly start to panic if they had to sit or stand in silence for a few minutes with a stranger.
Sometimes the behavior you described is due to loneliness, wherein these people just don’t get out much and seek human contact when it presents itself.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 06:36 AM
  #3097  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 214 Posts
I’ll never understand the person that has to hear themselves speak, And continue even when it is obvious nobody else cares.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 06:50 AM
  #3098  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,308

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5201 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 585 Posts
Real miles coming up this morning. That cold or sinusitis or whatever I had set me so far back that the Austin Half will be done essentially as a training run, unfortunately.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 06:50 AM
  #3099  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,439

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7540 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 574 Posts
Oh gawd, lately I’ve been having these early morning cravings for bagels from this excellent bagel shop just a half mile from me. Basically just down the block, basically. It’s a pitched battle as I know that once I relax my resistance it’s going to cost me a couple inches on the waistline, and I truly hate a belly as it takes so long to get it off.

Damn bagels.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 06:54 AM
  #3100  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,308

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5201 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 585 Posts
Tell yourself that a bagel isn't even close to worth the effort to resolve. That's where I've gotten to - if something's going to be craved, it had better be ice cream or something else truly indulgent. A bagel? No.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.