Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc Brake Mineral Oil Brands, CVS VS Finish Line

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 09:39 AM
rogerbrener

Bikes: 1988 Trek 850, 2018 Specialized Sirrus Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question, Is it okay to use the Clear Mineral Oil you get at your local drug store like CVS that's used sometimes for a Laxative instead of the more expensive Red Tinted Finish Line Mineral Oil. I don't see any difference except for the tint. Tektro Brakes. on a Specialized Carbon Sirrus. Thank You for the Help. Roger, Vista, Ca
Old 04-06-20, 09:44 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
No.

Is it ok to drink methanol rather than ethanol? I don't see any difference with that, either.

The viscosity of the Shimano stuff is different. The MSDS (PDF download from Shimano) lists other components.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-06-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
No.

Is it ok to drink methanol rather than ethanol? I don't see any difference with that, either.

"Clear Mineral Oil" that you get in a drug store is most likely glycerol.

The viscosity of the Shimano stuff is different. The MSDS (PDF download from Shimano) lists other components.
Are you sure. I thought glycerol was plant and animal sources. Mineral oil as suggested by the name "mineral" should be a petroleum product.

However I wouldn't use it in my brakes just from asking here. I'd find out what the manufacturer of my brakes recommends. Why chance water absorption issues or something gumming up or swelling or disintegrating seals, hoses and other parts just because it was handy?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-06-20, 10:22 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you sure.
No. You are right. I now think that what I wrote (and now have deleted) is wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

(I assumed the stuff people use as a laxative was glycerol, but apparently not, and the idea of putting petroleum distillates in a GI tract seems kind of sketchy, especially if it is potentially a class 1 carcinogen.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-06-20 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 10:32 AM
rogerbrener

Bikes: 1988 Trek 850, 2018 Specialized Sirrus Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You for the Help. I looked up the MSDS for CVS Mineral oil and it states it's 100% Mineral oil, Petroleum Based. Didn't say Glycerol anywhere. I just thought someone had already been using it with success already. Feels Like High School Chem Class. Roger
Old 04-06-20, 10:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The only possible difference between CVS's mineral oil and the bike-specific mineral oil sold for use in disc brakes may be the boiling range since mineral oil is a mix of hydrocarbons, not a single chemical compound. You need to have the correct boiling range since too low will not tolerate the heat brakes develop.
Old 04-06-20, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Just because someone else may have used it, do you want to chance messing up what on many bikes is a pretty pricey item?

Admittedly, I haven't even read what Shimano recommends for my ultegra hydraulic brakes. But pure food or pharmaceutical grade seems like it wouldn't have the additives to help protect the brake lines and components from various things that are bad for a hydraulic system.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-06-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 11:21 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by rogerbrener
Didn't say Glycerol anywhere. ... Feels Like High School Chem Class. Roger
I was wrong about that, (and I teach chemistry, although not at high school, but sometimes it feels that way.)
Old 04-06-20, 12:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well I went back and read the DM on my r8050 STI's. It only recommends Shimano Mineral Oil. Since now it's easier for companies to claim their blends as a trade secret in the MSDS's now, it's a little harder to say if it's different. However there are some chemical names used in the description of it's formula that aren't used for other places I was able to find a MSDS on food grade mineral oils. The food grade mineral oils simply listed "mineral oil" in the COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS.

Perhaps the other things listed in Shimano's MSDS is just the red dye, but still, I'm currently of the opinion I'll only use their recommended product. Mainly because mine is still in warranty and even when out of warranty, I don't want to have to replace upwards of $400 worth of parts, shifters and disc brake calipers, just to save the extra cost of shimano's brake fluid.
Old 04-06-20, 01:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Why in the world would anyone try to save a few cents and risk a) malfunction of brakes b) invalidating warranty c) possible permanent damage to your disk brakes?

The ROI is not there and the ROD (risk of doing) is

I see these threads all the time i Mechanics and just don't get it.

ok that said of of my lawn whipper snappers