Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Child seat for my Marin bike

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 09:43 AM
sgandu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Marin Muirwoods bike (hybrid/city 29er). I would like to get a front or rear child seat that is (1) safe, (2) comfortable for the child who is a small 18 month old (5%) (3) easy to install/uninstall every time I go out for a ride (4) preferable available on amazon prime
Old 06-30-14, 10:12 AM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The seat that best meets all of your criteria would be the Yepp Mini: Robot Check

The Ibert is less expensive and easy to install/uninstall, but the "stinger" part that's left after you uninstall it is obtrusive. It also provides less back support and, while it has a higher weight limit, is outgrown by length much earlier than the Yepp Mini.
Old 07-04-14, 10:41 AM
sgandu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will I need the adapter for the Yepp Mini?
Any other options I should consider? I was looking at the Topeak Babyseat II.
Old 07-22-14, 12:40 PM
draco_m

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not trendy-looking but I have hundreds and hundreds of happy miles with my toddler on the Beto seat. You'll like the price. Here is a review I wrote:

Beto Standard Child Bike Seat Review
Old 07-22-14, 09:02 PM
Steltek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Thule RideAlong. It's a new rear seat that attaches to your seat tube, which gives it a bit of flex for absorbing bumps compared to other rear seats. It also has a tilting feature in case your LO develops a tendency to fall asleep back there.
Old 08-13-14, 02:23 PM
sgandu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. The Yepp Mini will need a special adapter on my bike. The Ibert will be outgrown too soon. The Beto is not available anywhere online I see. The Thule RideAlong looks nice but like the Topeak Babyseat II its a rear seat - I am reading that front mounted seats are safer and more fun for the child. How is the WeeRide LTD Kangaroo?
Old 08-13-14, 02:51 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thousands of miles on the Sleepy with my son from about 8-9 months of age. It is still in use and he is almost 4 years old (46.5 months).

https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A3403281%2Cp_4%3AHamax

Easy to mount and swap between bikes or just remove for a solo ride. Easy meaning seconds. I do need to raise the seat on my wife's bike to get it on and off. I have a cable lock locking it through my chainstays.

It provides a great ride; we have used it on gravel, dirt, and all paved surfaces. I need to slow to about 10 mph over speed bumps.

I think he can see enough around me to enjoy the ride. I only have a hard time hearing him when I am pounding it, in traffic, or with wind noise. We carry on regular conversations otherwise.

I ride a 56 cm Surly LHT and my wife has a Civia Midtown (probably a small) for geometry comparison.

Last edited by joeyduck; 08-13-14 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgotten link
Old 08-14-14, 04:17 PM
mel2012

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Like the iBert, I think the WeeRide is likely to be outgrown by height fairly quickly, even though it has a high weight limit. It also may not install easily on your bike. That's actually the first seat we tried and we couldn't get it to fit on either my bike or my husband's bike. Have you looked at the Bobike Mini? It uses a single adapter for both threaded and threadless headsets. My son will be 4 in September, is 41" and just hit the weight limit of 33 lbs. BobikeUSA
Old 08-15-14, 06:02 AM
sgandu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Yepp Mini with adapter. Going to try out this evening when it arrives. Any idea when the Yepp Mini will be outgrown? My girl is 18 months, but a tiny 19lbs and 29 inches.
Old 08-15-14, 10:04 AM
mel2012

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Determining when it will be outgrown will also depend on the geometry of your bike, namely: (1) how much knee room your child has based on your handlebar shape and the seat-mounting height; and (2) how far you have to bend over to reach your handlebars (such that your child's head would interfere with you bending over. Part of the reason I've been able to keep my son in the Bobike Mini until 4 is that I have North Road style handlebars that curve out to give him more knee room and curve back toward me for easy reach. If you have flat bars and a threadless headset, your child may be hitting her knees by 3. The front seat is definitely more fun though, even if it doesn't have as much longevity.
Old 08-18-14, 11:20 AM
sgandu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Yepp, installed it in 15 minutes easily, turns out I didn't need the adapter. The seat is simply awesome. My kid loves it and it makes no difference to my riding. I have bars similar to North Road and can see the seat working for us for another 2 years.
Old 08-18-14, 11:29 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, it is nice to get the wee ones on the bike with you.
Old 04-24-20, 05:54 PM
jennifercollins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wondering if you had trouble getting your child seat on your Marin bike. I am looking at buying one but my child seat (Polisport) won't fit on the frame. Has anyone else had this problem?