Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

95 GT Backwoods front disc install

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-23-14, 08:32 AM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I'm looking to change the fork and front wheel on my '95 GT Backwoods so I can install a disc brake and use it for winter commuting. It currently has cantilever brakes (not v) that work fine in dry conditions however they don't do much in the wet and snow.

Because it has cantilever brake levers integrated with the shifters, I would like to keep them and not end up replacing the shifter as well. I've been doing a little research and I believe an Avid BB7 ROAD disc brake has the correct pull ratio to work with those levers. My question is whether the mounting points on a road disc brake will be compatible with a rigid MTB disc fork. Can anyone confirm?

I want a BB7 brake because I read they require less frequent adjustment than BB5's or Tektro Lyra brakes (and just work better).

I figure I should be able to do the whole swap for less than $150 if I bargain hunt.
Old 08-23-14, 11:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2389 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 349 Posts
The road BB-7 should have the same caliper mounting relationships as the ATB version does. Only the pad actuating arm movement is different. I wouldn't claim the BB-7s need less frequent tweaking, just that the tweaking is easier because both pads can be turned in or out. Andy.