Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a bike for commuting; need opinions

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Looking to buy a bike for commuting; need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 03:55 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ahh...the weekly thread from the guy that just joined the forum and wants others to do all his research for him and then wants to argue with the answers
Old 09-17-13, 03:56 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Kilo TT
Old 09-17-13, 04:01 PM
Shimura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Ahh...the weekly thread from the guy that just joined the forum and wants others to do all his research for him and then wants to argue with the answers
Actually I never argued with anyone's answers.. I just asked to elaborate on their opinions. While it helps to hear "oh i like this one, i think it's better."

It would help even more if someone said something like "oh i like this one, because it has this and this and the other options don't."

But nice try.

Kilo TT
I'll look into that one, too. Thanks.

Last edited by Shimura; 09-17-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 05:38 PM
seanifred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe he should try a tallbike, since he seems to be a fan of high horses.

also,

?

We were all trying to help you out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TROLLS---1992-008.jpg (31.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by seanifred; 09-17-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 05:45 PM
Shimura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seanifred
Maybe he should try a tallbike, since he seems to be a fan of high horses.

also,

I didn't know the cycling community was so sensitive.

In this thread we have one average citizen asking for educated opinions on cheap bicycles and a bunch of children getting upset because they could not explain their opinions.

I never told anyone here that they were wrong or said something that implied I did not appreciate the advice, I just asked for a more in-depth answer. If you can't explain why you think a certain way, why would I take your advice? Better off winging it if that's the case lol.

However, I will probably go with the moto since 3+ people agreed that it was good quality for the price. No one explained what was better about it than the others, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited by Shimura; 09-17-13 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 06:29 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kilo TT
Old news.

Replaced with Moto Fixie Record.

Which just happens to come with only a freewheel.
Old 09-17-13, 06:30 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimura
I didn't know the cycling community was so sensitive.
Says the only guy in this thread getting bent out of shape.

In this thread we have one average citizen asking for educated opinions on cheap bicycles and a bunch of children getting upset because they could not explain their opinions.
TejanoTrackie is most likely old enough to be your dad (if not your granddad) and knows more about bikes than you ever will. He's also a really informative forum member and a good guy to have on your side, yet you chose to make him not want to bother with you.

/lessonlearned
Old 09-17-13, 06:32 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Shimura, you came on here, asked a question that DOES get asked every week (damned near every second day), then started having issues because you don't know enough about these simple machines to understand the answers you were getting.

The answers to your questions are ALL in the stickied threads at the top of the forum. Seeing you're so much more intelligent than us, go read the flamin' things.

If you want to start having issues with users on this forum, don't expect to get detailed answers to questions to you don't even have to search for, just browse the bloody forum, you'll find most of them on the first page.

And thank your lucky stars I was stupid enough to waste my time giving you a real answer because quite frankly, with your attitude, you don't deserve it.

BTW, a specific answer to your question is KiloTT. If you don't understand the answer, you haven't done your research.
Old 09-17-13, 06:38 PM
Shimura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lmfao, right after you claim I'm the only one getting bent out of shape, you all go into detail about how i must've learned my lesson now and how I should've read the stickies. Trust me, it's not me getting bent out of shape. It's funny how I'm the one taking the defensive here, but you're all basically claiming that I'm the aggressor.

Nah bro. The fact remains that I did nothing wrong by asking for an extended answer. I never "provoked" such actions from any members here. All I got were responses like "Wow go buy a wal-mart bike then, have fun when it breaks down" and facepalm.jpegs. If you think you guys are good samaritans for acting like that, you're plain wrong. SO if you want to be upset, go ahead. I've got the info I need now, thanks.

P.S. it doesn't matter how old you are. If you act like a child, you are a child. immature people get old too, you know.
Old 09-17-13, 06:44 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I think you can still get them from Bikes Direct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Armored+Bike.jpg (54.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-17-13, 06:52 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Yerp.
Old 09-17-13, 08:02 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm guessing that at least part of the reason why people are not wanting to give OP much information is that it has been covered in a lot of other threads, but the Fixie Record hasn't actually been discussed in any other thread before and I'm not even sure that anyone has actually even ridden it, so OP's question is legitimate, even if we might get insulted that he doesn't just take TT's word for it. To answer, the question of why it might be prefered OP you should looks at the parts list. For example, the Fixie Record indicates that there is room for a rear fender which might be important. The Fixie Record is made out of aluminum which might make it less prone to rust and lighter but also a somewhat harsher ride. It doesn't have any geometry charts posted yet so that is somewhat unknown but it appears to have a somewhat more roadlike geometry with the upward sloping toptube, so that probably makes it more commute appropriate than the Kilo TT and the dawes. All in all, it wins over the clockwork because of the material and the fact that it is cheaper. There is a review of it here.

When someone answers a question in a way that isn't informative it really doesn't help if you say "I don't mean any disrespect but ..." You really should have gone and looked at the spec charts and been specific: Are these rims better than those? (not really), Does anyone know where a geometry chart for the Fixie Record is? (ask bikesdirect customer service. In fact, asking BikesDirect customer service would have been the best way to go from the start.) Can the Windsor graphics be easily removed? etc.

The computer analogy was apt. Imagine someone asks you to choose between a list of laptops that they are considering with a variety of competitive but differing stats. There will be competing arguments for each of them but you as an expert will have a gestalt opinion without having a fully articulated reason why you think the computer with the lower ram will actually be the better one for the person asking.
Old 09-18-13, 04:09 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
The Windsor and Dawes are basically the same bike. The Moto is also the same bike except it's aluminum. The Takara isn't actually a bike, although it looks like one. I'd go with the Dawes.
Old 09-18-13, 06:32 AM
nindustrial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks gregjones, I have used those clamps before, but found them a bit slippery, especially on bumpy roads. Maybe I didn't install them right, but I found it hard to get them tight enough with the tube so they wouldn't slip on the tube. With the weight of the rack (and bags) and the bumpy roads, they 'shimmy' down until they hit the dropouts, and scratch up the frame a lot. This is why I was hoping for a frame with built-in threaded braze-ons.

Originally Posted by gregjones
I have used these scratch free. They work fine and were problem free. You can save bucks by getting P-clamps and hardware at HD or Lowe's but how much do you intend to save on a $6 kit?? I can't see it being worth the trouble.

A search search should turn up racks that have legs that go over the axles. I have never used or paid any attention to that style.

The bike I am using a rack on now had bosses at the top of the seat stays, but I am using this seat collar. On this bike, with the rack that I have, using this collar just made everything look more "sanitary".
Old 09-18-13, 06:34 AM
nindustrial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh good to hear they can support the weight, thanks TejanoTrackie..

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Those are not "braze-ons", but instead simply threaded holes in the dropouts themselves that are quite capable of supporting a rack.
Old 09-18-13, 06:38 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Oh good, another snarky new guy talking down to knowledgeable people.
Old 09-18-13, 06:39 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nindustrial
Thanks gregjones, I have used those clamps before, but found them a bit slippery, especially on bumpy roads. Maybe I didn't install them right, but I found it hard to get them tight enough with the tube so they wouldn't slip on the tube. With the weight of the rack (and bags) and the bumpy roads, they 'shimmy' down until they hit the dropouts, and scratch up the frame a lot. This is why I was hoping for a frame with built-in threaded braze-ons.
That's interesting mate. I use P-clamps with a bit of inner tube underneath without a problem and I would have though the coating on those clamps would have done as well. Maybe try a bit of inner tube. You're right though, proper threaded mounts on the frame are the best way ... but you have to pay for 'extras' like that.
Old 09-18-13, 06:40 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Oh good, another snarky new guy talking down to knowledgeable people.
Nah mate, he's only talking down to us.

Is this a good time to ask about an apprenticeship in your shop
Old 09-18-13, 07:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yep.
Old 09-18-13, 07:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Probably the best thing going for the motobecane cross single speed is that it can take a fat tire. It comes stock with a 700 by 32c and can take up to a 42c. Wheels are relatively expensive and you can destroy them. A fatter tire makes the ride a bit cushier, helps protect the wheel, and makes it easier to ride over rough stuff. That said, some people like commuting on much narrower tires. Personally I'd go with the moto in my size. You can't always pick your line in commuting so being able to ride over the rough stuff is a plus for me.
Old 05-28-14, 11:58 PM
youreagoodguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I registered, literally, just to tell @prooftheory that he's a good person. A good, level-headed person among a bunch of pompous circlejerkers. So, thank you. (I found this thread by looking for the same information the OP was looking for.)

Seriously people, have some self-awareness. It's easy to get caught up in your own positions, denigrating ignorant outsiders and scoffing when they don't have the knowledge it took you years to acquire. None of this information is obvious. If someone wants a stock bike without upgrades, it should be a reasonably simple thing to respond with "Well, I prefer Bike A because of X, Y, and Z, but Bike B does have U and V." Instead, many of the responses really have given no justification for their choices, and the defensiveness at being asked to provide reasons for that choice indicates some level of anxiety at being wrong in providing evidence for that preference - because it sure as hell doesn't take any more time to give coherent, courteous responses than it does to tell OP he's an idiot. I've been a significant, high-profile veteran of forums before; I know how this goes. It's like being at a party talking with your cohort and a new guy comes up and tries to work his way into the circle. There's natural resistance because we're all a bunch of dumb apes who favor the ingroup, even when it's something as nonthreatening as an online interaction.

But If there aren't nuances to add, then why not just put a big sticky at the top that says "BUY A KILO TT AND SHUT UP so we can keep posting pics of our decked-out fixies that we dropped hundreds of extra dollars on to make look like the finest $100 flashy crapfixies out there." That is to say: in the current stickies, there is no clear, quick go-to post that summarizes the pros and cons of the common fixies out there.

tl;dr stop being dicks to n00bs. If there's a clear ranking of stock bikes then someone should make a post with the pros and cons of common SSFG's and sticky it. It doesn't benefit anyone to have this information hidden away in the bowels of the message board. I implore one or many of you to put this information down in writing in a single, easily-accessible spot. You'd prove that you're one of these "knowledgeable people" scrod mentioned AND you'd cut down on these n00b question threads.

And lighten the hell up.

Originally Posted by prooftheory
I'm guessing that at least part of the reason why people are not wanting to give OP much information is that it has been covered in a lot of other threads, but the Fixie Record hasn't actually been discussed in any other thread before and I'm not even sure that anyone has actually even ridden it, so OP's question is legitimate, even if we might get insulted that he doesn't just take TT's word for it. To answer, the question of why it might be prefered OP you should looks at the parts list. For example, the Fixie Record indicates that there is room for a rear fender which might be important. The Fixie Record is made out of aluminum which might make it less prone to rust and lighter but also a somewhat harsher ride. It doesn't have any geometry charts posted yet so that is somewhat unknown but it appears to have a somewhat more roadlike geometry with the upward sloping toptube, so that probably makes it more commute appropriate than the Kilo TT and the dawes. All in all, it wins over the clockwork because of the material and the fact that it is cheaper. There is a review of it here.

When someone answers a question in a way that isn't informative it really doesn't help if you say "I don't mean any disrespect but ..." You really should have gone and looked at the spec charts and been specific: Are these rims better than those? (not really), Does anyone know where a geometry chart for the Fixie Record is? (ask bikesdirect customer service. In fact, asking BikesDirect customer service would have been the best way to go from the start.) Can the Windsor graphics be easily removed? etc.

The computer analogy was apt. Imagine someone asks you to choose between a list of laptops that they are considering with a variety of competitive but differing stats. There will be competing arguments for each of them but you as an expert will have a gestalt opinion without having a fully articulated reason why you think the computer with the lower ram will actually be the better one for the person asking.

Last edited by youreagoodguy; 05-29-14 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 12:13 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
why not just put a big sticky at the top that says "BUY A KILO TT AND SHUT UP

That is the only useful thing you said
Old 05-29-14, 12:20 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Kilo TT
#kiloTT
Old 06-04-14, 10:51 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe he wants a supermodel to go with those shiny colored wheels!