Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bar-Extender : DiY - of some nice and powerful solutions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 02:12 AM
apollodriver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

ever thought of using a bar extender for your touring bike!?

saw the 'BarYak which is pretty nice - but question : cant we do such things as DiY

see
https://www.pinterest.de/pin/315885361345370959/
and

https://shorturl.at/aesP3

can we do this with aluminium full profile

Last edited by apollodriver; 04-15-24 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 02:24 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 340 Posts
A lot of bar-extenders, also known as a double-clamp, are not stiff enough to resist the torque of handlebar forces when climbing, and most especially the very long version in one of your links. Most are designed to just hold a stub tube to hold accessories like lights, computer, bell, etc. Just for hand grips as an aero-bar might work, but better to use clip-on bars designed for that. Even if the double-clamp held up in stress, at what, 3 or 4X the length, that's how much any flex would also increase. Stout double-clamps such as those I have seen come on some Tern bikes, are both shorter and more stout in construction:

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/acce...72/andros-stem
Old 04-14-24, 06:46 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 241 Posts
Bar-Extender¿?

here we tour with 4 full panniers! ;())))))
Likes For str:
Old 04-14-24, 09:05 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 446 Posts
I use aerobars.
Old 04-15-24, 04:51 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I make a ton of stuff myself as I find it interesting and challenging at times. My view is that anything can be a DIY project. The individual is only limited by the scope of the project and how it matches up to their skills and resources.
Recently I made my own "anything" cages to be mounted on the fork blades. I looked at what was out there and made mine using a less complex design that has little chance of failure should the bike and I end up in a wreck. I have made bottle holders for 64oz bottles, brackets of all sorts and even a couple of touring frames.
There is nothing that cannot be a DIY project.
Old 04-15-24, 04:57 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I make a ton of stuff myself as I find it interesting and challenging at times. My view is that anything can be a DIY project. The individual is only limited by the scope of the project and how it matches up to their skills and resources.
Recently I made my own "anything" cages to be mounted on the fork blades. I looked at what was out there and made mine using a less complex design that has little chance of failure should the bike and I end up in a wreck. I have made bottle holders for 64oz bottles, brackets of all sorts and even a couple of touring frames.
There is nothing that cannot be a DIY project.
I agree. I used to do the same when I had access to a full metal shop at my former employers. Plus I was qualified on everything, having worked doing that before and during college.
Old 04-15-24, 06:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by apollodriver
ever thought of using a bar extender for your touring bike!?

saw the 'BarYak which is pretty nice - but question : cant we do such things as DiY

see
https://www.pinterest.de/pin/315885361345370959/
and

https://shorturl.at/aesP3

kann man so was nicht auch selber machen?
I am not really sure what your goal is?

For touring, I really do not want to put my hands further forward than the hoods. And if I did, I would use aero bars.

And as noted by Duragrouch, the further you are away from the stem or handlebar, the more torque you would be putting on the stem attachment, which could be problematic.

When threadless stems first came out, many had a two bolt plate to attach the handlebar to stem. And the handlebars often could slip when you hit bumps, etc. I can't remember the last time I saw a stem with only two bolts to attach handlebar to stem, now four is quite common. I had a two bolt one two decades ago, and every time I went over a rail road crossing or some other nasty bump, my handlebars shifted in the stem. I eventually bought a better stem with a four bolt plate.
Old 04-15-24, 12:30 PM
apollodriver

good day dear friends

first of all - many many thanks for the quick reply.

Duragrouch
agree. I used to do the same when I had access to a full metal shop at my former employers. Plus I was qualified on everything, having worked doing that before and during college.

i want to run the bike like here is shown see

a.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbos...-FVWTuQ-b3RJyg

b. https://www.flickr.com/photos/rlevan...-FVWTuQ-b3RJyg

many thanks
Tourist in MSN
I am not really sure what your goal is?
For touring, I really do not want to put my hands further forward than the hoods. And if I did, I would use aero bars.
And as noted by Duragrouch, the further you are away from the stem or handlebar, the more torque you would be putting on the stem attachment, which could be problematic.
When threadless stems first came out, many had a two bolt plate to attach the handlebar to stem. And the handlebars often could slip when you hit bumps, etc. I can't remember the last time I saw a stem with only two bolts to attach handlebar to stem, now four is quite common. I had a two bolt one two decades ago, and every time I went over a rail road crossing or some other nasty bump, my handlebars shifted in the stem. I eventually bought a better stem with a four bolt plate.

well do you think i can do this with a full - alu profile

see the full alu profile

see the easy version - not fully fledged

​​​​​​​
well i want ot have a fully fledget version .- like the baryak - but honestly - it is by far toooo expensive for me.
i want to do it on my own -

do you think i can take a full profile of Alu and create this on my own...
Old 04-16-24, 12:52 AM
Duragrouch

(above) If you are using long double clamps to hold bar-ends like a clip-on aero bar, if you are only pulling straight back on the handles, it might work, much less loading than handlebar climbing torque transmitted through the double clamp, that's bad. But note that the handles are above the clamps, so you will be putting bending moment on the long clamps.

The big no-no for the double clamps I have seen is any torsional loading; They all have narrow clamps with slots, and this is not proper for torsional loading.

I don't know your location (EDIT: I see on your profile, Germany), but in my city, there is a great bike shop with used parts, and they have excellent old Profile clip-on bars, originally $150+, for $20. Even if I had machine shop access, it wouldn't pay for me to try to make same.

If you want bars that swing forward and back to change position, I'd recommend the Tern double clamp as I previously linked to. It's proven, although it's really designed for city bikes, not performance bikes, so might still slip. The others, I would would not trust them to not break off as I am applying climbing torque to handlebar.

Just know, that clip-on aero bars, most are designed to clamp close on either side of the stem handlebar clamp, to save handlebar space, so may not work with a double clamp designed to clamp in the same space.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-16-24 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 06:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Tourist in MSN

see the full alu profile

well i want ot have a fully fledget version .- like the baryak - but honestly - it is by far toooo expensive for me.

​​​​​​​I have not worked in a machine shop, I have no clue on that.
Old 04-16-24, 07:42 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
What is your goal?

Is it to have additional hand positions, e.g. aerobars?
Is it to have additional places to put equipment like lights and similar?
Is it some combination of both?

I have the bar extender that you show in the picture above. It is sufficient to put some additional light things (e.g. lights, cycle computer). It does not however, strong enough or set up enough for me to put any sort of weight/leverage that might be implied by hand positions. If I were doing that, I would look more at handlebar options including aerobars.

As far as your ability to make something, I think you are in much better position to know whether you have skills needed.
Old 04-16-24, 07:54 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
good day dear friends

first of all - many many thanks for the quick reply.

Duragrouch

i want to run the bike like here is shown see

a.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbos...-FVWTuQ-b3RJyg

b. https://www.flickr.com/photos/rlevan...-FVWTuQ-b3RJyg

many thanks
Tourist in MSN

see the full alu profile

I have these extenders (not for holding onto obviously) on two of my bikes for help with keeping the bas away from the cables and to attach additional "stuff" onto the bars (computer, light, bell, etc).
Old 04-17-24, 01:41 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 249 Posts
The OP contraption sticking out 6 inches is as suicidal as it gets. One pot hole and boom.
Obviously the bike must also be 2 sizes too SMALL. WTF.
My steel DIY threaded stems have two bolts >> M8, so they are strong as a horse. Bar is chrome steel as well.
My IGH shifters are on the top tube where they belong.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-17-24 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-17-24, 05:58 PM
apollodriver

hi there many thanks for the repies and for all your explanations

btw - see this example - that comes with some exrta extenders - for holding onto - obviously

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbos...-LYz1rh-b3RJyg

btw - i do not want to show fotos - since i do not want to infringe any copyrights - but well - what about all the BarYAK and similar versions - i think that baryak is working towards such a goal -: to place some extra point for holding onto

what do you folks say to this

llook forward to read your comments.
Old 04-17-24, 10:36 PM
Duragrouch

btw - see this example - that comes with some exrta extenders - for holding onto - obviously

btw - i do not want to show fotos - since i do not want to infringe any copyrights - but well - what about all the BarYAK and similar versions - i think that baryak is working towards such a goal -: to place some extra point for holding onto

The extender in the link above is well engineered, much stronger in vertical strength, however still may be torsionally too flexible. But to hold just aero bar grips, I think is adequate.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
​​​​​​​I have not worked in a machine shop, I have no clue on that.
I have, and it's a ton of work (mostly for the smooth rounded profiles, need a rotary table for that, unless you program a CNC mill) to create what can be bought cheap, cheap because based on pre-shaped extrusions, or CNC milled or both.

OP: You've inspired me to perhaps make a change on my bike, I want the clip-on aero bars to be higher, but would not use cheap double clamps because they are too weak to raise the whole handlebar, and the strong Tern part would sit in the place where I need to clamp the aeros. But I think raising only the aero bar, with double clamps spaced farther outboard, and then the aero bar inboard of that, may work, and the loads I put on the aero bar are at least an order of magnitude lower than the handlebar, I don't climb on the aero bars. EDIT: I forgot, Profile makes a whole range of clamp spacers to raise my bars, I just didn't want to spend $47+tax+shipping for two relatively simple spacers. So I don't need double clamps at all, for those bars. However I have another set of profile clip-on bars where the bars attach to the *lower* half of the clamp, so vertical spacers do no good, and, I can't invert the clamps because the arm pads only attach to the proper top side of the clamp.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-17-24 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-18-24, 04:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Both Duragrouch and I have mentioned the problem of putting a lot of torque on the handlebar and stem connection with a long cantilever arm like that.

Thus, if you put a lot of weight on the end of that thing you construct, it could be problematic. And I can't see it being a good way to steer a bike.

Aero bars stick out pretty far forward to, but they are not intended to put a lot of weight on, with those you put your arms on some pads attached to the handlebar so that very little weight is on the aero bars.

I do not think you will be happy with the result if you build it, but it is pretty clear that you intend to.
Old 04-20-24, 11:59 AM
apollodriver

good day -

first of all: many many thanks for the reply and all your ideas - and thoughts that you share with us all
n the handlebar and stem connection with a long cantilever arm like that.
Thus, if you put a lot of weight on the end of that thing you construct, it could be problematic. And I can't see it being a good way to steer a bike.
Aero bars stick out pretty far forward to, but they are not intended to put a lot of weight on, with those you put your arms on some pads attached to the handlebar so that very little weight is on the aero bars.I do not think you will be happy with the result if you build it, but it is pretty clear that you intend to.
fully agreed - btw. the folks that run a barYak - they use it under heavy conditions - in other words - sometimes i saw that there are options ot uput the arms on some pads attached

see one version of the extended barYak
well .- how do you think this aluminium consturcion is made - and much Nm we can put on it -

image source: https://salenzvs.live/product_details/107932895.html
Old 04-20-24, 07:56 PM
Duragrouch

good day -

first of all: many many thanks for the reply and all your ideas - and thoughts that you share with us all

fully agreed - btw. the folks that run a barYak - they use it under heavy conditions - in other words - sometimes i saw that there are options ot uput the arms on some pads attached

see one version of the extended barYak
well .- how do you think this aluminium consturcion is made - and much Nm we can put on it -

image source: https://salenzvs.live/product_details/107932895.html
I need that handlebar if the center section is 25.4 mm, it looks wider in width than my current flat bar, and a set of clip-on aero bars would clamp on the tapered transition on mine, neither the center big diameter or the smaller outboard diameter. But that bar might be one of the newer larger diameter ones.

I looked up the Bar Yak; From the side views, it has tons of lightening slots and holes in it. It will hold fore/aft loads and a bit of vertical load if it doesn't rotate the handlebar itself, but any torsional loading like if you held the top/front bar while climbing, it would twist.

For torsional rigidity without excess weight, you need a closed-section, i.e., a rectangular, round, or oval tube.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-20-24 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 10:08 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch

I looked up the Bar Yak; From the side views, it has tons of lightening slots and holes in it. It will hold fore/aft loads and a bit of vertical load if it doesn't rotate the handlebar itself, but any torsional loading like if you held the top/front bar while climbing, it would twist.
l use one on our Tandem. It holds my phone and bike computer quite well and I don’t have to look down as far.
Old 04-21-24, 10:25 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
l use one on our Tandem. It holds my phone and bike computer quite well and I don’t have to look down as far.
Oh for cargo or instruments, looks fine. It won't take the same loads as closed-section aerobars, but if a lot lower cost, a good solution for those. For equal money, I would buy good aerobars.