Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Buying a temporary cruiser and have a couple of questions

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 04:20 AM
AlohaFromHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!

I'm originally from Sweden, but am spending 2 and a half years studying in Hawaii, and I really miss my Electra cruiser back home. I am looking to buy something relatively inexpensive that will last the 2 and a half years, but because of the high theft rate I want to buy something that won't be as likely to be stolen. I know that the Huffy cruisers at the local department store are not the same quality (at all) as the Electra, but would they last for my stay? I know it wouldn't be at high risk for being stolen.

I would probably be using the bike almost every day, and unfortunately it has to be stored outside (in a shaded area).

The reason I ask is that the only Huffy bike I ever owned when I was younger lasted a very long time (15 years) with my dad's regular maintenance. The only reason I don't still have it is because it was stolen in Sweden. I think it was a Huffy Bradford Comfort Cruise.

I am willing to raise my budget up to about 250 dollars if necessary. I also do not have any tools for bike maintenance, and have only ever pumped tires on my own. I am just looking for a temporary bike to use when I am here. Thanks in advance for your advice,

May
Old 02-02-15, 05:12 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I don't see why not. I have a Huffy single speed cruiser that I bought at Walmart for ~$80usd 10 years ago. I actually bought two, the first one had a hub self destruct in the first couple of weeks, so it was returned. My only caveat would be, if purchase one to have someone go through it for you and check for adjustment and grease. FWIW there is a bike rental service in Savannah, GA that uses Huffy bikes. Most of theirs are over 5 years old and still going strong.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-02-15, 08:46 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
For the same money, I'd be looking around CraigsList or other classified sources for a used, better-name cruiser. ...like Electra, Trek, Felt, Kona or any of the other bike-shop brands which have manufactured cruisers.

We had one customer who rode a dept. store cruiser into the ground in only a year, but he was rather lackadaisical about maintenance and things like the crank loosening up on him...
Old 02-02-15, 05:08 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Phat bikes. Their basic model sells in a bike store for $169 while the basic Electra is $249. They're much better than the $120 Schwinns at Wal Mart.
Old 02-02-15, 09:29 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Tough question in your situation. I wouldn't buy new but in your situation it might be your best bet, but at $250 that's pretty high for just a temporary bike. IF theft is a big concern buying a name brand is going to be attractive to thieves so you're better off with something cheap or something used especially since you'll be storing it outside and you're not familiar with the mechanics nor tools for repairing it on your own.

Reserve enough money to buy at least a $40-ish or more U-lock. It'll be your best bet against theft other than keeping it indoors. I bought my daughter a $50 cruiser and a $40 lock because her previous one had been stolen, piece of mind mainly.

One thought is the students (seniors) leaving often cannot take their bikes with them. If you make a friend in Hawaii before you get there, perhaps they can keep an eye out for you. Another option is some colleges have used bike stores locally. You'll pay more than private owner but hopefully they can give you a short warranty at least until you try it out. I generally don't pay more than $50-100 for one used and then you can use a few bucks to have it serviced as suggested above. Nothing flashy, try to stay unnoticed.

Additionally instead of investing in a nicer bike, invest in some really nice lights, something portable and with at least 250 lumens for the headlight. You need to see (not just be seen) at night. Many good ones for well under $100, clip on the handlebar, remove easily so they don't get stolen and charge via USB.
This Cygolite 500 lumens is on sale for $70 with the low (long lasting setting) probably around 250 lumens.
CygoLite Metro 500 USB LED Headlight

Check out this thread for someone going to University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) with a similar question.
https://www.bikeforums.net/beach-crui...sla-vista.html
Old 02-03-15, 08:45 PM
AlohaFromHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice everyone
Unfortunately, there is only one used bicycle shop in my area, and they don't have anything for under $200.
Phat bicycles sadly don't have a retailer on my island, and most of the Local Bike Shops only carry Electra brand cruisers.
I'm a little weary of Craig's list since I won't have any form of warranty, but I check it regularly in case anything pops up.
Even though the bike would be kept outside at night, it will be inside a padlocked metal cage, chained to a metal rod. I was more worried about rusting due to my proximity to the ocean and the salty air. I wouldn't be leaving it locked for long periods of time elsewhere, just shopping and going to the beach. Maybe I could try to learn some basic maintenance myself to keep the bike in better condition. Thanks again, I'll let you know what I decide
Old 02-05-15, 06:32 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Basic maintenance: keep the tires pumped up and the chain lubed (especially with your proximity to the ocean) and you should easily get 2+ years. Seems to me the 2 major things that wreck bikes are low or flat tires and rusty chains. Good luck.
Old 02-05-15, 11:52 PM
AlohaFromHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up ordering a basic 1 speed Electra cruiser (the mint color I wanted was out of stock). The people at the LBS were really helpful, and I'll have free access to their air pump as well as a first free tune-up. What a difference when comparing with the less than helpful customer service at the Department store!
I should also be able to sell it and get a decent price when I leave Hawaii. If I shell out for a more expensive U lock and register it, they will replace the bike if someone breaks the lock and steals it.
I'm thinking of adding a front basket for carrying beach stuff, but Electra's own were at least 30 bucks
My bike should get here in less than two weeks, I can't wait to start cruising again!
Thanks again for the advice everyone, here's hoping I made the right choice!