Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chrome Paint Pen -- I think this may work!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chrome Paint Pen -- I think this may work!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 10:52 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
I am about to try this myself on a fork crown with panto (early Ciocc) which once had chrome, then powder coated, but is now bare steel.
I will try to record and/or at least report my results.

I note that nobody applied this mystery pen paint to fully bare steel (well those chainstays on the Merckx were at least partially bare steel, plus residual chrome and some rust) and was wondering if some sort of primer is reco'd, at least to give a bit more rust prevention then whatever the chrome paint will provide?
But since that adds another variable I'm going to throw a Hail Mary and see what happens...

Last edited by unworthy1; 01-05-24 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 01-06-24, 10:51 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I am about to try this myself on a fork crown with panto (early Ciocc) which once had chrome, then powder coated, but is now bare steel.
I will try to record and/or at least report my results.

I note that nobody applied this mystery pen paint to fully bare steel (well those chainstays on the Merckx were at least partially bare steel, plus residual chrome and some rust) and was wondering if some sort of primer is reco'd, at least to give a bit more rust prevention then whatever the chrome paint will provide?
But since that adds another variable I'm going to throw a Hail Mary and see what happens...
Eager to see results
Old 01-11-24, 10:13 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

^please stand by^
other projects have interceded and have yet to put pen to forkcrown, but it's gonna happen one day soon!
Old 01-17-24, 09:13 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Not sure if this is useful--perhaps for those with 50th anniversary components and such--but this same company also makes a "gold" chrome pen.
Old 01-17-24, 09:27 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I bought a chrome pen after seeing this thread, and after using it on my chrome stays, I found a second use for it with plastic and metal model kits. I'm going to be buying these pens regularly.
Old 01-17-24, 09:46 AM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts
^^ Both GREAT results shown above. Went from 20% appeal to 80%. All for $9. WIN!

Count me in as a believer. Ordered.
Old 01-19-24, 04:43 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Started my experiment with a double-tip Zeyar brand "Liquid Chrome" pen (made in China, bought on Amazon)
I'm trying to document the steps but my photo skills (oh Hell, I blame my equipment!) will leave much to be desired...but here goes:

I stripped the crummy dull aluminum-looking paint off this once-chrome-plated CIOCC crown so it's not exactly the "before" pic, but this is one side with rough sanding

this is opposite side with same level sanding using emery cloth

one side with 2 more levels sanded with wet/dry paper then gray 3M pad, it's not "perfect" but I consider it "smooth enough" for this fork

same deal on opposite side, next going to wipe the raw steel with alcohol and make ready for the pen (but ambient weather is too wet and cold so that's going to be in a day or two)
My hope is this "chrome" will look (and wear) well enough to satisfy me, if the crown does then the only other bits on the frame I will give the treatment to are the stay caps, since they are also panto'd (and the powder-coat had filled in all detail)

Last edited by unworthy1; 01-19-24 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 01-20-24, 10:45 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

weather poor so lighting doesn't give best results but this looks better "in person"

Third try to get my text and a pic into a post without BF "timing me out" so i lose it all!
I applied the paint to one side of this crown and after overnight cure it is really quite good, better than any paint I tried before plus easy application (to a small surface)
Self-levelled and edges got crisper after drying, those little " pin-prick "spots are nearly invisible in life and shine very good, color a bit more like polished silver than chrome or nickel plating...but not bad at all!

only time will tell how this paint weathers and wears but my thumb is (so far) UP.
Old 01-20-24, 05:58 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

final shot (both sides of this crown) until the sun comes out (maybe next week?) and I may update again when I do the stay caps.
This just isn't good natural light for photographing chrome, IMO.

it looks better than my camera will record
Old 01-20-24, 07:48 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
Impressive

Old 01-26-24, 11:00 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
I finally used mine, sorry no photos quite yet. Campy NR downtube shifters, every part cleaned up beautiful except the chrome rusted off from the face of the "wing nuts". The chrome pen did a great job (after buffing the rust off with a white ScocthBrite pad, of course), you can just about still make out the Cmapy markings, as fine as they are on this small part. Also did a scrape on the top race of the Campy headset, almost as good.

Likes For tiger1964: