Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 05:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS

At some point, users will find that sealants don't work so well at higher pressures. There's an advantage to not needing as much pressure. My 30mm tires allow 87 psi with hooked rims, but punctures might not seal as well.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/hookless-technology
It’s not that I would run 87 psi with a 30 mm tyre. It’s the fact that there is a lot more margin that inspires confidence. For example I run 30 mm tyres on hooked rims at 65 psi. With hookless rims that would be within 8 psi of max vs 22 psi margin on hooked rims. I just feel more comfortable with the extra margin and don’t really see any meaningful compromise in performance.
Old 03-09-24, 07:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s not that I would run 87 psi with a 30 mm tyre. It’s the fact that there is a lot more margin that inspires confidence. For example I run 30 mm tyres on hooked rims at 65 psi. With hookless rims that would be within 8 psi of max vs 22 psi margin on hooked rims. I just feel more comfortable with the extra margin and don’t really see any meaningful compromise in performance.
Not that I think ETRTO has a lock on fully understanding everything, but per the same chart referenced earlier, the max PSI for a 30mm tire is supposedly the same as for a 34mm tire, which is 65psi. So, 'officially' you'd be living on the edge with a hookless rim :-)
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-10-24, 07:06 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There's always plenty of safety margin included in the published limit values. There has to be, just to cover variations in pressure gauge readings. There is no need to add your own extra safety margin. Using 75 psi instead of 73 isn't going to cause a problem. If your gauge isn't accurate, you could pump up to 70 and really have 65 or 75. I calibrate my gauges against a gauge that's been compared to several other new gauges. You can also buy expensive gauges with guaranteed higher accuracy.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pressure-gauges/
Old 03-10-24, 09:17 AM
PeteHski

There's always plenty of safety margin included in the published limit values. There has to be, just to cover variations in pressure gauge readings. There is no need to add your own extra safety margin. Using 75 psi instead of 73 isn't going to cause a problem. If your gauge isn't accurate, you could pump up to 70 and really have 65 or 75. I calibrate my gauges against a gauge that's been compared to several other new gauges. You can also buy expensive gauges with guaranteed higher accuracy.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pressure-gauges/
I agree with you, but a lot more margin is better if there is no downside, which in this case there isn’t. If I bought a bike that came with hookless wheels then I would be fine with then, but I would always choose hooked rims given a free choice.
Old 03-10-24, 09:23 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I suggest reading the info at the Giant website regarding hookless rims. Apparently, they couldn't care less what ETRTO or ISO have to say. They're confident that their wheels and tires will work at higher pressures.

At some point, users will find that sealants don't work so well at higher pressures. There's an advantage to not needing as much pressure. My 30mm tires allow 87 psi with hooked rims, but punctures might not seal as well.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/hookless-technology
Yeah, people need to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Period.
Old 03-10-24, 02:22 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I've been riding my hookless gravel wheels for a few weeks now and I'm completely sold on their benefits...at least for wide tires. They just feel really stiff with great power transfer, especially when doing those seated, high cadence climbs. Also the other day, I slipped in a road crack with the tire being squeezed hard on one side and the bead held strong. Mounting my 38c gravel tires on a 25mm internal width rim was already tough as-is. It would have to be a massive force to blow the bead out of the rim. I'd be curious to see how hookless wheels would handle on a narrow 25/28c tire.
Old 03-11-24, 04:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
If his wheels would have been hooked, this thread would still exist but would have the following title instead : ''Thomas De Gendt no fan of Vittoria''.

Old 03-11-24, 06:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Here's a recent video from the Peak Torque YouTube channel, posted a few days ago. The guy who makes the videos for that channel is a bike racer and engineer.

For the video, he calculated the complexity of design requirements and the costs involved in producing a hooked rim versus hookless and the benefits of each design. (Apparently, the main benefit for hookless is the substantial reduction in the cost of the molds.)

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-11-24, 08:13 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I'd be curious to see how hookless wheels would handle on a narrow 25/28c tire.
They work fine if you follow the manufacturer's instructions on rim width and tire pressure. 25mm tires mostly require hookless rims with 21mm IW or less. Most 28mm work with 25mm IW, per manufacturer instructions, but ETRTO says no. I've had no problems with 28 tires on 25mm IW hookless rims. Eventually I'll just use 30mm. My rear tires are all 30.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaig...-compatibility
Old 03-11-24, 09:06 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
If his wheels would have been hooked, this thread would still exist but would have the following title instead : ''Thomas De Gendt no fan of Vittoria''.
"Thomas De Gendt no fan of gravity."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-11-24, 11:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Here's a recent video from the Peak Torque YouTube channel, posted a few days ago. The guy who makes the videos for that channel is a bike racer and engineer.

For the video, he calculated the complexity of design requirements and the costs involved in producing a hooked rim versus hookless and the benefits of each design. (Apparently, the main benefit for hookless is the substantial reduction in the cost of the molds.)

https://youtu.be/bAgxTdNIOhA?si=xlPmzj1Sphv_tsmY
Fascinating. And, though he never mentions it, a really elegant argument for tubulars. Go to 18:00 on the video and look at his advantages for each, hooked and hookless. Tubulars have all of them. Any pressure that tire can handle. Rim simply isn't a factor. Road damage - as long as the rim is still a hoop, tire stays on. Yes, it does require a good glue or tape job, but we are talking a technology worked out completely 125 years ago. There is no flange that needs to stay more or less intact. No flange - easier and cheaper to make. Lighter. Much simpler from the molding, layup and QC angle. Virtually any tire can be run on any rim.

And yes, I know, such an observation is completely unacceptable here.
Old 03-11-24, 11:24 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Fascinating. And, though he never mentions it, a really elegant argument for tubulars. Go to 18:00 on the video and look at his advantages for each, hooked and hookless. Tubulars have all of them. Any pressure that tire can handle. Rim simply isn't a factor. Road damage - as long as the rim is still a hoop, tire stays on. Yes, it does require a good glue or tape job, but we are talking a technology worked out completely 125 years ago. There is no flange that needs to stay more or less intact. No flange - easier and cheaper to make. Lighter. Much simpler from the molding, layup and QC angle. Virtually any tire can be run on any rim.

Not so much unacceptable as bemusing.

Might become a moot point soon, now that so few of the European pro teams are still using tubulars. Two? One?

I wonder how long it will be before manufacturers scale back on production. Just like manual transmissions in cars, tubulars won't disappear entirely, of course, since there's going to be a cosplay market for at least another decade or so. (Not referring to you, obviously. But most of the comparatively few riders on tubulars use them on vintage bikes that they ride only occasionally, it appears, doing most of their miles on more modern bikes.)
Old 03-11-24, 11:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

I think he also mentions that hookless issues would be solved by simply building the tires with steel beads. Oh, and bringing a hydraulic tire press with you on your ride for when you flat.
Old 03-11-24, 12:01 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
They work fine if you follow the manufacturer's instructions on rim width and tire pressure. 25mm tires mostly require hookless rims with 21mm IW or less. Most 28mm work with 25mm IW, per manufacturer instructions, but ETRTO says no. I've had no problems with 28 tires on 25mm IW hookless rims. Eventually I'll just use 30mm. My rear tires are all 30.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaig...-compatibility
I just have a hard time believing that any cyclist that’s going to go out and spend 1000+ on a set of wheels or get stock hookless on a new bike isn’t going to do exactly this, especially if they buy from an LBS. And if their LBS doesn’t point them in the right direction, that’s just shameful.
Old 03-11-24, 12:13 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts

The tubular advantage: yes, it is obvious from the perspective of weight, impact and pinch flat resistance, manufacturing ease and cost, blowout safety etc., tubulars are superior in every respect. The advantage is in the rims, not the tires. You eliminate the hooks that are the cause of most of the problems with clinchers.

Yes, there are rolling resistance tests that show that some tubeless tires and clinchers (with latex tubes) roll a trivial amount of watts faster than tubular tires with butyl tubes (an unfair comparison), but there are tubeless tubulars that should bring both tire technologies in line. But again, rolling resistance is tiny in the grand scheme of things, unless we're comparing slow farm tractor tires (32mm pumped to 60psi) vs. much faster narrow tires pumped to an appropriate 110 psi.

Nevertheless, I can accept that tubulars are an almost non-existent market for the following reasons:
  • One: your weekend warrior does not need the performance and safety advantages offered by tubulars, and should opt for the lower fuss of clinchers.
  • Two: the pros (in every discipline) absolutely should be riding tubulars in every race on every stage, but the pro circuit exists to sell stuff, whether lotteries, jeans or bike stuff. Since you cannot sell tubulars to weekend warriors, the pros are forced to ride on an inferior tech (hookless) for marketing purposes. And when their tire blows off, personally accept all blame for the resulting carnage.
Old 03-11-24, 12:55 PM
PeteHski

I see that the tubular loonies have arrived.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-11-24, 07:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I see that the tubular loonies have arrived.
Wasn't that the theme from "The Exorcist"?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-24, 08:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Nevertheless, I can accept that tubulars are an almost non-existent market for the following reasons:
  • One: your weekend warrior does not need the performance and safety advantages offered by tubulars, and should opt for the lower fuss of clinchers.
  • Two: the pros (in every discipline) absolutely should be riding tubulars in every race on every stage, but the pro circuit exists to sell stuff, whether lotteries, jeans or bike stuff. Since you cannot sell tubulars to weekend warriors, the pros are forced to ride on an inferior tech (hookless) for marketing purposes. And when their tire blows off, personally accept all blame for the resulting carnage.
I ride on most weekdays and weekends, and I’m not interested in tubulars. Is your mind blown?
Old 03-11-24, 08:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I ride on most weekdays and weekends, and I’m not interested in tubulars. Is your mind blown?
But do you have a Platinum Card for your ride to the coffee shop?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-24, 09:59 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I've never used tubulars, but what happens if you get a puncture? Dave is such a fan that roadside repairs must be a breeze.

I watched a video tutorial about glueing a tubular tire once and the whole process took a fairly long time and seemed quite esoteric. There may have been a sacrificial goat and cymbals involved at some point...The video was made by Zipp if I recall correctly.

But if the goat lives or you only have access to a pet bunny, is it possible for the tire to roll off the rim when cornering?
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-11-24, 10:05 PM
tomato coupe

The tubular advantage: yes, it is obvious from the perspective of weight, impact and pinch flat resistance, manufacturing ease and cost, blowout safety etc., tubulars are superior in every respect.
You're truly delusional if you think tubular tires are easier to manufacture and cost less than clinchers.
Old 03-11-24, 10:31 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Right on schedule, the industry sycophants, apologists and influencers come out. None of whom have ever used tubulars.

Once again, tubeless and hookless is an attempted kludge a of a solution to the insurmountable advantages of tubulars. Against the frustrating paradox that weekend warriors, the sales target demographic of the bike industry, are not going to buy tubulars due to the preparation fuss, and the chance of getting glue on ones hands. And the riders who really need and want tubulars: high performance riders, get their gear for free. So the industry has zero motivation to flog tubulars.

Tubular rims are considerably easier and less costly to build than clinchers, hookless or otherwise. One continuous piece of carbon fabric folded over on itself: no hooks. So tubular rims can be built lighter and stronger than clinchers. And the tubular rim profile sheds braking heat better than a clincher rim, so carbon tubular rim brake wheels are more viable than clinchers.

This represents another huge performance advantage: carbon clinchers are a no-go due to the chance of overheating the brake track. But this is not as much of a problem with tubulars, so that a rim brake system could be used, avoiding the performance penalty of discs on road bikes (weight).

Again: THE ADVANTAGE OF THE TUBULAR SYSTEM IS THE RIM.
Old 03-11-24, 11:25 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I suppose a great rim design is great and all, but what happens if I flat using tubulars?

And also, are bunnies sufficient? They're much easier to get than goats.
Old 03-11-24, 11:31 PM
tomato coupe

Right on schedule, the industry sycophants, apologists and influencers come out.
Yeah, that's how it works. You post your usual silliness, and people respond ... right on schedule. And then they all collect their fat checks from Big Clincher.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 03-11-24 at 11:44 PM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-12-24, 01:43 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I've never used tubulars, but what happens if you get a puncture? Dave is such a fan that roadside repairs must be a breeze.

I watched a video tutorial about glueing a tubular tire once and the whole process took a fairly long time and seemed quite esoteric. There may have been a sacrificial goat and cymbals involved at some point...The video was made by Zipp if I recall correctly.

But if the goat lives or you only have access to a pet bunny, is it possible for the tire to roll off the rim when cornering?
I only have one cycling compadre who still uses tubulars and he spends BY FAR the highest percentage time of all of us not riding his bike when he should be. Only some of this is down to punctures but all the other issues and lack of Campag chainring availability goes with the territory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.