Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 03:50 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

The way you challenge the work of an engineer is to test and analyze the problem and produce a study. As opposed to dash off few snippets of inconsequential froth, which seems to be your total contribution to this thread and pretty much everywhere else in this forum.
That is rich coming from someone who totally ignores and dismisses any technical analysis of the cycling myths and conspiracy bs you continually spout. I would be offended if this came from someone with any credibility. But not so much from the forum village eejit.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-17-24 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 06:59 PM
VeloNewbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Tha hell has this thread become?!? LMAO
Old 03-17-24, 07:42 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That is rich coming from someone who totally ignores and dismisses any technical analysis of the cycling myths and conspiracy bs you continually spout. I would be offended if this came from someone with any credibility. But not so much from the forum village eejit.
Once again, a post with zero information or analysis. Nothing of substance.

When the UCI posts the results of its current review of hookless, then feel free to provide it here so as to provide some useful content.
Old 03-17-24, 07:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts

When the UCI posts the results of its current review of hookless, then feel free to provide it here so as to provide some useful content.
Note absence of information and analysis in post whining about "zero information or analysis"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-17-24, 07:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by VeloNewbie
Tha hell has this thread become?!? LMAO

Old 03-17-24, 08:13 PM
PeteHski

Look, I said what I thought about hookless road wheels on page 1 of this thread. I don’t use them or have any intention of buying any. I just pointed out that Hambini is not IMO a source of credible information and analysis that you should be hanging your hat on.

I’m sure that when the UCI do post their conclusions, you will be the first to discredit them if they don’t fit your own armchair narrative.
Old 03-18-24, 02:24 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Watch the comments in the video about installing car tires compared to bike tires and the reasoning that explains why car tires are perfectly safe, but hookless bike tires aren't.
https://youtu.be/WkqSgTu2SR8

Then watch this.
https://youtu.be/b8IiRrgdEZg?si=wgk9qt2mj1nLrBpG
I get your point. However that video showed us a small tire on a small rim and it still took the full weight of a grown man hopping on the tire to mount it. Hydraulic tire changer makes the job a lot easier, faster and safer for the tire and rim.

The point in the first video was, that if a hookless tire can be mounted tool free, ie. just by pushing with your fingers, it is not tight enough for it to really be safe.

Mounting tires is and should be much easier than taking them off. That is sorta the point why car rims are made the way they are, so that both beads cannot sit in the bead well at the same time. It is possible to take a car tire off a rim without power tools but you just need really long steel levers to do it.

There's one further major difference in car rims I failed to point out in my last reply on the subject. Car rims have a bead shelf (as tubeless has) that isn't level but is in fact an upwards slope (when looking at the cross section of the rim). When the tire is pressurized, the bead will move up that slope stretching itself tighter and tighter against the increasing circumference of the rim until it can't move up anymore. You'll end up with a really tight stretched seal against the rim. That slope is really useful, because it equates out manufacturing tolerances of tires. Some beads might rest a few mm. closer to the outside of the rim and some might rest bit closer to the inside, but they're all stretched against the rim with enough force to keep them in place.

The end result is that the tire should not come off unless the bead snaps (given how beefy the beads are, unlikely) or there's a rapid deflation and high enough sideways force to the tire (eg. cornering with too little pressure). Technically, you shouldn't need the flange on a tubeless car rim. However it's there and it is quite tall because it's a vital safety feature. If a tire does move, the flange stops it from moving too much or jumping off the rim.

Bicycle hookless rims have a bead shelf that's level. Granted, hooked TLR rims also have a bead shelf that's level but they also have a hook. Without a sloped bead shelf the tolerances need to be exact. If the bead circumference is too large and it doesn't seal against the bead shelf it'll have no choice but to seal against the flange, which is not what you want happening. You want that bead stretched tightly against the bead shelf. One problem that comes from the dimensions of bicycle rims is that they're so narrow that you don't really have enough space to create a slope that's gradual enough so that the tire won't just flop off as soon as pressure is released. Or rather road rims have this problem. With wide MTB rims or even fatbike rims you could achieve a proper slope easily.

I have come across one tire rim combo where I am absolutely positive it would have worked totally fine hookless with no safety issues whatsoever. The rim diameter was oversize and the tire undersize. In the end I needed a bench vise to pry the beads off the rim.

I realize that what I wrote above isn't exactly an endorsement for hooked TLR either. However hooked TLR has proven itself to be reliable and safe. The hook does a lot heavy lifting should the tire burp or move for some reason and it'll work as an additional sealing surface if it has to.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-18-24, 02:30 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Wow. If even some of this is true, he’s more of a French shower than I thought.
I think he claimed that page was put up by Absolute Black when he was slating their laughably expensive rear mech cage product. Quite possibly some truth in though.
Old 03-18-24, 04:53 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by choddo
I think he claimed that page was put up by Absolute Black when he was slating their laughably expensive rear mech cage product. Quite possibly some truth in though.
Far more likely to be someone who knows him IRL who he annoyed (easy to imagine based on his YouTube persona). A company would just sue him.

But I would actually agree with him about the ridiculous cost/benefit ratio of oversized rear mech cages 😂
Old 03-18-24, 07:29 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I get your point. However that video showed us a small tire on a small rim and it still took the full weight of a grown man hopping on the tire to mount it. Hydraulic tire changer makes the job a lot easier, faster and safer for the tire and rim.

The point in the first video was, that if a hookless tire can be mounted tool free, ie. just by pushing with your fingers, it is not tight enough for it to really be safe.

Mounting tires is and should be much easier than taking them off. That is sorta the point why car rims are made the way they are, so that both beads cannot sit in the bead well at the same time. It is possible to take a car tire off a rim without power tools but you just need really long steel levers to do it.

There's one further major difference in car rims I failed to point out in my last reply on the subject. Car rims have a bead shelf (as tubeless has) that isn't level but is in fact an upwards slope (when looking at the cross section of the rim). When the tire is pressurized, the bead will move up that slope stretching itself tighter and tighter against the increasing circumference of the rim until it can't move up anymore. You'll end up with a really tight stretched seal against the rim. That slope is really useful, because it equates out manufacturing tolerances of tires. Some beads might rest a few mm. closer to the outside of the rim and some might rest bit closer to the inside, but they're all stretched against the rim with enough force to keep them in place.

The end result is that the tire should not come off unless the bead snaps (given how beefy the beads are, unlikely) or there's a rapid deflation and high enough sideways force to the tire (eg. cornering with too little pressure). Technically, you shouldn't need the flange on a tubeless car rim. However it's there and it is quite tall because it's a vital safety feature. If a tire does move, the flange stops it from moving too much or jumping off the rim.

Bicycle hookless rims have a bead shelf that's level. Granted, hooked TLR rims also have a bead shelf that's level but they also have a hook. Without a sloped bead shelf the tolerances need to be exact. If the bead circumference is too large and it doesn't seal against the bead shelf it'll have no choice but to seal against the flange, which is not what you want happening. You want that bead stretched tightly against the bead shelf. One problem that comes from the dimensions of bicycle rims is that they're so narrow that you don't really have enough space to create a slope that's gradual enough so that the tire won't just flop off as soon as pressure is released. Or rather road rims have this problem. With wide MTB rims or even fatbike rims you could achieve a proper slope easily.

I have come across one tire rim combo where I am absolutely positive it would have worked totally fine hookless with no safety issues whatsoever. The rim diameter was oversize and the tire undersize. In the end I needed a bench vise to pry the beads off the rim.

I realize that what I wrote above isn't exactly an endorsement for hooked TLR either. However hooked TLR has proven itself to be reliable and safe. The hook does a lot heavy lifting should the tire burp or move for some reason and it'll work as an additional sealing surface if it has to.
The point of the first video was that even using plastic tools to install bike tires means that the tires don't fit tight enough. That engineer has apparently never used a bead jack. He also overlooks tires from Giant that have beads that aren't steel, but pass pressure tests up to 150% of the maximum recommended value.

For those who haven't got an engineering degree, you need to know that most of what you learn is mathematics, most of which you'll never use, along with some useful formulas like the ones that Hambini presented. New developments may make use of these formulas, but it doesn't eliminate their misuse, or the need to test the products made from their application. The engineer in the video is too young to have much real world experience and has probably never tested a new product design in his life. If steel bead reinforcement is the answer, I'd think that it would already have been tried and tested, but who knows? Maybe some accountant decided that a safe but slightly heavier tire would never sell, so testing was never done.

Not all engineers are professional engineers who have passed a series of exams that prove to someone that they understand theory. It doesn't mean you have any experience. I worked on the development of critical nuclear weapons products, but having a PE wasn't a requirement. Experience and ingenuity were the keys.

I've logged over 15,000 miles on hookless rims and tires with zero problems. I've tested my tire and wheel setups to 85 psi, compared to my normal 55 psi needs. I've used early model Michelin tubeless tires that were not approved for hookless. My last one had so much bead stretch after 9 months that the beads would come off the ledge as soon as the air was let out and I couldn't get air back in fast enough with the valve core in place. I took that tire out of service.
​​​​​

​​​​
​​​​
Old 03-18-24, 07:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
The point of the first video was that even using plastic tools to install bike tires means that the tires don't fit tight enough.
The first video you linked was 90min long and you didnt cite the time within the video that should be watch or which comments should be read. So given that, maybe my question below is redundant and already addressed, but I dont realize that because I wasnt willing to spend 90min watching the video while simultaneously combing thur comments. If it is redundant, my apologies.

- you said that the point of the first video was to show that even using plastic tire levers to install bike tires means the tires dont fit tight enough?...so what are we supposed to use to mount tires on bike wheels if using a plastic tire lever means the tires arent tight enough?
Old 03-18-24, 08:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Go to 32:00 on the video. This was mentioned before my response. The engineer first says that car tires and the like require huge forces from machinery to mount. Then he says that any tire that can be installed with plastic tools will never stay on the rim adequately. How ridiculous. He's not using any of his alleged education. I have to give credit to Giant for developing strong tire beads and testing at 150% of maximum. Enve has gone up to 140 psi to blow off some tires. If ISO really suggests testing at 110%, someone there is really stupid.

What most seem to worry about is riding with no pressure. In that case a tubular is best, but I never have and never will use one. I've ridden hundreds of high speed mountain descents since moving to Colorado in 2003, but it doesn't make me want tubulars. My most frequent winter route takes me up to 50 mph on every ride.

​​​​​​
Old 03-18-24, 10:08 AM
choddo

Not all engineers are professional engineers who have passed a series of exams that prove to someone that they understand theory.
​​​​
They are in Germany
Old 03-18-24, 10:22 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by choddo
They are in Germany
A lot my engineering career was spent working on processes to make critical components for the W82 nuclear weapon. No PE required. No PE required for designing construction projects within the 3 million square foot facility either.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-18-24 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-18-24, 10:29 AM
choddo

A lof my engineering career was spent working on processes to make critical components for the W82 nuclear weapon. No PE required. No PE required for designing construction projects within the 3 million square foot facility either.
Sure. I’m just saying anyone in Germany calling themselves an engineer has to be professionally qualified. Not true in the UK either. Even people who install residential satellite TV get called engineers here.
Old 03-19-24, 03:02 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
The point of the first video was that even using plastic tools to install bike tires means that the tires don't fit tight enough. That engineer has apparently never used a bead jack. He also overlooks tires from Giant that have beads that aren't steel, but pass pressure tests up to 150% of the maximum recommended value.

For those who haven't got an engineering degree, you need to know that most of what you learn is mathematics, most of which you'll never use, along with some useful formulas like the ones that Hambini presented. New developments may make use of these formulas, but it doesn't eliminate their misuse, or the need to test the products made from their application. The engineer in the video is too young to have much real world experience and has probably never tested a new product design in his life. If steel bead reinforcement is the answer, I'd think that it would already have been tried and tested, but who knows? Maybe some accountant decided that a safe but slightly heavier tire would never sell, so testing was never done.

Not all engineers are professional engineers who have passed a series of exams that prove to someone that they understand theory. It doesn't mean you have any experience. I worked on the development of critical nuclear weapons products, but having a PE wasn't a requirement. Experience and ingenuity were the keys.

I've logged over 15,000 miles on hookless rims and tires with zero problems. I've tested my tire and wheel setups to 85 psi, compared to my normal 55 psi needs. I've used early model Michelin tubeless tires that were not approved for hookless. My last one had so much bead stretch after 9 months that the beads would come off the ledge as soon as the air was let out and I couldn't get air back in fast enough with the valve core in place. I took that tire out of service.
​​​​​

​​​​
Are your arguments really
1) The engineer in question is too young and thus can't know what he's talking about (Ad Hominem)
2) Surely "they" have engineered this stuff to be safe and decided steel beads isn't necessary (appeal to authority I think, but could be wrong)
3) You've had plenty of trouble free miles (survivor bias)
?

If you look at the actual Peak Torque video, which has been linked here earlier, you'll notice said young engineer has thought about this stuff quite a bit. Enough to draw two rim molds just to elaborate why companies want to switch to hookless.
Old 03-19-24, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

For me the fact that max allowable pressures on hooked tubeless are significantly higher inspires more confidence.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-19-24, 07:17 AM
DaveSSS 

1) The engineer in question is too young and thus can't know what he's talking about (Ad Hominem)
2) Surely "they" have engineered this stuff to be safe and decided steel beads isn't necessary (appeal to authority I think, but could be wrong)
?

If you look at the actual Peak Torque video, which has been linked here earlier, you'll notice said young engineer has thought about this stuff quite a bit. Enough to draw two rim molds just to elaborate why companies want to switch to hookless.
My main argument is the stupidity of comparing heavy car and truck tires with exceptionally strong beads and sidewalls to bike tires. They have nothing in common other than hookless rims. He also claims that these tires require huge forces from special mounting equipment to install (not true). Then he concludes that bike tires are too easy to install so they can't be safe.

Testing is the answer. Tire manufacturers should be able to test tire and wheel combinations at pressures that are far above what the heaviest riders need and test at common rotational speeds, with an appropriate weight bearing on the wheel. I've tested my tire/wheel combinations at 150% of the maximum pressure that I actually use (55 psi), but only while stationary, and not weight bearing. To be thorough, tires really need to inflated for a year or two to evaluate bead stretch over time. The Pirelli P-Zero TLR tubeless tires that I use that stretch very little, so yes they have been proven to hold up over time. I used up 6 Michelin tubeless that weren't hookless approved and the reason was obvious - they suffered from bead stretch. I tossed the last one when the bead unseated when the air was let out and couldn't be reseated with valve core in place. If you let the air out of a tire to replenish the sealant and it immediately unseats, I wouldn't keep using the tire.
​​​​
I take fairly high risks riding down steep mountain roads at high speeds. I have to be extremely vigilant to avoid road damage and rocks that fall from canyon walls. It's not everyone's cup of tea. I've been doing it since 2003 and never had a tire problem.

Hooked carbon tubeless wheels are readily available and buyers uncertain about hookless should buy those and quit whining about hookless. You're not being forced to use them.
Old 03-19-24, 08:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Hooked carbon tubeless wheels are readily available and buyers uncertain about hookless should buy those and quit whining about hookless. You're not being forced to use them.
This.

I've been riding these for about 1.5 years. An honest 1410 grams including the rim tape, and they hold onto tires like grim death.
Old 03-19-24, 08:18 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts

​​​​​​Don't forget that anyone who buys a complete bike is forced to buy whatever wheelset the manufacturer specs.
Old 03-19-24, 08:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

?

If said young engineer hasn't done any actual testing of the actual products, isn't he just engaging in mathematical handwaving?

Old 03-19-24, 09:25 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
If you buy a new bike that comes equipped with it, yes, in a certain way. I know, you can always change them.

I rode hookless rims for 5 years and my experience has been nothing but positive. Current bike came with hooked wheels. My 28mm tires inflate at 29mm instead of 30mm because of the hook, but I couldn't care less.
Old 03-19-24, 10:00 AM
PeteHski

I watched the video and these sort of exaggerated comparisons are always a bit lame, but I don't disagree with his general viewpoint. I thought the conspiracy theory was a bit overboard too, but maybe just a bit of dark humour. Highly speculative at best. I've worked closely with tyre manufacturers at the cutting edge of F1 development and even in that field their engineers are incredibly conservative. It was always a battle between the teams and tyre engineers in agreeing what was a safe minimum hot running pressure! Ultimately, major wheel and tyre manufacturers don't want to be facing injury lawyers.
Old 03-19-24, 10:53 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Yan
​​​​​​Don't forget that anyone who buys a complete bike is forced to buy whatever wheelset the manufacturer specs.
Not necessarily. Buyers can always make a deal to change out wheels, unless you're ordering online. You can also sell those wheels as new.

​​​​​I haven't bought a pre-built bike in the last 30 years.
Old 03-19-24, 11:38 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
The "readily available" argument is tenuous when you look at recent bike tech trends. See rim brakes, mechanical shifting, etc. How much longer before hooked carbon rims become a rarity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.