Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle Height Formulas / Rules of thumb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 12:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

A quick google return yields these 3 approaches for determining saddle height (snapshot below). Yes, I realize that these are starting points etc, but it's worth pointing out that, I actually get about the same yielded Saddletop to BB result with any of these formulas for my given inseam (84.5 cm)
Lemond: 74.6cm
Hamley: 92.1cm Saddle to Pedal spindle Minus 175mm crankarm = 74.6cm
Minus10: 74.5cm

All well and good -- seemingly pick your favorite method as they seem consistent to one another. However, my current saddle is sitting about 5 cms higher than these results at a bit over 79cm, and has been this way for a while. roughly a 2" difference seems like a lot. Anyone else this far off from what the formulas say? Wondering if having large feet (49eu) might be part of reason. None of the formulas speak to clipless cleat stack height, but I would assume they build in some type of average amount (seeing as cycling inseam is usually measured barefoot, right?

Old 03-24-24, 12:54 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
What happens if you lower your saddle by 5 cm? How did you arrive at your current saddle height?
Old 03-24-24, 01:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
What happens if you lower your saddle by 5 cm? How did you arrive at your current saddle height?
I don't know honestly. It would make my saddle top though about even height-wise with my bars. Saddle has been at this height for probably 10yrs+. No knee or leg pains, but just thought it curious that I have saddle set at such a different height than the calculators suggest. I was perhaps hoping to hear that this isn't at all uncommon.

Will be trying a MyVeloFit soon. It'll be interesting to see what it comes back with.
Old 03-24-24, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I always just played with my saddle height till it felt right. It was only about six years ago after coming to BF and seeing that too many seem to rely on formulas to tell them what to do that I measured my saddle height.

I was pleasantly surprised that when measured from the pedal to the top of my saddle it was 109% of my inseam.

Measuring to the pedal makes more sense to me, but only a tad. Then you only have to transfer that measurement to any other road bike and not have to worry if it has 165mm cranks or 175mm cranks.
Old 03-24-24, 01:49 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Are you sure you measured your cycling inseam correctly? It isn't the one on your pants.
Old 03-24-24, 02:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Kontact
Are you sure you measured your cycling inseam correctly? It isn't the one on your pants.
Yup. FWIW, overall height is 188cm
Old 03-24-24, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
One of the reasons for your difference might be that you are a toe dipper. I tend to keep my feet at almost the same angle to the ground all through the stroke.

But a toe dipper with a large/long foot might have their saddle higher. Particularly if the cleats are more forward on the shoe than other of us keep them.
Old 03-24-24, 02:31 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Yeah pedaling style, cleat fore/aft, shoe choice, pedal/cleat choice, chamois thickness, mobility, seat setback, drop and reach, femur to tibia length ratio all contribute to saddle height.

I have mine way lower than the lemond method or other rules of thumb would indicate for my fairly long (96,5cm) inseam. But I do have a long tibia, i have my cleats as far back as they'll go, I am a heel dropper and while I don't have a lot of drop, due to my long legs I have enough reach to match pro tour riders of the same torso length.

​​​
Old 03-24-24, 02:58 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't know honestly. It would make my saddle top though about even height-wise with my bars. Saddle has been at this height for probably 10yrs+. No knee or leg pains, but just thought it curious that I have saddle set at such a different height than the calculators suggest. I was perhaps hoping to hear that this isn't at all uncommon.

Will be trying a MyVeloFit soon. It'll be interesting to see what it comes back with.
I have my saddle set slightly lower than the Lemond method would suggest, but not much. I think I’m within 10 mm IIRC. But I also adjust my saddle slightly up or down during the season depending on how I feel. For example a few weeks ago I decided to move it up about 5 mm because I was feeling a bit of strain on the front of my knees. It felt better so I’ve left it there. But I might well go back down at some point as I’ve done in the past many times. So I have a range of saddle height that I operate within, rather than a fixed in stone setting. I would say that range is at least +/- 10 mm.

I have used MyVeloFit too and that also gives you a range of acceptable saddle heights and I found that I was bang in the middle of their suggested range. The only odd thing about MyVeloFit for me was that it recommended an extreme amount of saddle setback. However far back I went it wanted me to go even further. This was using my Kickr Bike, so I had almost unlimited adjustment. But even with it maxed out it still wanted more! In the end I just ignored their setback advice. But the rest was good.
Old 03-24-24, 03:08 PM
Kontact 

Yup. FWIW, overall height is 188cm
So you have relatively short legs?
Old 03-24-24, 03:22 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
II was perhaps hoping to hear that this isn't at all uncommon.
Ask and ye shall receive. Guys riding with their saddle too high is very common.
Old 03-24-24, 03:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So you have relatively short legs?
I never thought so.. eg. wear 34" Levi jeans, but typically 32" dress pants to fall just at the top of the foot. Interwebz provide a 2.2:1 as average ratio of height to inseam. 188cm height/2.2 = 85.5cm, so maybe off from average by ~1cm shorter
Old 03-24-24, 04:17 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Too many variables. Plus we can’t even decide if saddle height should be based on “proper” knee angles at the top, middle, or bottom of pedal stroke.

All the rules are fine to start, but tweak a bit for your comfort and riding style.

I personally think the “heels on pedal at bottom of stroke to lock knee” is easier and gets you a similar result to the calculations.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-24-24, 04:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Ask and ye shall receive. Guys riding with their saddle too high is very common.
A while back, I saw somebody with his saddle set so high that, from a distance I assumed he was riding out of the saddle, but as I got closer, I saw that, no, he was seated. It was just that his hips were rocking like crazy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-24-24, 04:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Oh, yeah - one of my bikes has the saddle a bit lower than the others, about 1cm lower than the highest (I really need to pay closer attention!). I rode it last week for the first time since November, and I noticed a couple times that my cadence was in the 95-100 range, whereas on my other bikes it seems more like the 90-95 range. I think maybe I'll try lowering the saddle on the highest one and see if I notice a difference.

One thing that complicates the analysis, though, is that they have different pedal systems (low saddle has Look Delta vs high saddle has Look Keos) and I can't guarantee the cleats are set up the same, which would also affect this.

Old 03-24-24, 05:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I've figured that since I use Speedplays, if anything the cleat stack height is less than a non-factor.
Old 03-24-24, 05:09 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Crank arm length and shoe stack height both must be considered. Measuring the exact area of the saddle also varies.
Old 03-24-24, 05:19 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Formulas are useless because people drop their heel to varying degrees. I set my saddle height based on hip stability.
Likes For Yan:
Old 03-24-24, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

Yeah, lots of variables. Size of feet, cleat position, pedal/cleat stack height, riding style, flexibility etc. I go off what feels comfortable and doesn’t cause any issues.
Old 03-24-24, 06:15 PM
Kontact 

I never thought so.. eg. wear 34" Levi jeans, but typically 32" dress pants to fall just at the top of the foot. Interwebz provide a 2.2:1 as average ratio of height to inseam. 188cm height/2.2 = 85.5cm, so maybe off from average by ~1cm shorter
Well, the old formulas for bike size puts your height as a 60cm frame, but your legs as a 56.

So I'm still a little curious if you got the book up tight enough to your groin when you measured your cycling inseam.
Old 03-24-24, 06:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Well, the old formulas for bike size puts your height as a 60cm frame, but your legs as a 56.

So I'm still a little curious if you got the book up tight enough to your groin when you measured your cycling inseam.
Yes, I think so. Maybe I can get another 1/2" if I really wedge it up there.
Not sure what old formulas you're referring to though. Just a quick browse, Canyon, Cannondale, Specialized, and Giant, all put me on a 58. Technically, Giant puts me on a large (as being for 6' to 6'4" riders). Trek however is saying a 60 would be more appropriate.
Old 03-24-24, 07:48 PM
Kontact 

Yes, I think so. Maybe I can get another 1/2" if I really wedge it up there.
Not sure what old formulas you're referring to though. Just a quick browse, Canyon, Cannondale, Specialized, and Giant, all put me on a 58. Technically, Giant puts me on a large (as being for 6' to 6'4" riders). Trek however is saying a 60 would be more appropriate.
One is that frame size = 2/3 cycling inseam.
And then the usual height to bike size is something like 5'4" = 50, 5'"6 = 52, etc.
Old 03-24-24, 08:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Yan
Formulas are useless because people drop their heel to varying degrees. I set my saddle height based on hip stability.
Formulas get you in the neighborhood, but that's about it. If I use the same saddle height for my old bikes with 170s as I use for my modern bikes with 175s, I feel like I'm pedaling flatfooted.

Old 03-25-24, 02:04 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have my saddle set slightly lower than the Lemond method would suggest, but not much. I think I’m within 10 mm IIRC. But I also adjust my saddle slightly up or down during the season depending on how I feel. For example a few weeks ago I decided to move it up about 5 mm because I was feeling a bit of strain on the front of my knees. It felt better so I’ve left it there. But I might well go back down at some point as I’ve done in the past many times. So I have a range of saddle height that I operate within, rather than a fixed in stone setting. I would say that range is at least +/- 10 mm.

I have used MyVeloFit too and that also gives you a range of acceptable saddle heights and I found that I was bang in the middle of their suggested range. The only odd thing about MyVeloFit for me was that it recommended an extreme amount of saddle setback. However far back I went it wanted me to go even further. This was using my Kickr Bike, so I had almost unlimited adjustment. But even with it maxed out it still wanted more! In the end I just ignored their setback advice. But the rest was good.
A few years back (or more than a few) there was a rider in the pro peloton who used an FSA prototype seatpost that had 10mm of adjustment in 1mm increments you could adjust on the go. I believe the seatpost was used to transition from climbing position to descend position. Basically a more accurate slightly slower dropper post.

I inquired from FSA whether they were bringing said seatpost out as a product and sadly they had no such plans. I would have loved that seatpost. I find my seat height might fluctuate from day to day or even during a long ride so a few mm of adjustability would be very welcome indeed.

A whole different issue is bikes with dual sided pedals. I use them on my day to day / touring bike. The difference in seat height depends on the shoes being used especially on flat pedal side. The height difference between my clipless shoe and my regular winter shoe is in the region of 20mm or so. Having adjustability to 20mm would be godsend.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-25-24, 05:00 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by elcruxio
A few years back (or more than a few) there was a rider in the pro peloton who used an FSA prototype seatpost that had 10mm of adjustment in 1mm increments you could adjust on the go. I believe the seatpost was used to transition from climbing position to descend position. Basically a more accurate slightly slower dropper post.

I inquired from FSA whether they were bringing said seatpost out as a product and sadly they had no such plans. I would have loved that seatpost. I find my seat height might fluctuate from day to day or even during a long ride so a few mm of adjustability would be very welcome indeed.

A whole different issue is bikes with dual sided pedals. I use them on my day to day / touring bike. The difference in seat height depends on the shoes being used especially on flat pedal side. The height difference between my clipless shoe and my regular winter shoe is in the region of 20mm or so. Having adjustability to 20mm would be godsend.
That does sound very useful. I would actually be tempted by a lightweight Road dropper post for endurance riding, especially in the mountains. Even different bib shorts can affect saddle height by a few mm. Also fatigue has an effect. I read that it’s quite common for pro riders to lower their saddle toward the end of a Grand Tour when their legs are suffering. Sometimes it’s just nice to move the position slightly anyway. I do that quite often on my indoor bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.