Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss vs. Training Intensity

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Weight Loss vs. Training Intensity

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 09:33 PM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waterrockets
There is a zone where you will burn calories without killing your muscle glycogen. Your body can then use more fat for fuel, and you don't have to eat as much. I lost 12 lbs in 5.5 weeks this way. 90 minutes of training each day, and I was carrying a 1200-1500 kcal/day deficit. I can't do that when I'm training hard -- too hungry, and can't perform day after day on a diet.
Thank you! I've been saying this for years. You cant have your cake and eat it too. No pun intended.

Lose weight first, then work on the fast.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 12-14-08, 11:47 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more I ride, the faster I lose weight. Volume seems to work better for me than higher intensity. If I ride too hard, I seem to use up my glycogen stores instead of burning fat. LSD (Long steady distance) seems to work best for me (4-6 hours in the saddle at a time, at least twice a week... even better if I can do that 3 times a week which I can do when I'm not doing the higher intensity or racing).

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
Fully custom carbon bikes
940-442-3344
Old 12-14-08, 11:55 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I don't think I'll be able to lose any more weight till the spring. I might be able to control my diet really well over break and lose a few pounds.

I'm a lot stronger right now than I was in the spring, even in season and I actually have a sprint now. I was 140-144 in the spring, and I was better at climbing then.

I'm not sure if the additional 5 lbs I'm carrying now is muscle that's making me stronger. I'm a little worried that losing weight is going to hurt my performance. I'll probably see what happens over winter and stop trying to lose weight if I see it starting to hurt me.
Old 12-14-08, 11:58 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The paleo diet is recommended by Friel so you might look into that. Lots of stuff about eating based on glycemic index. Might help you shed some weight. I tried, but I am already skinny and I lost enough weight where I was constantly catching colds, so i went back to my eat a lot diet.
Old 12-15-08, 12:40 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't eat anything with ingredients you don't recognize, don't eat too much, don't eat late at night. You'll get hungry for the first week or so, but soon it'll just kind of fade into the dull day to day pang of weight loss, and before you know it you'll be in racing trim.

The first week is always the roughest for me, but I'm back under 86-87kg for the first time in a long time, and leaner than ever. The caloric restriction is easy, it's making sure that I'm only eating veggies, whole grains, fruits and a bit of lean meat that takes focus. I just remind myself that lighter = faster, more aero, and lets face it, chics dig ab veins.
Old 12-15-08, 12:46 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
Don't eat anything with ingredients you don't recognize, don't eat too much, don't eat late at night. You'll get hungry for the first week or so, but soon it'll just kind of fade into the dull day to day pang of weight loss, and before you know it you'll be in racing trim.

The first week is always the roughest for me, but I'm back under 86-87kg for the first time in a long time, and leaner than ever. The caloric restriction is easy, it's making sure that I'm only eating veggies, whole grains, fruits and a bit of lean meat that takes focus. I just remind myself that lighter = faster, more aero, and lets face it, chics dig ab veins.
You also don't have home made indian food tempting you after a semester of college slop.
Old 12-15-08, 12:52 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
You also don't have home made indian food tempting you after a semester of college slop.
This is true. There are a couple de-freakin'-licious Indian places in Chapel Hill, de-freakin-liciousness aside though I can't imagine that a lot of the puri and paneer is good for weight loss Were I presented with that day to day it'd be harder.
Old 12-15-08, 01:10 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
This is true. There are a couple de-freakin'-licious Indian places in Chapel Hill, de-freakin-liciousness aside though I can't imagine that a lot of the puri and paneer is good for weight loss Were I presented with that day to day it'd be harder.
It's healthier if it's home cooked. Nowhere near as much grease and stuff.

Rice, veggies, and pulses aren't all that fatty. We don't cook the other stuff as often. Though my Dad makes AWESOME chicken and lamb, and that has a bunch of butter and oil in it.

I'm sure I can lose 5lbs over the 4 weeks of break. And if I don't, then I'll consider this to be my new weight till next years base building. I've only gained about 6-10 lbs and I'm much stronger now in every way. If losing weight means getting weaker, then I'd rather not.

I can see my abs and all at this weight too
Old 12-15-08, 07:14 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
. The Training and Nutrition threads are chock-full of crappy information.
FYP
Seriously...there's a few good posters over there, but there's so much other noise in there that is misleading or often flat out wrong. You'll get just as good or better info in here.

Originally Posted by MrCrassic
you should consume low-calorie, but high energy
does not compute
Old 12-15-08, 09:22 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ottsville
does not compute
Think he must mean nutrients not energy.
Old 12-15-08, 12:23 PM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, after reading the earlier posts of this thread, I am rethinking what weight I'd like to get down to. I am currently 5'6" and have been consistently at 136 pounds. I was hoping to get down to 130 but I thinking now that might be too much weight loss.
Old 12-19-08, 02:43 AM
captnfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If i were to eat:

a small pre ride meal
gels/ energy bars on rides
eat in the three/four hours post-ride

starve myself the rest of the time (I don't mean literally, just a drastic reduction in caloric intake)

would i be able to increase performance AND lose weight?

I keep hearing you can't do both but I find that hard to believe. It seems with careful planning and execution it can be done. Everything has to do with timing.

post ride carbs will fill up most of your glycogen stores for next day, pre ride meal will top them off, on-ride snacks will keep you going, then the cycle begins again.

find the flaws.
Old 12-19-08, 06:05 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just eat as much as I can. More food means more fuel, so I can go faster for longer. However much I eat, I seem to burn it all.
Old 12-19-08, 07:50 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captnfantastic
would i be able to increase performance AND lose weight?

I keep hearing you can't do both but I find that hard to believe. It seems with careful planning and execution it can be done. Everything has to do with timing.
You're right to some extent. It depends on what "increase performance" means to you and what you are starting with. For a sedentary tub of goo, you could easily get faster, more endurance, and stronger while losing weight. However, the more fit you are the harder it's going to be. You should still be able to increase endurance while losing weight for the most part. Adding strength where muscle mass is an issue while losing weight is where things get tricky, which is why body builders do bulking and cutting phases.

I think that adding strength in general is hard to do while losing weight, but that's my experience. I do see some weight loss(minimal) when I up my intensity, but I'm also not quantifying exactly the gains I'm making.

Almost "everything does have to do with timing," provided you have the experience and background to understand metabolic needs all throughout the day, how your body reacts to macronutrient blends, how to optimiize not inhibit the body's growth hormone release, etc, etc