Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Breakaway Strategy Discussion Item #5

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 01:08 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Situation:

hilly road race, narrow chip seal surface (the kind that makes you feel like you're riding in mud), beautiful sunny day. no sustained climbs but endless supply of 1' climbs including one that of a grade that a 39x23/25 is useful, and an uphill short and steep sprint finish. my team representation is 7 racers including the defending district RR champ (whom we were committed to work for).

our protected rider (district rr champ) is a jens voigt type, who either wins with no one else in the photo, or gets lost in the field, so a breakaway was a necessity and our plan was to let things shape out/keep things together for several laps, then unleash hell in the last quarter of the race until "jens" was OTF, hopefully solo.

another team with what seemed like 40 riders had the opposite plan, they attacked during the neutral roll out, and kept going hard. this put my entire team on the defensive and resulted in a few getting called out. "jens" and some of the others we marked as contenders were getting nervous as some big guns were getting up the road. "jens" wanted me to go, so I went, "jens" in tow, break of 7 was gone, all familiar faces who should have been there. Excellent but it was about 1/4 into the race. My fitness was off due to life happens types of things and 2nd time we hit the 39x23/25 climb, the breakaway of 7 was trimmed to 6, I was shelled.

After a futile mile or so of "I think I can get back to the break" (ha, ha), I realize it isnt happening, sat up thinking I'll just get back to the field, hang out, and try for a best of the rest. However, after a couple of minutes, I'm greeted by a chase group of 8, not the field, and one of the 8 is another teammate of mine. I tell the teammate that "jens" is up the road, we dont work, if we pull through we do so just as a formality to keep from getting curbed. One guy in the chase (not a teammate) is a strong finisher, especially in uphill or longer sprints. Others are a mixture of unknowns and a Cat 3 district champ TTer who missed the move. We sit on and do not work. The breakaway of 6 stuck.

In hindsight, we had some other options, so what would YOU have done?

a) I'm strong, never would have been dropped from the break
b) worked with the chase, 3 out of 14 are better odds than 1 out of 6
c) sat on, done what MDcatV and his teammate did
d) attacked the chase, split it, and formed another smaller breakaway
e) other
Old 01-16-09, 01:12 PM
broerie
Spokey Robinson

Bikes: Merida Scultura 907

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, you did the right thing by sitting in (and hoping your chasing group would take the leaders back). You simply can't chase you own leader.
Old 01-16-09, 01:26 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c and or d, but nothing to help the break. I however, have no experience and who knows what I would do, aside from missing the initial break and getting shelled from the main group on the 1' climbs......
Old 01-16-09, 01:30 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
c) or d). Seeing as you got shelled from the first breakaway, you probably didn't have the snot for d), so c) sounds right to me. At a guess, I mean - I'm new to all this stuff. Even if you do have the stones for d), though, it's a risk - one or two other guys in the break might have them, too.
Old 01-16-09, 02:24 PM
aperez8264
Foot + Mouth = me

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broerie
Nah, you did the right thing by sitting in (and hoping your chasing group would take the leaders back). You simply can't chase you own leader.
+1
That was the best decision in your situation. If you were more fit, you could stayed w/ the break and possibly set him to solo ftw
Old 01-16-09, 02:56 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question is:
3 out of 14 or 1 out of 6?

I'd say you made the right decision letting your leader take his chance against the other 5.
BUT getting popped when you had 2 out of 7! Not good. Hope you apologized profusely. Sit the crap on and survive so you can help at crunch time.
Old 01-16-09, 03:25 PM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
The question is:
3 out of 14 or 1 out of 6?

I'd say you made the right decision letting your leader take his chance against the other 5.
BUT getting popped when you had 2 out of 7! Not good. Hope you apologized profusely. Sit the crap on and survive so you can help at crunch time.

yes, I apologized.

there's more to the story about why I was on a bad day, but let's just say I gave it what I could, it wasnt a giving up or "mental" getting dropped ... and my teammate knew that.
Old 01-16-09, 04:00 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Blowing yourself up so that your designated leader makes the crucial break is nothing to be ashamed of. Good for you. If you could have found a way to stick in the break that would have been a bonus.

Once you recovered a bit and found your way into the chase group you had no obligation to work and should have been as disruptive as you could get away with. At least you should have made them work a bit to get rid of you.
Old 01-17-09, 07:35 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you recovered a bit and found your way into the chase group you had no obligation to work and should have been as disruptive as you could get away with. At least you should have made them work a bit to get rid of you.
+1
PAge valley?

Last edited by ottsville; 01-17-09 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 08:27 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ottsville
+1
PAge valley?
smithsburg
Old 01-17-09, 09:06 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How did your teammate do in the break?
Old 01-18-09, 04:53 PM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
How did your teammate do in the break?
3rd.
Old 01-18-09, 07:14 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
C is the correct answer and well played. The ONLY time you drag the bigger break up is if it wasn't your protected rider in the front group. If it is just a domestique that has little chance of a good placing, you then take the 3/14 is better than 1/6 odds because it is true. However, Jens was protected and where he was supposed to be.
Old 01-18-09, 09:49 PM
RacerMike
Huge Member

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting series on GamJams about breaks entitled "How Not To Attack Like A Wussy". Just thought I'd throw that out there since its kinda related.