Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Wearing PowerTap HR while not biking?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 11:17 AM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been wearing my heart rate strap and carrying the head unit around in my pocket at work today. I set the unit on HR mode per the users manual but was surprised to find it has gone to "sleep" about 4 times today. I was thinking about wearing it to bed tonight to find my lowest resting HR and also see if I'm dreaming much as a little experiment but it's not going to be any good if it keeps stopping the recording.

Anyone else try this or have similar issues?
Old 01-30-09, 11:36 AM
Apus^2

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, but mine quits picking up my HR under 50 bpm.
Old 01-30-09, 01:15 PM
heads up!
ultimate cat

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how to fix the situation, but please get back to us if you do. I'd love to have some daily HR data.
Old 01-30-09, 01:27 PM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heads up!
I don't know how to fix the situation, but please get back to us if you do. I'd love to have some daily HR data.
I guess this implies that at least you have had the same problem. I guess I could just wake up every hour or so but that would probably defeat the purpose of a good nights sleep. I wore it for 6hrs 10mins at work today and only captured 5hrs 30mins. I didn't notice a few times it had stopped for a few minutes. Looks like it stopped about 11 times.
Old 01-30-09, 02:18 PM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have a cheap hrm i got online for ~$20 that I use to check hr in the morning or if I'm on my non powertap bikes etc..
Old 01-30-09, 02:26 PM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Isn't there a "sleep" setting in the CPU?
Old 01-30-09, 06:36 PM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set the autostart to HR and not speed maybe?
Old 01-31-09, 09:48 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those were times you were in suspended animation. Check for signs of alien abduction, addition of implanted tracking or monitoring devices (any new and interesting bumps or lumps?), sudden weight loss suggesting missing internal organs (are you SURE you still have two kidneys?)? Have you developed sudden cravings for jalepenos and ice cream , and does arguing Shimano vs Campy vs SRAM still have the appeal it once had? Do the moments when it stopped recording coincide with the weekly office status and team-building meetings or diversity training (those Shimano/Campy/SRAM folks are people, too)?

Also re-read the instructions for your HRM - does it have a manual start/stop setting? Any proximity to strong EM or RF fields? My Polar 720 (even with coded HRM signal) flakes out at some places at work and at one or two spots near electrical substations, and there is something in my car (but not wife's or son's) that triggers the speed sensor autostart.