Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical on the breakaway..

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Hypothetical on the breakaway..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 06:48 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
The only explanation for these 5 is that the team has a top sprinter they wanted to bring to the line. I'm really curious - did they win the race?
1, 3, 4, and 5th place. Or 1, 3rd, 5th, and 6th. I forget and it's kind of a moot point. I popped one of their guys with a mile to go by attacking the only thing considered a hill around those parts (really just a long speedbump).

We're still happy with getting a guy in the break and making it stick, but annoyed with the way those guys played and the last thing we want to see is them feel rewarded for being a bunch of tools.
Old 02-03-09, 07:36 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^well, that's getting it done individually and team wise.

does the local points standings have a team category? perhaps this is a team goal of theirs so they want to put as many as they can into "points" positions, and it was lost on them that 5 out of 9 gives them a pretty good shot at lots of points. who knows, but really, what you describe is very negative racing that takes the fun out of it - for them too. if they had 20 in a 100 racer field, they really should be gobbling up series points no matter how the race plays out.

hopefully this isnt a beacon of the racing for your season, racing against a team of 20 intent on negative tactics is tough to interrupt.
Old 02-03-09, 07:43 AM
Apus^2

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How the heck did they get 5 guys into a break, by the way? I'd like to be able to do that.
Old 02-03-09, 07:58 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Originally Posted by Apus^2
How the heck did they get 5 guys into a break, by the way? I'd like to be able to do that.
Every attempt to get a break established brought a cast of those characters. Eventually after reshuffling the deck for 90 minutes everyone decided to just roll with it.

More details can be found here..

https://www.windermereroadies.com/php...tart=30#p54029
Old 02-03-09, 08:14 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that trying to take all 5 off the back would just result in the 5 counter-attacking from the gap and going straight around the rest of the break. Being somewhat fresh and anywhere near as strong this is what I would do with my team. Of course, they have to realize what is happening.
Old 02-03-09, 08:31 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
What a bunch of bozos. Really.

What were they trying to do? If they were just monitoring the break they didn't need 5 guys. Were they working for a field sprint? You need to have a GREAT sprinter if your going to give up those odds for a bunch sprint.

If they were trying to get as many guys in the break as possible then they'd already succeeded and should be driving. Was there a really strong rider in the break that they didn't want to pull to the line? I could see not working in that case but it just sounds like they didn't have a clue. Next thing you know they will put all 20 riders at the front and form a wall because they heard someone talking about 'blocking'.

I'd either sit on and let the break get reeled in or I'd attack the crap out of these bozos until there were maybe 1 or 2 left.

I hate racing like that.

Old 02-03-09, 08:31 AM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
Every attempt to get a break established brought a cast of those characters. Eventually after reshuffling the deck for 90 minutes everyone decided to just roll with it.

More details can be found here..

https://www.windermereroadies.com/php...tart=30#p54029
The Z Motion guys make me laugh. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-03-09, 08:44 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Five of which are on the same team...The five klingons also have 15 guys in the field
That's not a team, that's a league.
Old 02-03-09, 09:28 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
What a bunch of bozos. Really.

What were they trying to do? If they were just monitoring the break they didn't need 5 guys. Were they working for a field sprint? You need to have a GREAT sprinter if your going to give up those odds for a bunch sprint.

If they were trying to get as many guys in the break as possible then they'd already succeeded and should be driving. Was there a really strong rider in the break that they didn't want to pull to the line? I could see not working in that case but it just sounds like they didn't have a clue.
Next thing you know they will put all 20 riders at the front and form a wall because they heard someone talking about 'blocking'.

I'd either sit on and let the break get reeled in or I'd attack the crap out of these bozos until there were maybe 1 or 2 left.

I hate racing like that.
You just read their playbook to a tee. My understanding is they established a rolling roadblock at 17mph.
Old 02-03-09, 09:35 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just read their playbook to a tee. My understanding is they established a rolling roadblock at 17mph.
Call me crazy, but if someone did that in a race I was in, I'd seriously consider politely telling everyone not on their team to back off 50m while I engage in a kamikaze sprint into their group.

Seriously, this sort of thing sickens me. Race your f-ing bike, you *******.
Old 02-03-09, 10:05 AM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didnt those guys do "rolling roadblocks" last year in the GA cup? Maybe that was a different team....
Old 02-03-09, 10:19 AM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From that teams perspective.

https://zmotionracing.blogspot.com

Race Report - Deland Road Race
Another great day of racing for ZMotion in Deland. The Masters team combined forces to field 17 guys in the 35+ race. We raced the seven mile loop eight times and for over five of those laps had total coverage of every single break. Karl spent almost two laps solo off the front between laps three and four.

Then we saw a break form with 11 people and 5 of them some of our ZMotion strongmen. We immediately got up front and totally shut down any attempt to bridge up. Special props go out to Raife as he was constantly blocking.

Up in the break ZMotion was doing the lions share of the work. On the final lap Julio took a flyer but with a guy on his wheel he sacrificed for the team and shut it down. Then Jeff grabbed some wheels and when he went around he never looked back to get win number two.

Julio was temporarily boxed in but got out in time to snag 3rd with Amir, Chuck and Shaun coming in 5th, 6th and 7th. Another Masters domination.

The Pro 1,2 race was again blazing fast with a race length of 63 miles and a decisive late break that stuck. Flaco was involved in some breaks and race rumos said that Wayne, Tiago and Chris all did some good work out there.
Old 02-03-09, 10:58 AM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
he said. she said.

I will say that I actually have raced at times with some of this team, and their tactics did seem a bit unbecoming.
Old 02-03-09, 03:56 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry, I should have made myself clear.

I agree with the OP, the other blog I read all the riders in this race complained along the same lines about this team.

I just like how they spun the facts to make themselves look like they did a great job.
Old 02-03-09, 04:24 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13

I just like how they spun the facts to make themselves look like they did a great job.
They didn't have to put a spin on anything... the fact is they won.
Old 02-03-09, 04:43 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
They didn't have to put a spin on anything... the fact is they won.
Unfortunately, sooner or later, this will backfire on them. Every other team out there is going to do everything in their power to make sure that they don't get results. I've seen people go above and beyond their normal abilities simply to spite someone else.

Hopefully the other teams learn from this, and figure out a way to make the rest of the season somewhat respectable.
Old 02-03-09, 05:43 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
Didnt those guys do "rolling roadblocks" last year in the GA cup? Maybe that was a different team....
Wasn't there a thread about this at this time last year? Some dumb-ass team put all their guys at the front and tried the 'rolling blockade' thing?

This is when you go to the middle of the group and insinuate yourself right up their arses. Wiggle your way through and don't be shy about bouncing off of a few of them. This will push the guys on the outside off the fricken' road as you wedge yourself to the front.

Then jump.

Once one of the clowns follows you you either have a break or the whole thing will fall apart rapidly.

Actually I think it could be a hoot messing with these guys. Fish in a barrel.

Old 02-03-09, 06:10 PM
Snap
old & slow

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their rolling roadblock also included jumping in front of the field and chopping a front wheel out. I know this for sure, cause I saw it happen just before we hit the deck.

Next time Ken tells me to keep hammering, I should listen.
Old 02-03-09, 08:37 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Snap
Their rolling roadblock also included jumping in front of the field and chopping a front wheel out. I know this for sure, cause I saw it happen just before we hit the deck.

we just need to get enough brewers together to make them pay
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-03-09, 10:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Their rolling roadblock also included jumping in front of the field and chopping a front wheel out. I know this for sure, cause I saw it happen just before we hit the deck..
if that's true, I suggest buying a batch of old zefal pumps and cinzano'ing them one at a time.
Old 02-04-09, 06:07 AM
Snap
old & slow

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not saying it was intentional, just stupid.
Old 02-04-09, 06:37 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

I'm not saying it was intentional, just stupid.
Yeah, from what I saw, I don't think these guys were intentionally reckless.
Old 02-04-09, 02:39 PM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
That's not a team, that's a plague.
fixed.
Old 02-05-09, 12:39 PM
currand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was this a road race or a crit? If a RR, I've personally seen moto's...encourage...the "blockaders" to get out of the way or get relegated. I'm sure its not legal, but frankly when you get neutralized for the women's cat 4 race, something is wrong...