Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

if the shoes don't fit...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 06:34 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went for a fit the other day and we ended the session just as we began.

He measured my arch and then my feet and ended the session with: "your shoes are too small."

My first reaction: WTF? I'm a 10.5, the shoes are 44s. So I asked, is my arch is too far forward? His reply was a first for me: "No. Actually, you have short toes."

My size 44 shoes will not allow the cleat to be in the proper position relative to my foot (and short toes). I need a 46 instead. His answer makes complete sense as the only point where you are tied to your bike is at your feet and every other adjustment begins with that.

I have been suffering perpetual problems with my IT band, hip flexor, discomfort in the posterior of my knee and I shift in the saddle often. Slight adjusting of saddle height and fore/aft position never helped for more than a few weeks or so.

So, more comfy ride: yep. How about additional power? I hope so. Will my slightly slacking training schedule be saved by a few watts bought with a new pair of shoes and fit? (if I had a PT, I'd post real results--instead, circumstantial evidence must suffice.)

...stay tuned. I'm excited to find out.

btw, my fit has been rescheduled to the day before the first good race/crit of the season (for me). I don't know how much new shoes/cleat position will change the rest of my fit, so I have no reservations about racing at the moment though if it is "weird" I'll sit out. thoughts?
Old 03-19-09, 07:18 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where are you getting fit?
I definitely need a good fit and a trip to IL would be worth it if the fitter is good.
Old 03-19-09, 07:26 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a Grip. The shop has a good rep and the fit studio is pretty rad...that and I know a guy.
Old 03-20-09, 12:00 AM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
just got my fit...shoes and all. switched out the insoles to superfeet...wow. and they said the way i had my bike set up was perfect already...something about the angle of my knee and 30 deg. was the magic number? did the plumb line. all is good.
Old 03-20-09, 08:11 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slim_77
I went for a fit the other day and we ended the session just as we began.

He measured my arch and then my feet and ended the session with: "your shoes are too small."

My first reaction: WTF? I'm a 10.5, the shoes are 44s. So I asked, is my arch is too far forward? His reply was a first for me: "No. Actually, you have short toes."

My size 44 shoes will not allow the cleat to be in the proper position relative to my foot (and short toes). I need a 46 instead. His answer makes complete sense as the only point where you are tied to your bike is at your feet and every other adjustment begins with that.

I have been suffering perpetual problems with my IT band, hip flexor, discomfort in the posterior of my knee and I shift in the saddle often. Slight adjusting of saddle height and fore/aft position never helped for more than a few weeks or so.

So, more comfy ride: yep. How about additional power? I hope so. Will my slightly slacking training schedule be saved by a few watts bought with a new pair of shoes and fit? (if I had a PT, I'd post real results--instead, circumstantial evidence must suffice.)

...stay tuned. I'm excited to find out.

btw, my fit has been rescheduled to the day before the first good race/crit of the season (for me). I don't know how much new shoes/cleat position will change the rest of my fit, so I have no reservations about racing at the moment though if it is "weird" I'll sit out. thoughts?
me too. did you go with the full on road fit service for $325? i am higly interested in getting a fit done within the next month. later.
Old 03-20-09, 09:21 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Think seriously about custom shoes if you have funky feet. I would rate custom shoes right up there with a power meter.
Old 03-20-09, 03:21 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aham23
me too. did you go with the full on road fit service for $325? i am higly interested in getting a fit done within the next month. later.
Yeah. Nothing has happened yet and I already feel it is worth the pirce because my problem was tied to a place I never would have looked. If you want it within a month I'd call soon to scheule. We rescheduled for next friday and I'm even taking off work a bit early--otherwise it would be two weeks from now...Get a Grip's fit calandar is full. (good people there; good for them)

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Think seriously about custom shoes if you have funky feet. I would rate custom shoes right up there with a power meter.
Thats a vote I like. I'm goign with the Shimano SH R300, the thermo foam custom fit. Given my shoes will be two sizes too big I figure the least they could be is snug.
Old 03-20-09, 03:55 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I definitely need custome shoes. My left foot is bigger than my right and I can't get the ball of the foot over the pedal axel with standard shoes and SPD-SL cleats. But I just deal with it anyway. Luckly for me I don't have pain anywhere as a result of it but I do wonder about power loss.
Old 03-28-09, 09:47 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, I got the new shoes and I feel pretty good in them. The cleat is 1cm farther forward than where it could be positioned in my other shoes and ~1.5cm farther forward than where they were. I raced today in them and they felt good, though I need to reserve judgement till I put a few hundred miles in them. They are not uncomfortable nor are they "loose". If I think they could be more snug, they can be reheated and reformed up to 5 times. cool.

The fit went well too. Saddle dropped and shifted back. New stem (1cm longer) and I feel pretty solid on the bike. This too, time will tell..
Old 03-29-09, 06:43 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My size 44 shoes will not allow the cleat to be in the proper position relative to my foot (and short toes).
Isn't there some thought now about cleat placement not necessarily needing to be under the ball?
Old 03-29-09, 08:20 AM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^dunno. Though when it comes to cleat position with regard to power transfer there must be a better and worse. I mean, you don't push with your toes, or with your arch. In my case, as I trust these guys, I was farther on the "worse" end. 1.5 cm is huge difference, whereas with slight differences (those allowable with the shoe you own) I could see it not being as great an issue.

Last edited by slim_77; 03-29-09 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 08:20 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I needed custom shoes. Feet are 2 different sizes, and not shaped normal due to past bone injuries. It made a huge difference! With custom shoes, you don't have to worry about the actual shoe size. They're made for your feet. Big difference to buying off the shelf.

https://www.d2shoe.com

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 04-08-09, 07:00 AM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's been a bit more than a week and after 2 races, ~150 miles and the slight soreness caused by my using slightly different muscle groups has subsided, I am feeling much much stronger on the bike. My overall position feels more "natural" and I think I am faster. Though, it will take a few more really hard rides to determine that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Get a Grip's assessment (despite the cost), their current midterm grade is A+.
Old 04-09-09, 12:09 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep. I'm definitely faster, or at least using more of my strength more efficiently. That my friends is a good feeling.