Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yaw crankset/chainrings?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Yaw crankset/chainrings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 07:45 AM
bloodfont

Bikes: Dahon Vitesse D7, Biondi (steel frame, road), Peugeot (80s, road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yaw crankset/chainrings?

Hi bikeforums.

With the current rise in popularity of the '1x' drivetrains (gravel bikes and MTB) I've been thinking of their intrinsic issue: crooked chainline. So for example, SRAM Eagle boasts a 1x12 drivetrain which of course puts the chain in extreme positions.

So what if, the chainring would simply follow the chain to wherever it wants to go i.e. to whatever rear cog (not necessarily follow every cog, perhaps 2 or 3 positions, mimicking the double/triple crankset). I’m calling this ‘yaw chainring’ for lack of a better name (although the movements possible are yaw and in-out along the spindle)

Has anyone (person/company) thought about something like this?
Has anyone seen something like this in bike history?
Old 05-15-17, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Decades ago I saw an odd crankset prototype, that moved the chain rings sideways to be in a straight chainline
irregardless of what cog you were in on the back..

It never went past prototype. displayed at a bike trade show at Harrogate, UK..

width 'Q' between the pedals was huge, to accommodate the motion sideways.

Old 05-15-17, 10:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Decades ago I saw an odd crankset prototype, that moved the chain rings sideways to be in a straight chainline
irregardless of what cog you were in on the back..

It never went past prototype. displayed at a bike trade show at Harrogate, UK..

width 'Q' between the pedals was huge, to accommodate the motion sideways.
Yes, I remember seeing those as well and considered it to be a solution in desperate search of an actual problem.

Perhaps with the advent of 12-cog clusters, its time has finally come.
Old 05-15-17, 11:14 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think anyone would ever go for it. You'd have to constantly put in energy to "turn" the chainring. With the amount of money spent on things that save 1-5W, I highly doubt someone would put something on their bike that would rob them of that many watts.

If the chainring was free floating I'd bet that the chain would hop off of it quite often. Not to mention it'd require a larger q-factor, which would hurt knees of some riders.

As the above posters said, a solution in search of a problem.
Old 05-15-17, 06:52 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thought about the same thing. How about a cable operated mechanism that could move the chainring and crank in and out along the BB by moving a lever at the handlebars.

But all that would require a major redesign... and whatever you came up with wouldn't be compatible with anything else. All for a rather unimportant goal.
Old 05-16-17, 01:31 AM
bloodfont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys, awesome replies.

There will be room for all sorts of stuff in the BB with the coming of the new BB standard i.e. larger BB. According to what fietsbob and JohnDThompson said, somebody has already tried it but perhaps of the small BB size back then, there wasn't much you could fit in there.

The free floating chainring that corrado33 wouldn't actually be "free floating", it would just move along the spindle like a MTB suspension fork blade works.

Also, to answer shafter's comment, it could work like an FD, but then it would defeat the purpose of the 1x drivetrain. It should actualy work automaticaly only by shifting in the rear.
Old 05-16-17, 02:50 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I think it's a real problem, but considering the loads that are being carried, the solution would have to be pretty beefy I would think.

scott s.
Old 05-16-17, 05:52 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I seem to remember a double chainring crank without a derailleur making the rounds a few months back; it would seem the technology is already there, but the market answered with a resounding "why?"

If your desire for a perfect chainline is tantamount, seek IGHs or a Pinion Drive, if you have deeply stacked pockets.
Old 05-17-17, 05:14 AM
bloodfont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IGHs or a Pinion Drive would be an option if you were touring or commuting, but I'm talking about MTB and gravel bikes. Those 2 systems just don't cut it in these fields, otherwise everyone would be using them.
Old 05-17-17, 09:43 AM
wschruba

Originally Posted by bloodfont
IGHs or a Pinion Drive would be an option if you were touring or commuting, but I'm talking about MTB and gravel bikes. Those 2 systems just don't cut it in these fields, otherwise everyone would be using them.
Seriously curious here, what is your justification for this? Those who are not racing/pushing the limits of the design (having worked selling bikes of all stripes, I would confidently say better than 90% of people) a small amount of extra drag is negligible versus the reduced external complexity. People on bicycle forums (not here, in particular) forget this, since they are the other 10%. As (generously) an "okay" cyclist, I could easily keep up on an IGH--worse than a pinion in terms of weight distribution, if not better protected from crap being kicked up from the front wheel.

To say nothing of the fact the a Pinion Drive (or mid-drive, really), in particular, is the best possible (emphasis on possible...) system for a suspended mountain bike--because the rear wheel is now as light as possible, the unsprung weight of the system is lower than even the lightest comparable derailleur setup...which is the best case for suspension activation.

Gravel and mountain biking are just two different surfaces, and the drive system literally doesn't care. Some systems may be ill-suited to the shocks of, say, a 4 foot drop, but that isn't the fault of an IGH, anymore than it is the fault of a Dura-Ace crank...

I don't consider everyone using something as a sign of it being the best for something. These are similar arguments for why generator hubs are inferior for everyone, or skinnier tires (or now, wider tires) are faster, etc...

Otherwise, a derailleur drivetrain (even with poor chain line) falls into the same category as everything above...it works 'good enough'. Expect a major redesign to encounter the same objections/resistance above.
Old 05-18-17, 01:14 AM
bloodfont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Seriously curious here, what is your justification for this? Those who are not racing/pushing the limits of the design (having worked selling bikes of all stripes, I would confidently say better than 90% of people) a small amount of extra drag is negligible versus the reduced external complexity. People on bicycle forums (not here, in particular) forget this, since they are the other 10%. As (generously) an "okay" cyclist, I could easily keep up on an IGH--worse than a pinion in terms of weight distribution, if not better protected from crap being kicked up from the front wheel.

To say nothing of the fact the a Pinion Drive (or mid-drive, really), in particular, is the best possible (emphasis on possible...) system for a suspended mountain bike--because the rear wheel is now as light as possible, the unsprung weight of the system is lower than even the lightest comparable derailleur setup...which is the best case for suspension activation.

Gravel and mountain biking are just two different surfaces, and the drive system literally doesn't care. Some systems may be ill-suited to the shocks of, say, a 4 foot drop, but that isn't the fault of an IGH, anymore than it is the fault of a Dura-Ace crank...

I don't consider everyone using something as a sign of it being the best for something. These are similar arguments for why generator hubs are inferior for everyone, or skinnier tires (or now, wider tires) are faster, etc...

Otherwise, a derailleur drivetrain (even with poor chain line) falls into the same category as everything above...it works 'good enough'. Expect a major redesign to encounter the same objections/resistance above.
Nice comment.
So are you saying that the only reason for 'pros' not using IGH/pinion drive is because of sponsors pushing what they want (marketing) and because of weight? I also assume configurability, because if you want to swap cogs on a cassette you can, is that possible on IGH/pinion drive?

And for that matter, why isn't SRAM Eagle a 1x12 using IGH?

Last edited by bloodfont; 05-18-17 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 02:17 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Have preferred the 1xN set up since long before it became a trend. If chain ring is lined up with middle of cassette, not sure chain position is such a big deal.
Old 05-18-17, 08:16 AM
wschruba

Originally Posted by bloodfont
Nice comment.
So are you saying that the only reason for 'pros' not using IGH/pinion drive is because of sponsors pushing what they want (marketing) and because of weight? I also assume configurability, because if you want to swap cogs on a cassette you can, is that possible on IGH/pinion drive?

And for that matter, why isn't SRAM Eagle a 1x12 using IGH?
Originally Posted by wschruba
[snip]Those who are not racing/pushing the limits of the design (having worked selling bikes of all stripes, I would confidently say better than 90% of people) a small amount of extra drag is negligible versus the reduced external complexity.[snip]
I'm going to assume you aren't trolling, and actually answer your question; yes, of course you can change the drive ratios on the Pinion (and IGH in general), with about the same amount of customization as a 1x derailleur drivetrain... That is, you can change the input ratio of the drive system (or with a Pinion, the final drive). The ability to meaningfully (or easily) change the drive ratio on a "high end" cassette was lost years ago, so the comparison is quite appropriate.

There is a long and storied history of cyclists, both racers/casual users, having technology [read: improvements] they did not want shoved down their throats, if you only look for it.
Old 05-18-17, 09:22 AM
bloodfont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. My question is pretty much answered. I actually got more info than I hoped for . Here are my conclusions:
- my initial idea (moving chainring) was attempted in the past (was hoping for some links or photos though )
- regarding 1x drivetrains, IGH (or pinion drive) seems to be the future, especially with something like CVT
- we shouldn't be making decisions by what the 'pros' use, since they mostly don't have a say in it
Old 05-18-17, 10:12 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Have you considered a planetary gear for the crank? That would give you 2-3 gears with one chainring.

Might be able to make one with modern technology that is not so bulky that it would be prohibitive.