Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mirror, thoughts and recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 08:44 PM
sacr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

My cycling is mostly commuter and Ive just grown to old and stiff to comfortably turn my head to be able to see what is coming from behind me when I want to migrate to the middle of the road to do a turn or just simply see how close the cars are behind me, and or the type of car. I need a mirror. Fairly simple device so I purchased a generic type form ebay that bolted to the handlebars and looked the goods. Yet the mirror was not flat/of great quality and having it setup with angle of incidences/reflection at ~ 45 degrees(which is about the only way to setup it up on a bike) produced very blurred images that were basically useless.

My local bike shops dont offer much, bar end mirrors(dont think they'd work for me having to look even lower, as well as I have bar end shifters) or mirrors that tie on with rubber straps(they have to be kidding) no way they wont vibrate badly or slip out of adjustment.

Helmet mirrors, they look fiddly and risk of damage every time one puts their helmet somewhere. Rather something that was just bolted to the handlebars and a low care item. Solid metal would be fine, + a true optically flat surface. Where can I get such a mirror? (and dislike convex, too hard to really figure out how far exactly they are behind or how close they are to my side of the road)

Any other suggestions, thoughts. Thankyou.

Last edited by sacr; 10-30-23 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-30-23, 08:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've tried many and settled on helmet mount because it allows me to easily sweep my field of view as needed. Yes it gets bumped out of place when stowing the helmet, but it pushes back easily enough. I used glasses mount for a while; problem is if glasses get foggy or rain covered, removing glasses means no mirror.

I have friends who use the bar-end type for drop bars like this https://www.ebay.com/p/5011034059?iid=380891890845

I tried that but found it had limited field of view. I guess that's why some are convex.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-31-23, 05:49 AM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
EVT-Safe Zone bicycle helmet mirror works for me.
Likes For polyrhythmia:
Old 10-31-23, 06:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I bought some mirror off Amazon, which fits into the end of a handlebar .... even drop bars(which is how I have it mounted.) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Not sure if the same mirror is even available, but there are a million copies--I am sure this mirror copied some other.

Key points---convex lens, multiple hinges, individual joints can be tightened. I can put it in place and it stays, ans when I park, I can fold it in out of the way.
Old 10-31-23, 06:08 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I've found the Hafny brand mirrors have decent optical quality, and their blue anti reflective coating is a really good option.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-31-23, 06:11 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I've been using a glasses mounted Take-A-Look Mirror for over 25 years. It's metal and brass. If you don't wear glasses, you could start wearing safety glasses. Or I think some people mount them to their helmets.

On my glasses, at least, I merely have to slightly twist the mirror into place at the beginning of my ride and it stays put, even after 10 years of use on the current one. The previous one is at least 25 years old and I keep it in the shed with the bikes for quick, impromptu rides.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-31-23, 07:04 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I've tried helmet mount and glasses mount, could never get them aligned right and if I did I soon broke them or knocked them out of alignment. But many have success with them.

I settled on Sprintech bar end mirrors that you can get on Amazon for under $20. Glancing down works fine, they last a long time, easy to adjust. and don't really stick out - I'm not breaking them (I have them on 2 bikes).

None of these come even close to what you are used to in a car and none of them replace the need to still look before you move/turn left, but definitely a safety increase.
Old 10-31-23, 07:34 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I use a Hafny bar-end mirror. Very good optics, easy to install and mine never gets out of position, despite me hitting it once in a great while with my knee.

With that said, the best bike accessory purchase I ever made has been my Varia rear light/radar unit. Working with my Garmin Edge, it detects and displays on the Garmin’s screen all vehicles (and bikes) that are approaching me from behind. I never ride without it.

The combination of the Hafny & Varia products give me great piece of mind and I consider both of them money well spent.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 10-31-23, 08:38 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I use a Hafny bar-end mirror. Very good optics, easy to install and mine never gets out of position, despite me hitting it once in a great while with my knee.

With that said, the best bike accessory purchase I ever made has been my Varia rear light/radar unit. Working with my Garmin Edge, it detects and displays on the Garmin’s screen all vehicles (and bikes) that are approaching me from behind. I never ride without it.

The combination of the Hafny & Varia products give me great piece of mind and I consider both of them money well spent.
This - I use a Sprintech convex mirror on the left bar-end in combination with a Varia. I "check my six" regularly in any case, but the Varia alerts me that something is approaching, the mirror enables me to see what it is (18-wheeler vs car vs motorcycle etc) and - more importantly - is it pulling out to give me space. IMO, a rear-view and Varia are a very effective combination.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 10-31-23, 09:15 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Go to the BikeINN website, I got mine from the warehouse in Spain. They really have a million parts.
I've been using bar mirrors that are like the ones on light motorcycles. They have an 8 mm shaft, so very steady as long as the pivot is still tight.
I did have to DIY fiddle a bracket from old shifter mounts.
They are absolutely perfect for me to see a long way back on the highway. Still OK in the city, but I use it less.
Old 10-31-23, 09:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This has been my go to for over a decade.

https://www.amazon.com/IRBM-Italian-.../dp/B01N9PEZ0Q
Old 10-31-23, 10:34 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
The helmet mount mirror is the main reason I wear a helmet even for short rides. I feel blind without my helmet mirror. I hang my helmet on a coat hook by the door and it rarely gets pushed out of alignment, but it's no big deal to line it up at the start of each ride. Been using the same one for years and just move it to a new helmet when needed. Cheap and effective for situational awareness.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-31-23, 10:53 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
This - I use a Sprintech convex mirror on the left bar-end in combination with a Varia. I "check my six" regularly in any case, but the Varia alerts me that something is approaching, the mirror enables me to see what it is (18-wheeler vs car vs motorcycle etc) and - more importantly - is it pulling out to give me space. IMO, a rear-view and Varia are a very effective combination.
I use my mirror for essentially the same reason as you... To confirm that the vehicle coming up from behind has moved to the left to give me a bit more room.
Old 10-31-23, 11:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
Any other suggestions, thoughts. Thankyou.
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
- Use a Garmin Varia radar with included light. The light patter changes when cars approach, to help them notice you and the radar displays the vehicle on your phone or gps and gives a visual so you can tell how fast the car is approaching, as well as how many are behind you at any given time.

How early should a vehicle move over for you to not be concerned? Not trying to argue, but if it hasnt moved over 100' before passing...then what? Do you bail into the grass along the road? Do you swerve into the road further to be seen? I am unsure why a mirror to confirm a vehicle has moved over is beneficial when many cars dont really move over before probably 30' or so, based on what I see when riding and driving.

Anyways, a couple old guys I know and rode with for years have eyeglass mirrors and love em. Thats probably the way to go since you use bar end shifters.
Old 10-31-23, 11:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

OP says he uses bar end shifters.
7 different posters suggest a bar end plug style mirror.
Classic BF thread.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-31-23, 11:31 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Hafny Handlebar Bike Mirror, HD,Blast-resistant, Glass Lens, HF-MR095 (Anti-glare left)

https://a.co/d/eqQidl7
Old 10-31-23, 11:34 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I use a helmet mounted mirror and won't go for a ride without. If it gets knocked out of alignment off the bike, a quick adjust as I start a ride will make it better. After a long tour, I even find myself lifting my eyes up and to the left as I'm walking down the sidewalk and then quietly chuckle at my muscle memory. IMHO attaching a mirror to the handlebar is like connecting the mirrors in you car to your steering wheel.
Likes For coupster:
Old 10-31-23, 11:51 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Most of the mirrors I have are ones I've been using for many years. I hadn't realized that nearly all drop bar compatible mirrors currently on the market mount in the bar end, which on OP's bike is occupied by the shifter. There used to be a good mirror whose mount wrapped around the brake hood and secured with velcro - I currently use this on two of my bikes that use drop-bar levers, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore on the open market.

Looking online, the Zefal Spy might work. Yes, it uses a rubber strap mount, but it looks like the strap might cinch tight enough on the bars to not move / vibrate as much. I haven't used one, though.

I've broken the glass out of several mirrors due to minor crashes and the bike falling over on the mirror side. I just bought a 50 pack of 3" nominal round mirror glass (actually 2 7/8" - perfect replacement size for many models) to repair past, current, and future broken mirrors.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-31-23, 12:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Blackburn helmet mirror. The mount to helmet isn't really secure enough, so I add my own glue. I bring a spare on tour, just in case. I much prefer helmet or glasses mirrors so that one can scan the area behind.

Racers don't use mirrors because the deal is that safety is the responsibility of the rider following. Thus those recreational riders who fancy themselves racer boys or girls also seldom use mirrors. The issue is that with large metal objects instead of bicycles behind one, it doesn't matter whose responsibility it is, you're just as dead or injured either way.
Old 10-31-23, 12:18 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Radar?? LOL. What a farce. Trucks see me a quarter mile back. All 300 of them, most rides.
Are you going to hog the lane with THESE behind you?? LOL. One day they came along every hour. And this is far from the widest loads.

Old 10-31-23, 12:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Radar?? LOL. What a farce. Trucks see me a quarter mile back. All 300 of them, most rides.
Are you going to hog the lane with THESE behind you?? LOL. One day they came along every hour. And this is far from the widest loads.
If you are seen from a quarter mile back, then there is no need for you to use radar or mirrors(like the one mounted on your bike).
This post, like so many of your posts, makes no sense.

I have found the radar to be invaluable on gravel since I often want to ride on good lines which means I am not on the right shoulder. I cant easily hear vehicles approaching due to wind and gravel noise, so the radar picks up vehicles from 450' away and I am able to make my way to the right shoulder for the vehicle to pass without inconveniencing them.
Old 10-31-23, 12:38 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Hafny Handlebar Bike Mirror, HD,Blast-resistant, Glass Lens, HF-MR095 (Anti-glare left)

https://a.co/d/eqQidl7
The mirror I purchased off ebay is a copy of this, but optically was useless. Have you used one of these to verify that it has a proper glass flat mirror in it? More than likely, I will need to purchase online and not be able to inspect how good the mirror is.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
OP says he uses bar end shifters.
7 different posters suggest a bar end plug style mirror.
Classic BF thread.
Lol, at least no-one told me to get rid of the bar end shifters, get a new bike etc

- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
I dont think you took in the bit where I mentioned I was a city commuter and to do left turns from the centre of the road(on less busy roads) saves a lot of time(not having to pull over to the right and walk bike across road etc). If there is no following traffic, I can safely do that, a good mirror should allow me to see if the road behind is clear(NB, Im actually in Aust - so have just reversed the directions to avoid confusion on this US based site)

Thanks for the other helmet recommendations, I havent tried them. One concern is if one glues them into place how do you do a quick adjustment to avoid intense reflections, like when the sun is directly behind you?

Last edited by sacr; 10-31-23 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add material
Likes For sacr:
Old 10-31-23, 03:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass.
That’s your opinion. Many of us like to know what is coming up behind us.

Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
You do know that mirrors work further away than “mere feet”

​​​​​​​- Use a Garmin Varia radar with included light. The light patter changes when cars approach, to help them notice you and the radar displays the vehicle on your phone or gps and gives a visual so you can tell how fast the car is approaching, as well as how many are behind you at any given time.
And I thought the EVT mirror was stupidly expensive. $150 to $400 depending on options!!!!!!!!???? That is ridiculous money!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-31-23, 03:25 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
Any other suggestions, thoughts?
"A helmet won't save your life, a rear view mirror will." - Heinz Stücke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_St%C3%BCcke

I didn't really want to agree with Herr Stucke, but he's ridden more in more different situations than me. In fact, more than everybody on this thread put together.

Last edited by tcs; 10-31-23 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 03:41 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
This had been my mirror since 2017.

Busch & Muller Cycle Star Mirror

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.