Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh Washington Blvd Cycling Oval Criterium Weekly Series

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 08:47 PM
Karenjack241

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have to move to Pittsburgh to go to school for work until August.

I was wondering if anyone here had information on the Allegheny Cycling Association weekly criterium series at the Washington Blvd. Cycling Oval. (https://www.acaracing.com/schcr09t.html) (I linked to the Tuesday series as I am a woman).

I have never raced and have limited experience riding with groups. My main question is is it friendly for beginners, or if it would be more appropriate for me to get more experience riding with groups first (I have read the sticky on starting to race, FWIW)? I see that there is a new rider training, but I am curious on what that is focused on.

I'm not sure I will be even able to make it over in time, as it will be dependent on my workload, but if it is a viable option for someone looking to get their feet wet, I will do my best to make it work.

Thanks ahead of time for the input.
Old 01-30-09, 09:05 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
It's a good starting point, no tight corners or anything. Good luck.
Old 01-31-09, 07:13 AM
ottsville
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karenjack241
Hello,

I have to move to Pittsburgh to go to school for work until August.
I feel for you.

I don't know about the racing there, other than the Tour de 'Toona is running a stage from Seven Springs(which should provide for some good racing). The burgh's really not a bad place to be though...they do a GREAT free music festival in the summer at the park at the confluence of the rivers.

The mountain bike scene is pretty good there too, with some good riding right in town.

Last edited by ottsville; 01-31-09 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 03:09 PM
gwchem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To echo above, yeah, that's a great place to start racing. Do the beginners thing, talk to some other new people, have a good time.

I got my start with those races a long time ago.
Old 02-02-09, 07:25 AM
Karenjack241

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it not an issue that I have limited group ride experience?
Old 02-02-09, 01:20 PM
gwchem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard to say. What do you mean by limited? Are you comfortable riding with 20-100 people in a pack? Have you ever ridden on a banked turn before?

I assume you'll be fine if you show up and let the people in charge, and the ones who you're racing with know that you've never done this before. As a good rule of thumb, the old guys in the faded club team jerseys are probably good people to talk to about this stuff. Many of them have been racing for decades and 9 out of 10 cyclists I know are happy to talk to you and help out.

So you'll never know until you try. Show up early, and warm up a little. Have fun!
Old 02-15-09, 10:48 AM
TrekDen
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another good point to mention. The oval has free access daily, so you can check it out, and take a few laps to get a feel for the turns. They'll be happy to have you come out & race. Anyone who has ever raced, had to start somewhere. Just get out there & enjoy it!

Denny