Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More riding = better rider, not more $$$$

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 07:43 PM
Brian_1
bike fandango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some thoughts from an older road rider -

A professional fitting is more important than what you spend on a bike, assuming the bike is decent quality to begin with. Get your fit and current bike dialed in and you may really notice an improvement in your riding efficiency - probably more so than with the purchase of one frame material over another. IMO, high-end bikes for sport/recreational riders are not money wisely spent, but it's your money and your fantasy. I've seen my fair share of expensive dust catchers in garages and eBay bikes that people had a change of heart about, and yeah - some people ride their high-end bikes believing they are somehow a better rider because they have a certain name on their head tube. How many times have you rode on a club ride and seen some of the guys on the high-dollar racing bikes and thought, "they would do better with a less expensive bike and more body fat reduction" or, " that fellow seems like he's riding with his seat way to low". I know I have.

My steel boat anchor -

17.45 lbs. (w/o the seat pack shown) weighed on an Ultimate scale at local shop https://i13.tinypic.com/4mc8pr6.jpg
This one has mostly four-five year old components (some bought used on eBay, some bought on sale at online retailers) on a 4.15 lb. frame. Add a few more grams for all that Frame Saver I sprayed inside the tubes. Yes, those are downtube shifters I'm using - they have indexing and a friction mode, and they weigh 70-something grams, and they are cheap. I like integrated shifters, and they have proven to be very useful for keeping both your hands on the handlebars at crucial times, but they are not necessary. The spacer and +/rise on stem exposes me as +50. Don't laugh - you'll be middle-age soon enough and you'll understand. I have endo'ed this $650 Salsa frame on several occasions, and it's no worse for wear - just a spoke tweak or two on my wheelset and it was good to go.

I've read about people building 16-16.5 lb. steel bikes with a True Temper S3 frame without adding super expensive, super-lightweight components. My guess is that steel frames will hang around a bit longer.

IMO a good mid-level frame (regardless of material used in tubes) and a quality full carbon fork is hard to beat on a cost/performance ratio - that said, you'll never hear me mouthing that "steel is real" cliche like I'm somehow superior to anyone on a non-steel frame. I just snicker when I hear people say that stuff.

Good news to those of us who don't want to spend $3G's + on a bike - now that 9-speed drivetrains and steel bikes are out of favor the deals are out there on eBay and at the online retailers.

Whatever your nirvana, a C-50 or an old PX-10 - get out and ride more.

Last edited by Brian_1; 07-13-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 08:34 PM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a geo metro will also get you to the same place as a mercedes s500
Old 07-13-07, 08:41 PM
thelazywon

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R340, 2014 Specialized Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My argument is...I want to find a bicycle frame that is going to go the distance with me. I have been riding on a frame that is 4cm too big for 3 years. So, I want to find that baby that fits like a glove, and ride it forever. That's why I am looking hard for a nice Ti frame. I'm not a racer, I don't ride fast, I ride about 100 miles a week commuting, and 30 miles a week with my family for fun. But I want to find something nice, and stick with it. If that makes me a fantasizer, then I guess my head's in the clouds.
Old 07-13-07, 09:00 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17 pounds is not exactly a boat anchor. There are tons of Aluminum bikes that weigh more.
Old 07-13-07, 11:01 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like pie. Apple pie is my favorite.
Old 07-13-07, 11:04 PM
thelazywon

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R340, 2014 Specialized Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like eggs. Fried eggs with cheese.
Old 07-14-07, 05:18 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm more of a blueberry pie fan....Hmmmmmm....Blueberries....
Old 07-14-07, 06:20 AM
gfrance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ain't a thing wrong with that bike in the picture. And it is no boat anchor.
Old 07-14-07, 09:50 AM
Brian_1
bike fandango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
17 pounds is not exactly a boat anchor. There are tons of Aluminum bikes that weigh more.
You know I was being humorous in saying that - right?
Old 07-14-07, 10:12 AM
Gee3
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right. LIke a lot of people say here... improve the engine first.

But I think a lot of people like me have bought into the marketing even though most of us will never race in these "fast" bikes designed for racers. Unfortunately, my pocket book can't afford my fantasy bikes. haha! So I continue to enjoy the ride on my Allez alu bike.
Old 07-14-07, 10:18 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good points but I have to ask...

If I have my fit dialed in and carry no excess body fat, is it then OK to chase my fantasy?

BTW - what is my fantasy anyway? Maybe if I knew what it was, I could focus and get on with achieving it.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep on riding and building. I kinda like it.

55/Rad
Old 07-14-07, 10:28 AM
mazpr
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean about high end bikes.

its like those people who pay a yearly membership on GoldsGym and just go once a month and its just to check the girls do aerobics.

I think this is my 3rd or 4th post in this forum, sometimes those bikes look so clean and sharp that they would look awesome as shelf queens.

I got some bodyfat thats why I am taking a break from radio control nitro cars and spend more time cycling and weightlifting and of course cutting on the beer cold turkey.
Old 07-14-07, 10:42 AM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian_1
IMO, high-end bikes for sport/recreational riders are not money wisely spent, but it's your money and your fantasy.
That was all you really needed to say the rest is well like you said your rambling thoughts and opinions.......

You only live once unless you plan on shopping or living your fantasies out of the grave I suggest you splurge a little and enjoy it before the last shoveling of dirt covers that wooden box........

NEXT!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-07, 10:50 AM
paul_858
SD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road cycling is like road racing(auto variety). People often pour tons of money into their car in hopes of going faster on the track when in reality seat time, experience, and training will make them a much better driver than any equipment could ever make them.

But that's the allure of the hobby... tweaking things. I see a very similiar trend here in road cycling.

Like most people here have said, it's the engine, not the bike.