Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding on first bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 03:02 PM
Sonick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

So I am looking at buying my first bike since I was a kid. I am 35 and 350 pounds. I do not want to spend $500. I plan to buy a cheaper bike just to see if I like biking and in a few months if I do I will look at something better (was looking at a Gravity Bullseye Monster). I saw great reviews of the Schwinn Boundary from Walmart on YT by KevCentral. There is the older Boundary which he originally did a review on that seemed pretty worth the money, but he also reviewed the newest one and said it had considerable upgrades. Our local walmart has the older version but the newer version is not available. I am also looking at a Genesis Villotti. That too seems to be in my price range. I don't know if Amazon is moving away from selling bikes or what but almost everything there is sold out so these are really my only two choices right now. I need help picking. They will only be ridden on pavement and for maybe an hour or two at a time a few times a week. I am in the process of losing weight and not using this as a weight loss tool but more just to get myself moving. Local bikes stores aren't an option for me right now. I will be locking the front suspension fork so I don't have to worry about that wearing out (hopefully). Links below and thanks in advance!

*edit* nevermind I can't post links.
Old 05-02-20, 03:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Check out BikesDirect.
Old 05-02-20, 04:06 PM
Sonick

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Check out BikesDirect.
I was looking at the Gravity Bullseye Monster but not wanting to spend that kind of money just yet. Want to make sure I am going to stick to it first. The two bikes I listed are $174 and $248 which is comfortable for me to spend starting out.
Old 05-02-20, 11:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I don't know the Walmart market well enough to advise you. I have seen the video breaking down the CF Walmart MTB .... not moved to buy one myself, but for light use, it should be fine.

The real key is to buy a bike and start riding. If the Schwinn Boundary looks like it would work for you, buy it, love it, and ride it to death.

Likely Walmart can order one, possibly from a nearby store or warehouse. I have had them do that for me with odd-sized car tires.

https://retailers.schwinnbikes.com/e...undary-s2764wm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-B...lack/153585860

https://retailers.schwinnbikes.com/u...pdf?download=1 (owner's manual)

Two notes---it seems to be one-size-fits-or-doesn't, with an 18" frame. Test one.

Second--if ti has a 7-speed freewheel and cluster instead of a freehub and cassette .... it will be prone to axle bending if it takes big hits. But .... you can probably ride it moderately hard for a long time and enjoy it. I have put tens of thousands of miles on freewheel axles without issue (not all on the same one, though.)
Old 05-02-20, 11:15 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
350 lbs might be too much for standard cheap wheels that come on most bikes today. You may need to get custom built back wheel. Look into the 'clydesdale' section and see what they recommend.
Old 05-03-20, 05:12 PM
Sonick

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. So I got the 27.5 Schwinn AL Comp today. Rides well but I don't like having to lean forward with the straight handlebars so I will be changing them out. Not sure if I want to go comfort or cruiser. This bike won't be seeing any trails so hopefully it can handle the weight. From everything I saw online it seems like it should.
Likes For Sonick:
Old 05-03-20, 07:22 PM
JeffJbike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How is the bike riding for you?
Old 05-03-20, 07:39 PM
Sonick

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't rode it much as the handlebars are super uncomfortable for me. Looking now and deciding what I am gonna replace them with. I am thinking cruiser style bars. This won't be seeing trails.
Old 05-03-20, 08:38 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Consider raising the existing handlebars. If the handlebars are higher, you sit more upright, and put less weight on your hands.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...andlebars.html
Likes For alo:
Old 05-03-20, 08:59 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I'm getting 10 inch rising handlebar. If you're not racing then it is very silly to ride in a prone position, especially if you are anywhere near cars while you do.
Old 05-03-20, 09:50 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Consider raising the existing handlebars. If the handlebars are higher, you sit more upright, and put less weight on your hands.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...andlebars.html
On the other hand, you do put more weight on your rear, in a more upright position. So there are trade-offs.

I think before changing handlebars, just ride it every day. Ride two or three miles 3x/wk this week. That's only 15 to 20 minutes. Ride five miles 4/week next week. That's going to take you a half hour. Next stick with that half-hour ride for a couple more weeks. By then your body will be accustomed to the posture you take when riding. Then you can start increasing your riding time to 40 minutes, 50, an hour. Your body keeps adapting to the time spent on the bike.

Although it is important that a bike fit well, it's also important to realize that your body simply isn't accustomed to being on a bike, and will feel uncomfortable for the first couple of weeks of regular riding.

I'm in pretty good shape, but in the winter time my road bike doesn't get any use -- I shift over to using my hybrid because I can put fenders on it. Every year as I resume using my road bike, it always feels too stretched out, too awkward. A week or so later, it's all good, and in fact better than my hybrid.
Old 05-03-20, 10:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonick
Thanks for the input so far. So I got the 27.5 Schwinn AL Comp today. Rides well but I don't like having to lean forward with the straight handlebars so I will be changing them out. Not sure if I want to go comfort or cruiser. This bike won't be seeing any trails so hopefully it can handle the weight. From everything I saw online it seems like it should.
I don't like straight bars either, they pound the hell out of my wrists. I have "swept" bars on my bikes for this reason. On one bike, I installed a shorter stem and a "FSA Metropolis" bar. Worth looking into. Of course you have to confirm the dimensions of your existing parts before trying to change things out. Also, raising the existing bars might be worth a try. Within reason, you might be able to do these things without extending the cables. Of course, compared to WalMart prices on a new bike, a collection of upgrade parts might not seem cheap.

One thing that can make a difference on the longevity of any wheel set under any rider is making sure the spokes are sufficiently tensioned. That's worth a search in its own right.
Old 05-05-20, 02:57 AM
Maelochs

I'd personally adjust what I have before I'd try anything new---why spend if it isn't needed?

I agree swept bars tend to be more comfortable as a rule ...
Old 05-09-20, 08:47 PM
RobertJason75

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've also found flat bars and drop bars a bit unnecessary for leisure riding.
Old 05-10-20, 08:18 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Craigslist and police auction, ignore brands from chain retail stores.