Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lights For Daylight Use

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lights For Daylight Use

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 11:21 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I agree that, other things equal, a brightly-colored jersey is more desirable. But if you have a good blinkie light, I'm not convinced that the jersey color matters much at all.
The problem is that the blinkie light is only useful in the dark or in twilight. In broad daylight it doesn't do a whole lot of good.
Old 03-18-22, 11:33 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The problem is that the blinkie light is only useful in the dark or in twilight. In broad daylight it doesn't do a whole lot of good.
Not true.
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 03-18-22, 11:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. My blinkie lights are quite bright. And in high-traffic areas, I run two: one blinking, one steady.

Edited b/c I just remembered this incident: A couple years ago, out on a quiet country road, a pickup truck passed me and then pulled over. Guy got out and waited for me. He wanted to compliment my taillight -- said he saw me long before passing me. That was broad daylight.
Old 03-18-22, 01:23 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I had a bright clothing and flashing tail light on and still got rear ended a few months ago. Ended up in ER with a fractured hip and a busted knee but luckily no surgery was required. There are some great ideas in this tread but to add my 2 cents, it helps to select a path that's less dangerous which is difficult to do where i live.

Also feel lucky for have switched to flat pedals a while back, i was thrown in the air by the accident, don't imagine how much worse it would've been while connected to a bike.
Old 03-18-22, 02:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. My blinkie lights are quite bright. And in high-traffic areas, I run two: one blinking, one steady.

Edited b/c I just remembered this incident: A couple years ago, out on a quiet country road, a pickup truck passed me and then pulled over. Guy got out and waited for me. He wanted to compliment my taillight -- said he saw me long before passing me. That was broad daylight.
What brand light do you use?
I have 250 lumen Niterider tail lights on my bike and my son's bike. I ride with my son to school everyday, and I can tell you that 250lumen light is just too small to be visible if you are not looking right at it.
Old 03-18-22, 03:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
What brand light do you use?
I have 250 lumen Niterider tail lights on my bike and my son's bike. I ride with my son to school everyday, and I can tell you that 250lumen light is just too small to be visible if you are not looking right at it.
I have several taillights ranging from 100lm to 350lm, and each of them is plenty bright enough to be visible in daylight.

It's not just the lumen rating, by the way: it's also the lens, how the light is directed. For example, my 100lmm Bontrager light is as good as any of my others because it is very well-designed.
Old 03-18-22, 04:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't use lights during daytime, for daytime visibility I prefer to wear one of those hi visibility construction vests over my regular clothing.
Old 03-22-22, 11:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
he saw me long before passing me. That was broad daylight.
right, that's a good share. it's not that ppl won't see us, it's that the light(s) identifies us way in advance, so drivers& bikes can have a few more seconds, to plan their pass around us
Old 03-22-22, 12:59 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I am surprised at how many adult riders I see on the roads with drab clothing and black helmets. I have a white helmet and wear a red or yellow jacket or jersey so I stand out to drivers. Motion is key and I notice reflectors on pedals much more and much sooner than a stationary light mounted to a bike.

Another option to consider is the Garmin Varia bike radar device that integrates well with Edge and other monitors to warn a cyclist of an approaching vehicle.
Old 03-23-22, 02:08 PM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I am surprised at how many adult riders I see on the roads with drab clothing and black helmets. I have a white helmet and wear a red or yellow jacket or jersey so I stand out to drivers. Motion is key and I notice reflectors on pedals much more and much sooner than a stationary light mounted to a bike.

Another option to consider is the Garmin Varia bike radar device that integrates well with Edge and other monitors to warn a cyclist of an approaching vehicle.
I saw one cyclist w/ all black: black bike, helmet, jacket, tights, socks, shoes. And the road was narrow, winding and shoulderless with a lot of tress causing dark shadows. I thought to myself, this guy is going to get run over.

Last edited by greysquirrel; 03-23-22 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-23-22, 06:44 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
I saw one cyclist w/ all black: black bike, helmet, jacket, tights, socks, shoes. And the road was narrow, winding and shoulderless with a lot of tress causing dark shadows. I thought to myself, this guy is going to get run over.
I see a lot of riders like that and I always have the same thought--they're looking to be a statistic.
Old 03-23-22, 08:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I have a mind-searing 350 lumen cygolite rear light and for my pre-dawn rides I get tons of complaints from all my cycling buddies that ride behind me.
But I get exactly zero complaints from them post sun rise.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 03-23-22, 09:08 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't use lights during daytime, for daytime visibility I prefer to wear one of those hi visibility construction vests over my regular clothing.
Likes For ColonelSanders: