Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Summertime and Cyclocross is so Yesterday

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 08:49 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

But come the fall and a young man's fancy will invariably turn to thoughts of mud, sludge and extreme conditions with a Guerciotti on his shoulder and a muddy uphill in front of him.

After my fore' into smaller size cyclocross bikes I went back and tried my 'correct' sized Raleigh again. And sure enough, the experts on cyclocross sizing knew what they were doing. Although my 59 cm Team may be the slightest bit large (maybe a 58 cm would be just a touch better) the 55 cm Pinarello CX is definitely too small. Luckily there's always a place for it in my garage as a loaner to friends for CX training rides after the mud appears. Though those 28 mm knobbies will have to come off and some 32's appear.

If you're racing you use the narrowest possible tires since you get the best speed that way. After all, you normally carry through deep stuff and don't ride it so that makes sense. But CX recreational rides are different. You use a triple and wide tires and you RIDE everywhere possible.

I've got this riding buddy who will fit the Pinarello perfectly. Now all I have to do is wait for fall before attempting the torture test.
Old 06-08-06, 12:58 PM
bovine

Bikes: Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thread so nice, he made it twice.
Old 06-09-06, 10:03 PM
on your left
On Your Left

Bikes: Lynskey Cooper CX and a Trek Rumblefish - my retirement presents to me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Walla Walla
Old 06-10-06, 04:22 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Actually the stupid server made it twice. It showed "server busy" so I tried to send the message again and it already had the first one. And then it wouldn't allow me to delete the second one.
Old 06-11-06, 11:20 AM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
must admit it's going to feel strange doing a Cross race on 25th June
Old 06-11-06, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Shouldn't you say Cyclocross is so tomorrow if you're planning on doing it in the fall?

Koffee