Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

4" or 5" of Travel?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

4" or 5" of Travel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 05:59 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Don't forget to look at the Cannondale Rush and Prophet. I too am trying to decide weather to go 4" or 5"...I think I am going 4" at this point.
Old 06-23-06, 09:46 AM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies. I think if/when I go FS, my best bet would be a 4" travel bike. The terrain I"m riding just doesn't seem to justify anything more than that (at least not for the riding I like to do). Now it's just a matter of saving my pennies, which I'll be able to start doing again once my single speed build is finished (getting oh so close now).

Old 06-23-06, 07:35 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maestro and VPP, i think many people knows they are the same, bike enthusiasts that is, normal people will think its a new suspension and so on. Anyway for me 4" means trail and XC riding and 5" is for all terrain. Unless you could get your hands on a Scott Ransom 20 then it will be out a 5" All mountain bike, lol. Anyway because of the price in malaysia, it seems Giant bicycles is one of the best bicycle manufactureres out there to get good bikes with good components and a reasonable price and their bike won a lot of competition. But if I got a lot of money I will buy a 06 Ells Truth, I saw it, my dealer bought in A ells truth and it looks very beautifull. Expecially its paint job.
Old 06-24-06, 04:50 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I really like my Tomac Revolver, 3" XC full sus. Unfortunately, the entire Tomac line was discontinued last year by Litespeed. I have recently scene both the Revolver and Eli, (5") frame and rear shock in Mt. Bike Action back pages advertized at $650 new. If you are interested, PM me and I'll look it up for you.
Old 06-24-06, 04:55 PM
Hambone40
It's all good!!!

Bikes: 2006 Stumpjumper, 2005 Hardrock Sigle Speed, 2002 Trek 2000 Road Bike, 2007 Stumpjumper Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pheard
Well, I don't have much experience. But from reviews I've read, and people I've talked too. The stumpy fsr line is great, and smooths out trails amazingly. It also, has rear and front lockout to keep up with hardtails on long xc rides.

You could easily find, a stumpjumper comp, or expert marked down and within your price range.

Msrp: 2000

Msrp: 2200

Msrp: 2800

I've found both bikes at multiple shops, for 1999$ and 2500$. Im sure if you looked around and really wanted the experts specs you could find it for 2500. Otherwise I'd suggest the comp.

I got my 06 stumpy in Nov. for around 2,000. I love it.
Old 06-26-06, 11:49 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Those Tomacs are at https://www.cambriabike.com/
Old 07-02-06, 01:00 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for a similar specification earlier this year, and last week picked up a Giant Anthem 2 for £1600. Having just switched from a hardtail, and looking for something of similar weight as I want to start racing next year. This with some modifications that include XT paddle shifters and a remote lockout on the fork, and it still weighs under 25lbs

Now all I need to do is get fit enough to race
Old 07-02-06, 01:10 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One cool aspect of your price range is you will likely get an adjustable travel fork, maybe even rear shock. My Fox Talas fork adjusts from 4-5" while riding, giving me a more forward leaning stance for climbs, but pure plush pleasure on the descents.