Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cross Frame Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 07:51 AM
Miranda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross Frame Build Up

I have a decent cross frame I would like to build up for racing. Would you have any advice you could give me to "trick" it out and try to keep the weight down yet make it reliable?

Can you race cyclocross with Campy Record? My road wheels are all set up for Campy. A co-worker of mine said that even though he loves Campy for the road Shimano is much better for cross. If, so how do I build up this bike? Drivetrain? Bars, Fork? Tubular racing wheels? Tires? What would be the best set-up? I am leaning on going with a double chainring up front.
Old 08-01-06, 01:03 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can race on Campag Record no problems. Whilst I do not run record I have a full Campag drivetrain.

One advantage of campag over shimano in a cross race is that by having the brake release on the lever you can actually increase the mud clearance of the brakes whilst riding along.
Old 08-01-06, 01:30 PM
colnago57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't say there is an advantage to running Shimano over Campy. It depends on what you prefer. If you already run Campy I would stick with that. In building up the frame, if you can find a few parts that you can swap out to save weight, like looking at other wheels or a better bottom bracket to shave a little weight off.
Old 08-01-06, 02:57 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
The only thing that I have ever come across as to why Shimano might be better then Campy is because when you crash Shimano levers will move inward and take the fall where as Campy levers can break off. Other then that Campy is fine I personally would not run Record just because it's awfully expensive and things tend to break a lot. I would definitely go with the tubular wheel set, they make a huge difference.
Old 08-01-06, 09:43 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I'm running Mirage shifters and ders with shimano D/A hubs, cranks. It gets the best of both on a budget and doesn't weigh much.

If cost means anything at all to you avoid the Record, or the bike will be parked when something does brake. And as good as campy record is, running into trees and stuff will break it.

Ron
Old 08-02-06, 12:23 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Part of what makes a cross bike a cross bike are the cranks. I recently acquired a used Surly Crosscheck. The person who built it up used Dura Ace cranks and the clearances are way too close with the chainstays.
Old 08-05-06, 01:36 PM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My JTS is rebuilt with an AlphaQ and Campy Centaur. That being said, Centaur is a bit muc, I will switch it for Mirage this season, I hate the idea of breaking the nice shifters...

Campy rocks for anything but MTB.
Old 08-21-06, 11:57 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think campy centaur is fine for cross, record is over kill. tubulars is the way to go for cross, lightweight rims and no pinch flats. if you go with clinchers, get tufo tires to avoid pinch flats. if you're running a really heavy frame like a cross check saving a little weight at the bottom bracket is not going to make much difference. start with a light frame and remember you want something solid on a cross bike. as for cranks for racing, figure out what gearing you really need. you're not going to need a 53 chainring! something like a 44/39 would be more usefull for cross.
Old 08-23-06, 04:53 PM
fruitless
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
Part of what makes a cross bike a cross bike are the cranks. I recently acquired a used Surly Crosscheck. The person who built it up used Dura Ace cranks and the clearances are way too close with the chainstays.
. . .and yet lots of pro CX bikes run DA cranks. Sounds like a Surley issue.

https://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html