Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

10 speed Capreo?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

10 speed Capreo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 01:26 PM
reduction

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Remember that 9s and 10s stack height are close enough that one can generally use both on the same freehub (for standard freehubs).

Shimano 9s is supposed to use a 1.78mm thick sprocket, and 10/11s use a 1.6mm sprocket.

However, the internal plate dimensions of 9s and 10s chains are supposed to be similar. I think 11s chains are slightly narrower. But, 11s (and thus presumably 10s) chains will work on the 9/10/11 Capreo sprockets generally without a problem.

The design of the Capreo sprockets fitting together is such that the inter-sprocket spacing can be thinned slightly.
Thank you so much! Learned a lot from you :-)
Old 08-27-16, 01:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by reduction
Thanks for the explanation. That sounds expensive on the long run :-)
I'm likely to do big rings, since you have already tried 70t without problem, unless bike friday guys give me a really good price for a new Capreo wheel...

The chainring is this one:
Bikingreen 70T BCD130 Recumbent Chainring CNC 7075 Road Fixie black TT Track

I do get a little sprocket noise when cross-chained. Not bad with a pretty straight chainline.

As mentioned, so far I haven't gotten a front derailleur to work with the 70T. I'll work on that a little more later. My bike has the Sachs 7x3 with the 8 of 9 option.

I actually like the 70T + direct drive on the hub better than using overdrive on the hub (the low gear is handy at times though).

Oh, and I think it requires a spliced lengthened chain.

I do have a 50-something ring on the bike too, and will occasionally do a "greasy finger" shift.
Old 08-27-16, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
He can drop By the Green Gear shop .. I left Eugene 19 years ago..

They shipped my Rohloff Pocket Llama to Me 53:16 (I could put a 13t on it)

They buy components they dont make them its how the industry works ..

some really Big component orders the supplier rebadges them for the Bike Brand, on the frame.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-27-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 08:09 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Driveline make a 58t ring with shifting ramps&pins.
Old 08-28-16, 11:06 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I've been rethinking Capreo the last few days. Capreo was created for small wheeled bikes...hence it should be best ( but it's not ). Ultimately the high cost and poor distribution mean that it is not a good choice for 20" wheels. As mentioned previously a bigger chainring is a better option.

Hence Capreo should only be considered on 16" wheels, but internal hubs make perfect sense on 16" 305 wheels.

In short I am not sure I understand a good use of Capreo given the cost and ridiculously long lead times.

Thanks
Yan
Old 08-29-16, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

^^ Ok, Opinion read , but, Given: Bike Friday in Oregon builds a bike JIT,

from a buyer selected Menu should they choose A Caprio , then that is what is used.

I expect they Have a Case of them there.
Old 08-29-16, 10:37 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
A Capreo is a good choice for 406 or 451 wheels wanting to use a double up front where a f/d may not be able to handle a larger than standard chain ring.. I use a Capreo on one of my Pacific Reach road bikes with 451 wheels running standard 53/39.. another Reach with an electric mid-drive has a max chainring of 52t, so that one also gets a Capreo .. in the US, QBP stocks Capreo hubs/cassettes/and tools .. at least for right now.. just got a batch in last week.. back in the day, Moulton developed a special 9t rear cassette for the AM offerings running 17" 369 wheels.. I still have one of those on a production AM-14 with a 62/52 up front ..
Old 08-29-16, 11:02 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
^^ Ok, Opinion read , but, Given: Bike Friday in Oregon builds a bike JIT,

from a buyer selected Menu should they choose A Caprio , then that is what is used.

I expect they Have a Case of them there.
True but it is a rigged market. A one seller market is non-competitive by definition. This diminishes the value IMHO.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-29-16, 11:54 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by reduction
Yea, I'm waiting for their response on different options. It seems they are inclined to the Capreo.
I think the 9-10-11-13 is fixed on Capreo, meaning they are not separable. There's just no way to get 9-10-11-12 unless one custom builds the cassette or do something sneaky

They are indeed riveted together but it's quite possible to drill these out as I did and then insert sprockets from a different cassette. I ran mine with a larger 32 Sprocket for a while but am now using a 28t as I was doubtful about the chain wrap needed. Now I run with a 29t large sprocket with a 59/39 using 17" wheels on my Esprit. Back in the day it was customary to choose your sprockets from a display board and so make up your own custom cassette.

Last edited by onbike 1939; 08-29-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 02:43 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by onbike 1939
They are indeed riveted together but it's quite possible to drill these out as I did and then insert sprockets from a different cassette.
The large sprockets are riveted, but are pretty much standard Shimano, and can be changed with any Shimano 9s sprockets.

The small sprockets (9,10,11,13) are not riveted. As mentioned, while the 13T may be Capreo specific, it is not required, and any Shimano 12T sprocket will substitute. Perhaps other first or second position sprockets from other cassettes too, especially those second position sprockets with a 11T in the first position.
Old 08-29-16, 05:29 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Capreo setup. Every once in a while you'll find the cassettes on sale. Moreover, reasonably maintained cup and cone hubs last a long time in my experience. If you're really worried about the cassette wearing out, I'd change the chain more frequently.

Performance-wise, it lets one use a standard set of chainrings and get reasonable gearing. Especially with index shifting, it makes a big difference up front.
Old 08-30-16, 02:36 AM
onbike 1939

The large sprockets are riveted, but are pretty much standard Shimano, and can be changed with any Shimano 9s sprockets.

The small sprockets (9,10,11,13) are not riveted. As mentioned, while the 13T may be Capreo specific, it is not required, and any Shimano 12T sprocket will substitute. Perhaps other first or second position sprockets from other cassettes too, especially those second position sprockets with a 11T in the first position.

Yes....I used the sprockets from another Shimano cassette to change mine in a search for smaller gears.

Problem is that the small 17" inch wheels means that if one has to use a larger capacity rear der in order to achieve more chain wrap, then even a medium rear der means that the hanger being longer is perilously close to the ground.
Old 08-30-16, 06:53 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Problem is that the small 17" inch wheels means that if one has to use a larger capacity rear der in order to achieve more chain wrap, then even a medium rear der means that the hanger being longer is perilously close to the ground.
If you can give up some combinations and be careful -- since the wheel is so small and you probably stick to the big chainring, I'd give up small chainring to the smallish cogs -- you would effectively reduce the needed capacity.
Old 08-30-16, 08:34 AM
CliffordK

Yes....I used the sprockets from another Shimano cassette to change mine in a search for smaller gears.

A Suntour triple pulley derailleur should take up a little extra chain slack. The problem is that they may mess with indexing systems. And, of course, they're not that easy to find. I've been meaning to try to make a similar derailleur cage for use with more standard derailleurs.
Old 08-30-16, 10:16 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A Suntour triple pulley derailleur should take up a little extra chain slack. The problem is that they may mess with indexing systems. And, of course, they're not that easy to find. I've been meaning to try to make a similar derailleur cage for use with more standard derailleurs.
Doesn't someone make a similar add-on for use on a Birdy?

Hmmmm ... it doesn't have a jockey wheel at the end.

Birdy Chain Tensioner Holder for R. Derailleur : Urban Bike Fitters
Old 08-30-16, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by downtube
True but it is a rigged market. A one seller market is non-competitive by definition. This diminishes the value IMHO.

Thanks,
Yan
Part of why Weapons Procurement with taxpayer money is ramped Up , And Cost +% Contracts.
Old 08-30-16, 12:12 PM
onbike 1939

I remembered something like this but was unable to remember which one it was. I'm going to look around for one though I'm not optimistic.
Old 08-30-16, 12:20 PM
onbike 1939

Originally Posted by invisiblehand
If you can give up some combinations and be careful -- since the wheel is so small and you probably stick to the big chainring, I'd give up small chainring to the smallish cogs -- you would effectively reduce the needed capacity.

True.....but I need the low gears given by the small chainring given my age and decrepit state.
Old 08-30-16, 02:33 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Try Downhill Shimano Zee or Saint RDs. They are to sit higher, more tucked in.

Old 08-30-16, 05:44 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
True.....but I need the low gears given by the small chainring given my age and decrepit state.
Oh ... you keep the small chainring. Just make sure you never cross chain from the small chainring to the small cogs. That leaves you with the big cogs and the lowest gears.