Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Bike Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 09:36 AM
Jaackil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Buying advice

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and an absolute newbie when it comes to cycling. I am a 57 year old male looking to get started biking to get back in shape. I currently have an old Raliegh Grand Prix that I bought in 1982 that sits in a trainer. I am not sure I would trust it on the road anymore and it isn't the most comfortable ride at my age so it is perfect in the trainer. Here is where I need help, I am looking to purchase a bike. From everyone I have talked to at shops, a Hybrid sounds like the best option to start with. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bike that I might not be riding all that much.(I have 2 kids in college so spending $1000 plus on a bike is not something I can wrap my head around) The most recommended bike so far from shops is the Trek FX2 Disc. I can nor find a whole lot of independent reviews online about it. Finding competitors to that model is also confusing for a newbie. I have also been looking for used bikes but craigslist is a bust so far and have not been able to find any other used bike resources other than facebook. Here is what I am looking for in a bike. Something good quality, that I can ride enjoyably for fitness rides most likely on paved roads and trails. I do not expect to be going off road. I am pretty set on disc brakes as a couple of years ago I was out on my Raliegh and found myself going down a very steep hill in an unexpected rain shower. I learned two things that day, how fast my Raliegh would go and how well traditional pull brakes work in the rain. I am getting too old for that type of adventure and still need to be able to go to work every day :-) So here is my question, Is the FX2 disc a good value for the money?($600which is my top limit) Are there other options to consider that would be less money or a better value for the money? I would love to spend $300-$400 or less but will go to $600, so I am open to used. I also live on the Central Mass/Metro West border. I am open to any and all suggestions except spending big money on a road bike that option is further down the road. Right now I want to get out and start riding on a good value in my price range. I understand that this is probably a frequently asked question so please feel free to also point me towards resources that would be helpful. Thank You in advance!

PS I have seached the forum already but sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for when you don't really know what you are looking for lol
Old 04-01-19, 11:57 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Why not just have a shop adjust the fit on your old bike. I find the drop bars on my road bike more comfortable on long rides that the straight bars on my hybrid. That and a thorough tune up on the old bike might be all thats needed to get out riding again.
Old 04-01-19, 12:45 PM
Jaackil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Why not just have a shop adjust the fit on your old bike. I find the drop bars on my road bike more comfortable on long rides that the straight bars on my hybrid. That and a thorough tune up on the old bike might be all thats needed to get out riding again.
Thanks for the reply. Reasonable question. First the geometry of the frame is not really the most comfortable, not a lot of thought was put into comfort and geometry in 1982 with this bike. But in addition to that I am not sure I would trust the integrity of the frame and fork. Beyond that it will need new brakes, chain, cassette , chain rings/cranks, the teeth could easily saw wood, derailleur, cables all around, tubes and tires and bearings or new wheel on front. The front fork has some play in it, not sure if the fork is gone or just and adjustment. If the frame is ok which I am not sure about, basicly everything else needs to be replaced. I may eventually do that but for now I think a new bike is a better option.
Old 04-02-19, 04:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaackil
I am new to the forum and an absolute newbie when it comes to cycling. I am a 57 year old male looking to get started biking to get back in shape. ...

Here is where I need help, I am looking to purchase a bike. From everyone I have talked to at shops, a Hybrid sounds like the best option to start with. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bike that I might not be riding all that much....The most recommended bike so far from shops is the Trek FX2 Disc...

Finding competitors to that model is also confusing for a newbie....

Here is what I am looking for in a bike. Something good quality, that I can ride enjoyably for fitness rides most likely on paved roads and trails. I do not expect to be going off road. I am pretty set on disc brakes ...

So here is my question, Is the FX2 disc a good value for the money?($600which is my top limit) Are there other options to consider that would be less money or a better value for the money? I would love to spend $300-$400 or less but will go to $600, so I am open to used. I also live on the Central Mass/Metro West border.

I am open to any and all suggestions except spending big money on a road bike that option is further down the road. Right now I want to get out and start riding on a good value in my price range. I understand that this is probably a frequently asked question so please feel free to also point me towards resources that would be helpful. Thank You in advance!

PS I have seached the forum already but sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for when you don't really know what you are looking for lol
Originally Posted by fietsbob
# 1, choose a Bike Shop you like, then (2) tell them about what your riding plans are...

(3) test ride some bikes they have..!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Help with choosing a bike.

To add to that good, general basic advice, I recently posted...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend? IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals.
Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston. [It also has disc brakes.]
BTW, noting that you post from Central Mass / Metro Boston, I’m in Kenmore Square in Boston.

You might try posting also in the General Cycling Discussion Forum, with a wider readership.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-02-19 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 12:41 PM
Jaackil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, noting that you post from Central Mass / Metro Boston, I’m in Kenmore Square in Boston.

You might try posting also in the General Cycling Discussion Forum, with a wider readership.
Thanks for your reply, I really like the quote about Starting with the high end bikes and work down. I love that advice, next time I am looking for a car I will start at the Ferrari dealership and work down from there. Makes sense SMH.
I did get a nugget out of it however. I decided to go back to the bike shop I bought my original from in 82. They are a Giant dealer and also Marin I was interested in the Marin Fairfax line. Spent a lot of time with a woman there, told her what I had looked at what I was getting as a recommendation and that I was interested in the Marin. She showed me the Marin and Giant Fast Road SL-3. Both were beyond my $600 range but the Fast road SL-3 is on sale and brought it down to the same price as the FX-2. Does anyone have opinions Giant vs Trek? The derailleurs seem to be about the same Trek has the Acera/tourney combination Giant Claris front and rear. Giant has a carbon fiber fork, Trek Allofork There is a difference in tires. Giant has their own Tubeless, Trek has Bontrager H-2's. I have no idea if tubeless is better or worse. Or does none of this really matter? Is it safe to assume shop bikes in the $600 range are all going to be about the same quality and difference is a matter of personal preference?
Old 04-04-19, 03:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Bike Buying advice

I recently posted...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.
Thanks for your reply, I really like the quote about Starting with the high end bikes and work down. I love that advice, next time I am looking for a car I will start at the Ferrari dealership and work down from there. Makes sense SMH, I did get a nugget out of it however.

I decided to go back to the bike shop I bought my original from in 82. They are a Giant dealer and also Marin I was interested in the Marin Fairfax line. Spent a lot of time with a woman there, told her what I had looked at what I was getting as a recommendation and that I was interested in the Marin.

She showed me the Marin and Giant Fast Road SL-3. Both were beyond my $600 range but the Fast road SL-3 is on sale and brought it down to the same price as the FX-2.

Does anyone have opinions Giant vs Trek? The derailleurs seem to be about the same Trek has the Acera/tourney combination Giant Claris front and rear. Giant has a carbon fiber fork, Trek Allofork There is a difference in tires. Giant has their own Tubeless, Trek has Bontrager H-2's.

I have no idea if tubeless is better or worse. Or does none of this really matter?

Is it safe to assume shop bikes in the $600 range are all going to be about the same quality and difference is a matter of personal preference?
Thanks for your comment, @Jaackil. My advice is more strategic than tactical. I have previously posted:
I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling, Touring, and seasonally, Winter Cycling….
First real bike. Help Plz

Earlier on this thread I linked to a previous post about my buying strategy; here’s the actual post, prompted by @Maelochs 's…

Though I’m short on details (technical specifics), I do wonder how one can (knowledgably) cite so much.
Personally though, from my experience as an owner, I have made a recommendation, considering your self-identified requirements

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-04-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 04:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My son worked at a bike shop while in high school and college and the Trek FX line was the most popular. It's good value and they can last a long time. Understand you're getting an "entry level" bike that's good for short casual rides and i've seen them on group ride of 30-40 miles. It's not a race bike but there's no reason you can't get up to a 15mph pace.

Spending anything less and you're getting a "toy store" bike that will be a low quality product most likely assembled by a non mechanic.

For the FX... buy the model you can afford. There's no reason it won't last long enough for the kids to be out of college and you have enough disposable income to buy a really nice bike.

When my son got his Masters, both my kids were off the family payroll and I bought myself a present... a "stupid" expensive bike. And after 22,000 miles i've still think it was the best investment i've made for myself.
Old 04-04-19, 05:20 PM
Jim from Boston

...I decided to go back to the bike shop I bought my original from in 82.They are a Giant dealer and also Marin I was interested in the Marin Fairfax line. Spent a lot of time with a woman there, told her what I had looked at what I was getting as a recommendation and that I was interested in the Marin.

She showed me the Marin and Giant Fast Road SL-3. Both were beyond my $600 range but the Fast road SL-3 is on sale and brought it down to the same price as the FX-2.

Does anyone have opinions Giant vs Trek? The derailleurs seem to be about the same Trek has the Acera/tourney combination Giant Claris front and rear. Giant has a carbon fiber fork, Trek Allofork There is a difference in tires. Giant has their own Tubeless, Trek has Bontrager H-2's.

I have no idea if tubeless is better or worse. Or does none of this really matter Is it safe to assume shop bikes in the $600 range are all going to be about the same quality and difference is a matter of personal preference?
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
My son worked at a bike shop while in high school and college and the Trek FX line was the most popular. It's good value and they can last a long time.

Understand you're getting an "entry level" bike that's good for short casual rides and i've seen them on group ride of 30-40 miles. It's not a race bike but there's no reason you can't get up to a 15mph pace.

Spending anything less and you're getting a "toy store" bike that will be a low quality product most likely assembled by a non mechanic.

For the FX... buy the model you can afford. There's no reason it won't last long enough for the kids to be out of college and you have enough disposable income to buy a really nice bike….
I’m curious about how much this Trek FX costs, Are there different models?I’m not interested in buying, but I have posted, from my limited experience with various bikes:
Help with choosing a bike.

To add to that good, general basic advice, I recently posted to this thread, Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500,and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
…For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic.

After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me
Old 04-04-19, 08:52 PM
Jaackil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m curious about how much this Trek FX costs, Are there different models?I’m not interested in buying, but I have posted, from my limited experience with various bikes:
I am looking at the FX2 Disc. That retails for $600. There are several FX models in a wide range of prices. Trek is currently giving $50 off. So $550 right now. I actually decided to go with the Giant Fastroad SL3. MSR $765 but giant is currently running a promotion and it is $612 on sale. I decided on the Giant because it Seems to fit the riding I am going to do better. Which is most likely all paved roads and trails. I felt the components were slightly better and the carbon fiber fork seems to feel better.
Old 04-05-19, 05:38 AM
Jim from Boston

I am looking at the FX2 Disc. That retails for $600. There are several FX models in a wide range of prices. Trek is currently giving $50 off. So $550 right now. I actually decided to go with the Giant Fastroad SL3. MSR $765 but giant is currently running a promotion and it is $612 on sale.

I decided on the Giant because it Seems to fit the riding I am going to do better. Which is most likely all paved roads and trails. I felt the components were slightly better and the carbon fiber fork seems to feel better.
Thanks for the reply. FYA, when I got into cycling in the early 70's, without advice, I bought a Schwinn 5-speed suburban for about $100, I think.

After I got hooked and wanted something real good, again without advice, my then-girlfriend-now wife touring companion and I bought French road bikes, Merciers, for about $250, a considerable expense back then for a college student.

Nice bikes but not touring bikes; they even came with sew-up tires. Nonetheless,
... began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a [fully loaded, self-sufficient] bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula.

The Mercier wore out and now I ride a Bridgestone RB-1 purchased in about 1991 [until 2012]...
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What a coincidence that your wife and girlfriend both ride the same bikes. Do they ride together?.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-05-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 10:43 AM
Jaackil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
My son worked at a bike shop while in high school and college and the Trek FX line was the most popular. It's good value and they can last a long time. Understand you're getting an "entry level" bike that's good for short casual rides and i've seen them on group ride of 30-40 miles. It's not a race bike but there's no reason you can't get up to a 15mph pace.

For the FX... buy the model you can afford. There's no reason it won't last long enough for the kids to be out of college and you have enough disposable income to buy a really nice bike.

When my son got his Masters, both my kids were off the family payroll and I bought myself a present... a "stupid" expensive bike. And after 22,000 miles i've still think it was the best investment i've made for myself.
Thanks for the reply, That was helpful. I did decide to go with the Giant for basicly 2 reasons. Price/Value for the money and the Giant leans more towards a road bike end of the hybrid spectrum where as the Trex FX2 Disc is more in the middle of the spectrum. Where all of my riding will be on pavement it seemed like a better choice. There is an FX model comparable but it is in the $800 range. I was able to get the Fastroad for the same price as the FX2. If I stick with it maybe in the future I will get into the "stupid expensive" rides too lol
Old 04-05-19, 11:26 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Glad you made the right decision for YOU.

Now go out and ride the wheels off it.