Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1st gen Deore touring drivetrain

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 09:49 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

I just bought this 1983 Schwinn Voyageur about a month ago. The drivetrain is really cool, and in really nice shape. I’m not sure yet if it’s going to be suitable for my riding style, and I’m not sure I feel good about subjecting it to commuting abuse. Is it worth anything? Not the bike, just the drivetrain. I’m really liking the frame so far.

Old 05-13-19, 05:23 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
I see a Voyageur and I see it has front and rear racks. I think it's a nice looking ride in total. On eBay I see used Deore groupsets sell for around $200 (less fees). Maybe someone on here can offer a first generation value higher than what eBay shows for Deore sets in general.
If it was me and it fits I'd keep it.
Old 05-13-19, 05:32 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Missing the Deore crankset and unique pedals. Thats a big part of the value. RD has some rust and corrosion. FD has minor condition issues too. I don't see a lot of sale potential as a group. Its not a group.

Those DT levers have a unique braze on. You are not going to fit modern levers on there without some trimming. Mounting screw is different size too as I recall.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-13-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 05:29 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

So I’ve got two polar opposite views on these parts, any other opinions?
Old 05-13-19, 05:32 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Imma polish those rusty screw heads.
Old 05-13-19, 05:35 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Does anybody think I could get a hundred bucks out of the crank, both derailers, and shifters?
Old 05-13-19, 06:23 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Does anybody think I could get a hundred bucks out of the crank, both derailers, and shifters?
If you dismantle crankset, clean it up, and include the bottom bracket, that will get you half way there by itself, So yes, with some prep work, $100 is realistic.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 05-13-19, 06:26 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by wrk101
If you dismantle crankset, clean it up, and include the bottom bracket, that will get you half way there by itself, So yes, with some prep work, $100 is realistic.
Thank you!

The pics above were the day I got the bike, I’ve already cleaned up and polished the crank and shifters. There aren’t any scratches, the whole bike was just a little dirty and grimy for hanging in a garage for 20 or 30 years.
Old 05-13-19, 06:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
I just bought this 1983 Schwinn Voyageur about a month ago. The drivetrain is really cool, and in really nice shape. I’m not sure yet if it’s going to be suitable for my riding style, and I’m not sure I feel good about subjecting it to commuting abuse. Is it worth anything? Not the bike, just the drivetrain. I’m really liking the frame so far.

Very pretty but I doubt the parts are worth enough for you to take them off and find replacements. What year is this voyager? I saw its twin today at the local bike collective.
Old 05-13-19, 07:45 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by hazetguy
I did a little "internet research" on what the SP was all about, as I am putting a 1981 bike together with 'first gen' Deore touring components (it wasn't an MTB group then). Apparently the SP marked Deore is specific to an '82 and/or '83 Schwinn Voyageur, like you have. So the market for those specifically might not be there unless someone is really wanting to put one of those back together.
What is the date code on your Deore stuff? I had an FB coded derailleur, Feb 1981, and have an FE coded rear derailleur, as well as some H year code (1983) parts, and a GB (Feb 1984) coded front derailleur, and they do not have that SP marking/labeling.

So I guess yeah, yours would fall under the "first gen" category, but with specific brand stickers.
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for doing the research for me, I confess I didn’t take the time!

I’ll look at those date codes tomorrow and report back. I think that stuff is interesting. I haven’t even looked up the serial number or anything yet, and it’s been a month. But I’ve sure spent a lot of time riding it.
Old 05-13-19, 07:50 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Further confession: I’m torn about even messing with anything. It works so well despite not being “exactly” what I want. And the way that I wrench on my bikes, it might be better in the long run to leave well enough alone.
I never imagined I’d have to do “soul searching” about a 35 year old set of bike parts.
Old 05-13-19, 07:51 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

It really is a VERY good bike, though. At $45 delivered to my house, it was a steal.
Old 05-13-19, 08:07 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I flipped a coin.

I’m gonna keep it like it is, and ride it until it falls apart. I’ll report back here periodically.

It has an odometer on the front wheel, had 1845 on it when I bought it. I think safe to assume based on condition etc it was installed there when new. I’ve since come to kind of hate the odometer, it squeaks and the trip odo digits don’t line up and it’s a pain taking off the front wheel and putting it back on.

I’m not much interested in tracking mileage for any other reason, but it does sound kind of fun to see how long it lasts. I won’t abuse it on purpose, but my commute is rigorous at the current time.

A moderator could feel free to move this to any appropriate forum.

Edit: had I made this decision prior I personally would have posted to C&V, not commuting as I may not always be commuting by bike.

Last edited by Phamilton; 05-13-19 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 08:17 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I don’t have any idea how long it will take. I have a same year Raleigh Marathon that I put about 4,000 commuting miles on and rode it to pieces.