Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paypal has a user update coming and it is not friendly

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paypal has a user update coming and it is not friendly

Old 04-17-19, 12:31 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Interesting to me at least, is that Venmo, another payment service that just happens to be owned by PayPal, does not have all the PayPal fees, yet. I haven't really investigated it, but I should.
I have no interest in using Venmo even though the transfer fee is less.. because it is PayPal attempting to be the Facebook of payments and I just do not want or need a social media presence of any sort. Every time I list something for sale on CL , I am ask by some hipster if I take Venmo which from what I’ve read is more of a let’s split the check kinda application versus what PayPal is. Even though Venmo is owned by PayPal the two have no connection to one another meaning that you cannot send money from Venmo to PayPal.

Interestingly enough the same people who constantly ask me if I will take Venmo also always end up telling
me oh I don’t drive will you deliver the bike, or parts to Portland?
Old 04-17-19, 02:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
@repechage ,, all I am really seeing here is that F&F transactions to foreigners are affected ... It just doesn't affect me I do not buy from individuals overseas . Most of what you are complaining about really doesn't affect most individuals who use paypal . I sell so very little on ebay its not really an issue TBH . If this is an issue for you however , you might consider using crypto currency .
The potential for a seller to be out fees in an otherwise cancelled transaction is not terrific.
There has been a steady march of updates that are designed to protect/enhance profitability. interestingly, Paypal's market cap now far outstrips ebay from which it was spun off.
Old 04-24-19, 04:07 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Seems like they are forcing the new user agreement. They closed my account and held my $17 hostage until I did all the things they wanted. Social security number, or tax ID number and clicking the user agreement.

Also oddly the website seems almost unusable now, my flash and ad block stuff is freaking out. Had to use IE just to get it to load.
Old 04-24-19, 04:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Are there any other viable alternatives to paypal or ebay? Or, is it a case of "there's Google and then there's everyone else". BTW, I rarely use Google now.

There used to be Yahoo Auctions. I liked the system, but then it shut down abruptly. I have to wonder if Yahoo is kicking themselves for that decision.

I think there are a couple of start-ups that have tried, but I would be very reluctant to use a non-EBay alternative for selling at auction, just not enough bidders.

Amazon, of course, is an alternative for the fixed price sales, bypassing both EBay and PayPal.

And, a growing number of Craigslist like sites.

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Also oddly the website seems almost unusable now, my flash and ad block stuff is freaking out. Had to use IE just to get it to load.
PayPal has been trying to push a software update to my phone. So far I've been resisting.

My PC has been fine. Used both E-Bay, and PayPal today. Firefox. Adblock Plus (came installed on this machine, so I left it, but not a big fan of it), + NoScript (PayPal & PayPal Objects allowed).
Old 05-03-19, 01:50 PM
CliffordK

Ok,

Tried it today.
PayPal F&F to Europe.

The added fee popped up at just over 1%.

Not sure about the exchange.
Google says the exchange, dollars to Euros: $1 = 0.8928 €
Paypal says the exchange is: $1 = 0.8644 €

Of course, there is always a little discrepancy of buying vs selling. But, one is getting hit by about a 3% exchange fee PLUS the 1% transfer fee on top.

Likely PayPal floats some of the $/€ conversions, so they don't exactly pay added conversion fees on every transaction assuming 2-way or 3-way sales, then clears out the differences on a daily or weekly basis.
Old 05-04-19, 01:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Just as a point of interest (see what I did there?) foreign exchange rates at the consumer level are never the same as the published commercial rate, like what would be quoted on Google or the WSJ front page. Great as a general ballpark figure, but can't really be counted on for accuracy unless you're dealing with a transaction with a whole lotta zeros...and even then things move around a little when you get down to pennies and fractions.

Last edited by rccardr; 05-04-19 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 01:14 PM
CliffordK

I just got onto PayPal today.

They've updated the screens.

One can't directly select "Friends and Family". But, rather one clicks on the little padlock button in the middle "Free Protection".

By disabling the buyer protection, one gets the free transaction.

It does seem a big fraudulent if "Free Protection" is not actually "FREE". Ahhh... I see, one has to read the whole page to see that it isn't "FREE".

By admitting that "Free" is a matter of buyer/seller protection, then hopefully they will remove any issues with using it as part of transactions.