Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

San Gabriel River Trail - Safe ??

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

San Gabriel River Trail - Safe ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 08:30 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Last Sun. (26th) my wife & I rode a loop starting on the LA/Rio Hondo at Hollydale Park. Only a few vagrants here & there although the campsites in the brush across from the R/C field & rifle range are in full swing. Saw an El Monte patrol SUV driving along the west side of the RH @ Rosemead. Went up & around to Encanto Park then crossed the footbridge to the upper SGRT. 3 gangsta looking types doing a drug deal right on the path adjacent to the bridge! The bums were all over the bathrooms just down from there by the parking area on the south side of the trail. Also saw a few staggering along before we turned into the SF Dam park area. The upper portion used to be pristine. The lower portions south of Arrow Hwy & from the golf course to Rosecrans where we exited have been cleaned up again & not too many bums & trash litter the trail..

I told my wife we'll stick to the Orange County trails from now on funny how none of this exists in Anaheim Hills or Irvine.

I never felt threatened or unsafe but I carried my Mini-Griptilian clipped to my jersey pocket just in case...

West
Old 08-28-18, 05:17 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Had some bloody pics of his legs too but posting photos (attachments) here seems kind of a mess. :-P

Last edited by GuessWhoCycling; 08-28-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 06:16 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Hope he's alright! I guess that was in Downey, which I rode right through on Saturday (both ways). I guess you just never know.
Old 08-29-18, 04:55 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He's alright, just shaken. I heard you go both ways but you are much bigger than he is, he's a short small guy, easy target.
Old 08-29-18, 05:20 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
He's alright, just shaken. I heard you go both ways but you are much bigger than he is, he's a short small guy, easy target.
Scary. I've ridden SGRT by myself north from where I live to the Santa Fe Dam and back and never had an issue. This year in the spring I rode with friends for first time in a few years (was unable to ride due to injury) and I found there to be more homeless encampments along trail than before. Nothing like what was on SART but there was a spot that the trail makes a U around an area with pipes and there was a small tent city built inside that U. I now do not feel safe riding solo going north.
Old 08-29-18, 10:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Nothing like what was on SART but there was a spot that the trail makes a U around an area with pipes and there was a small tent city built inside that U. I now do not feel safe riding solo going north.
That's all gone... there used to be some small encampments under some overpasses like the 5, peck road, the 60 etc. and they're also gone, never mind that HUGE stretch of tents along the fence adjacent to the trail north of Beverly. There are apparently always going to be a few somewhere, can't get 'em all but law enforcement seems to have been doing a good job. IMO.
Old 12-06-18, 10:09 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I ride it Solo a few times a week from Whittier to Seal Beach and back without issues so far. The occasional losers usually loitering around the Downey area near Rosecrans to Firestone. Some guy lives in a tent under Artesia Blvd.or the 91 FWY? The tunnels and Underpasses are fairly clean of debris and lit. Since it poured rain today ,I cant say for sure how it looks now.

Besides the few horses its wide open and I do pass riders in both directions so there usually is bike riders at various times of the day.
Old 12-07-18, 02:39 PM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
I didn't start that rumor about TH going both ways.....
Old 12-07-18, 11:55 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TJClay
I didn't start that rumor about TH going both ways.....

Old 01-14-19, 07:28 PM
DutchBoy2
Oldie but a Newbie

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount Series 9, Fuji D-6, KHS Flite Team, Medici Pro Strada, Trek Y-22, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Thanks @TGT1. Good info. The Greenway was really 'nice' but frustrating at the same time because compared to riding as I usually do (basically in/with traffic) it took ages due to pedestrian traffic and all of the cross streets which broke it up. I still enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't ride it regularly.

I'm looking forward to doing the SGRT from end to end and getting to know it. Most of my LA riding has been in the hills between The Valley and Malibu. I'm just getting to know the Hacienda Heights / Whittier area. I was really disappointed to learn that the trail which looks so good online (the Schabarum-Skyline Trail) is closed in so many places. (why why WHY?) I would love to ride that trail north to the mountains, especially since it has fantastic tunnels underneath the major obstacles (Colima Rd. & the rail roads for example). I haven't been able to find any info on these closures by emailing the county or by searching for alerts on county websites.

Thanks for the tips (and any others you may have) on good rides or shortcuts in the area. Much appreciated!

Funny about the bum-holes in the fence. I noticed that as well.
You can stay on the SGRT beyond the dams, Whittier Narrows and Santa Fe, to Hwy 39 and into Azusa Canyon. From there you can go up to Crystal Lake, or go to East Fork and up the backside of GMR. At the junction of GMR and the Ridge Road, you can go across to Baldy Village and up to the ski lifts or down the front side of GMR and across Sierra Madre back to SGRT. There are lots of opportunities for climbing mountains at the north end of the trail, it just depends upon what your legs and lungs will permit! :-)
Old 06-05-19, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...ride this trail often, never been harassed by transients but was chased by their dogs once after crossing the street from the dam. (area where most riders rest and chat) Plenty of solo riders and groups on the trail at different time of the day, I would say it's fairly safe, even under the bridges!
Old 06-06-19, 03:06 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Two weeks ago Sunday about noon there was a madman (probably a paranoid schizophrenic off his meds) yelling at everyone at the shady spot across from the dam.

Aliens were out to get him, Beetlejuice was after him, etc.

Wandered off south still shouting at imaginary beings.

Dude could have been dangerous one on one if he hallucinated that you were Beetlejuice.

That was odd also in that the most dysfunctional tend to gravitate towards the beach, and not get that far north on the trail.

There's a large scattered bum camp north of the 210 in the bushes since some SJWs feed them every day at Lario Park. They have no idea what kind of potential disaster they are enabling!

That camp will be self limiting since once things dry out one of them will burn the place out.
Happens almost every year.

Just hope it doesn't spread to Duarte and Bradbury like it did a few years ago.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 06-11-19, 06:37 PM
toegnix

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TGT1
There's a large scattered bum camp north of the 210 in the bushes since some SJWs feed them every day at Lario Park. They have no idea what kind of potential disaster they are enabling!
The enabling of vagrant campsites along all of the rivertrails has increased except for SART, where it got so out of hand the pendulum was swung the other way and it is now better policed and enforced than elsewhere.

Anyhow, SGRT is still a good, safe ride almost every time during daylight hours. Just remember to keep your head up and keep moving.
Old 06-12-19, 07:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Yes, camps in the bushes on the SGRT around the 210/City of Hope dam area. More like condos now. Extends down to Whittier Narrows along the Rio Hondo trail .... they are down in the bushes and have had some fires get out of control there.
At times I can smell a strong odor of model airplane glue.
Old 06-13-19, 12:58 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by trailangel
Yes, camps in the bushes on the SGRT around the 210/City of Hope dam area. More like condos now. Extends down to Whittier Narrows along the Rio Hondo trail .... they are down in the bushes and have had some fires get out of control there.
At times I can smell a strong odor of model airplane glue.
Last Sunday there were county removal notices at the camp under the 10 freeway and the Valley Blvd bunch seems to have been evicted.

There was also a crazy sitting cross legged staring at his phone in the Whitter Blvd. tunnel right where it transitions to dark on the north side.

Good thing some riders headed north gave me a heads up. Would have never seen him and run him over if they hadn't.
Old 06-13-19, 07:25 PM
trailangel

I've seen that and it boggles my mind... Homeless people with cellphones!.. WTF
Old 06-14-19, 10:16 AM
Unapomer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I've seen that and it boggles my mind... Homeless people with cellphones!.. WTF
Tell me you haven't heard of the "Obama Phone"? It's a federal program administered by the states to give phones to those in need.
https://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/basics/qualify
I myself have a nice smartphone provided by my tax paying fellow cyclists, and THANKS, I appreciate it!!
Old 06-14-19, 11:33 AM
trailangel

Where is the "dislike" button?
WTF, I haven't heard about this.... free cell phones for homeless crackheads.
Old 06-18-19, 02:11 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Unapomer
Tell me you haven't heard of the "Obama Phone"? It's a federal program administered by the states to give phones to those in need.
https://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/basics/qualify
I myself have a nice smartphone provided by my tax paying fellow cyclists, and THANKS, I appreciate it!!
No, the Obama administration did not start the free phone thing. Much like the Affordable Care Act is NOT actually ObamaCare. Sigh.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/phone-home/
  • "The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration."
Also: "The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers"

Maybe get the facts? Here is the site: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/...communications

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 06-18-19 at 02:14 PM.
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 06-18-19, 03:40 PM
Unapomer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
No, the Obama administration did not start the free phone thing. Much like the Affordable Care Act is NOT actually ObamaCare. Sigh.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/phone-home/
  • "The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration."
Also: "The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers"

Maybe get the facts? Here is the site: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/...communications
I stand corrected!
Thanks Beachgrad05 for stating the facts and providing the links to back them up.

I don't feel so guilty now knowing that my fellow tax paying cyclists are not responsible for the free smartphone in my pocket. The term "Obama Phone" is what most of the homeless I've come in contact with call their phones. I used to tell people that Jerry Brown gave it to me as his last act as governor, but the term "Obama Phone" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Last edited by Unapomer; 06-18-19 at 03:44 PM. Reason: grammatical
Old 06-23-19, 09:31 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
Last Sunday there were county removal notices at the camp under the 10 freeway and the Valley Blvd bunch seems to have been evicted.

There was also a crazy sitting cross legged staring at his phone in the Whitter Blvd. tunnel right where it transitions to dark on the north side.

Good thing some riders headed north gave me a heads up. Would have never seen him and run him over if they hadn't.
Yes I was there when the guy was in the tunnel. A few riders gae me the heads up so I slowed down to avoid him.
Old 06-25-19, 08:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
rode it today from encanto park south to trail's end at seal beach. 34.75 miles. not really any sketchoids on the path but plenty of
camps visible along the way. pavement is still kinda uniformly sucky south of the santa fe dam. traffic pretty light until about 10 miles north
from seal beach end. still handy and essential but it's not easy to love.
Old 08-20-19, 04:00 PM
mr335

Bikes: GIANT DEFI ADV GIANT SCR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
San Gabriel is it safe to Ride

Sunday the 18th @ 8:17 AM College Park West: There is no Trail Etiquette on the San Gabriel River " making riding on it unsafe , people need to be reminded that when passing the lead rider not the rider 5 guys back to give notice .I,m moving along @ 20 mph when suddenly 4 guys pass dong 26 mph or better , the 5th or 6th guy yells " on your left , the next dozen or so are riding tandem bumping me as on coming traffic are scrambling to get out of the way , now i look and were approaching College park West moving southbound the trail drops 20ft to the right then left under the freeway its dark you can see day light but all i see is back wheels in the air and the dozen riders that passed me moving 26 mph or better crash into on coming traffic , people are hurt , hurt bad once again trail Etiquette , I see the Lead rider of this group an 5 or 6 guys riding up the embankment on the other side of the tunnel , total disregard for other cyclist , The San Gabriel River Trail is Unsafe watch out for groups of knuckle heads racing on the San Gabriel River Trail
Old 08-20-19, 04:38 PM
trailangel

Too much speed and crossing the line. It is not a race track. I have seen asian group with a tandem going fast, but they were in check.... calling out riders (me) coming in the opposite direction.
Old 08-20-19, 04:42 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by mr335
Sunday the 18th @ 8:17 AM College Park West: There is no Trail Etiquette on the San Gabriel River " making riding on it unsafe , people need to be reminded that when passing the lead rider not the rider 5 guys back to give notice .I,m moving along @ 20 mph when suddenly 4 guys pass dong 26 mph or better , the 5th or 6th guy yells " on your left , the next dozen or so are riding tandem bumping me as on coming traffic are scrambling to get out of the way , now i look and were approaching College park West moving southbound the trail drops 20ft to the right then left under the freeway its dark you can see day light but all i see is back wheels in the air and the dozen riders that passed me moving 26 mph or better crash into on coming traffic , people are hurt , hurt bad once again trail Etiquette , I see the Lead rider of this group an 5 or 6 guys riding up the embankment on the other side of the tunnel , total disregard for other cyclist , The San Gabriel River Trail is Unsafe watch out for groups of knuckle heads racing on the San Gabriel River Trail
The trail isn't dangerous, there are only a half dozen blind spots in the entire length. Those blind spots for some reason are where every large group calls a halt?

The clubs that use it as their private race track are. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I've witnessed several close calls under the 210.

A few years ago one of them ran my wife into the rocks at the nature center north of Santa Fe dam and broke her arm.

Then there are the solo Stravidiots that try to carry speed thru the blind spots, and the parallel riding conversationalists that drift into the opposite lane.

Last edited by TGT1; 08-20-19 at 04:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.