Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic/Vintage rides:

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic/Vintage rides:

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 02:32 PM
christiank

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
My 1986 Raleigh USA Grand Prix outfitted with full Campagnolo Triomphe grouppo, Mavic G 40 rims, NOS Silca pump, and Brooks Professional saddle:

100% vintage no matter how you look at it.

-Kurt
No Triomphe pedals? Are those MTB pedals?
Old 11-12-06, 09:39 PM
scott_u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My small collection -

- '84 Trek 760 - I purchased the frame new this year from a bike shop that was closing down. It had been hanging on a wall there for over 20 years. They had two identical 58cm frames. I wish now that I had grabbed both of them.

- '72 Schwinn Super Sport - Found it for $2 at a garage sale while on a morning ride. It was a mess. I cleaned it up, threw on some new wheels and made it a single speed. It's pretty light without all the chromed steel hanging all over it. I cleaned and kept all of the pieces (minus the wheels) in case I ever decide to put it back together.

- '87 Schwinn World Sport - I've had this bike since it was new. I keep it inside and never ride it in the rain. I recently dismantled it and re-lubed all the important parts.

Enjoy,
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek.jpg (95.1 KB, 136 views)
schwinn_super_sport.jpg (97.7 KB, 112 views)
schwinn_world_sport.jpg (99.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-12-06, 10:54 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Here's how the Motobecane Champion Team I scored in July came out. More pics at the link in my sig. More to be put up later. Batteries died on the camera and I had none charged.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 11-22-06 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 06:54 AM
peterbarson
hobby-ist

Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Schwinn LeTour, Jamis Crosscountry, Litespeed Saber,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott_u
My small collection -

- '84 Trek 760 - I purchased the frame new this year from a bike shop that was closing down. It had been hanging on a wall there for over 20 years. They had two identical 58cm frames. I wish now that I had grabbed both of them.

- '72 Schwinn Super Sport - Found it for $2 at a garage sale while on a morning ride. It was a mess. I cleaned it up, threw on some new wheels and made it a single speed. It's pretty light without all the chromed steel hanging all over it. I cleaned and kept all of the pieces (minus the wheels) in case I ever decide to put it back together.

- '87 Schwinn World Sport - I've had this bike since it was new. I keep it inside and never ride it in the rain. I recently dismantled it and re-lubed all the important parts.

Enjoy,
Scott
no need to protect the WprldSport, mine loves riding in the rain.
Old 11-13-06, 02:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
An 85 World Sport was my college bike. That baby was rode hard and put up wet. I certainly miss it. Yours is very nice too.

And that Trek is gorgeous.
Old 11-13-06, 03:36 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scott_u
My small collection -

Enjoy,
Scott

Scott,

The Trek is beautiful! The color and the decals do not look stock though. Did you repaint it?
Old 11-13-06, 09:04 PM
scott_u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
Scott,

The Trek is beautiful! The color and the decals do not look stock though. Did you repaint it?
Nope...I wondered about the decals too. I'm not sure what the story is, but those two frames were definitely new old stock. They had Trek sizing decals and chain stay protectors. I thought perhaps they might have been a special order that no one picked up.

I'll take some closeups of the Trek and post. While I'm at it, I'll double check the serial number as well.

Scott
Old 11-15-06, 12:49 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My recently completed 1988 Pinarello Montello. Fully chromed frame with custom etched logos and C-Record build.

Old 11-15-06, 08:04 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
My recently completed 1988 Pinarello Montello. Fully chromed frame with custom etched logos and C-Record build.
My eyes, my eyes!!!

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-15-06, 08:36 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
My eyes, my eyes!!!
Oh yeah, I know. Here's why I keep it inside.

Old 11-17-06, 02:36 AM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jerry, you win a gold medal for restoration, and quality of presentation on the Pinarello.

Cheers 55/Rad.

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 11-17-06, 06:38 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad

Rad, I just drooled all over my keyboard here! Absolutely stunning bike!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-17-06, 07:38 PM
Fast Eddie
gravity speed freek

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

that is the best lookin road bike i have ever seen, i LOVE LOVE LOVE chrome!!!!! fast eddie outty
Old 11-17-06, 07:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by christiank
No Triomphe pedals? Are those MTB pedals?
That is the only darn part I haven't been able to get my hands on - and when they do pass my way, they're too expensive.

Those are MTB/hybrid pedals, and as I ride with leather dress shoes most of the time, I have to say they fit the bill rather well, if out of place.

I'd much rather have a pair of MKS Sylvan track pedals in place of the MTB pedals for looks, but center support of the MKS pedals is lacking in comparison to the MTB pedals, and as a consequence, the arch in my foot doesn't particularly enjoy it when I ride MKS pedals.

Neither do my feet thank me when I ride Shimano clipless pedals with leather dress shoes either - same problem as the MKS: Support at the edges, nothing in the center.

At some point, I do have to look after myself, you know

Take care,

-Kurt

Old 11-17-06, 07:48 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Most of my machines, excluding one or two. Not the greatest photos, but they shows off the whole fleet pretty well.

-Kurt

Old 11-17-06, 10:55 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Is that a mini bike show or something or are they all yours? Do you have more pics of the bikes that are in the background area? Nice.
Old 11-17-06, 11:52 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Most of my machines, excluding one or two. Not the greatest photos, but they shows off the whole fleet pretty well.

-Kurt
163rd Street Mall? Wait...I think your notes say Coral Ridge...where was the show, Kurt? Your collection is awesome!
Old 11-18-06, 12:00 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Is that a mini bike show or something or are they all yours? Do you have more pics of the bikes that are in the background area? Nice.
Bike show, the Schwinn Stingray bikes past the seating bench are not mine. Coral Ridge Mall.

Pics are in the "Fort Lauderdale Show Pictures" thread - page #2 on C&V at present.

Originally Posted by Serendipper
163rd Street Mall? Wait...I think your notes say Coral Ridge...where was the show, Kurt? Your collection is awesome!
Coral Ridge, Nov. 12th. Thanks!

-Kurt

Old 11-18-06, 03:27 AM
jet sanchEz

I don't know too much about Razesa except that they were contracted to produce frames by Zues. They were towards the higher end of their line. The tubing is Columbus SLX and I am very happy with the ride, it is very tight geometry and the frame is nice and rigid and I am amazed at how quick this thing is. The drive train is Shimano 600, the wheels are Shimano 105 hubs laced to Wolber GTX hard anodized box rims (nice rims, I don't know much about them either), the brakes are Suntour Cyclone and the bar is a Cinelli Campione Del Mondo and the stem is just some generic brand. Forgive the dirt, I just got it a day ago and haven't had time to clean it, I've been too busy riding it

Old 11-19-06, 11:48 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Whether or not this counts as a classic/vintage I'm not sure, but here's my Raleigh Super Course 4: a 1971 Raleigh Super Course frameset resprayed/redecaled and set up as a lightweight Raleigh Sports: 700c wheels, rear Sturmey Archer FW 4-speed hub, Dia Compe 750 centerpull brakes, Shimano 600 crankset, alloy North roads bars. I would have liked to put 32mm tires on it, but 28mm Paselas was all I had. The Brooks Conquest saddle was a cheap eBay find, probably because the metal cage was ugly yellow--easily solved with some flat black Rust-oleum. It's about 25 lbs and very quick.

Neal

Old 11-19-06, 01:05 PM
jet sanchEz

Wow, it looks great. What painting method did you use, that looks factory to me. Nice.
Old 11-19-06, 02:05 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Wow, it looks great. What painting method did you use, that looks factory to me. Nice.
Thanks! However, I saw this morning that I didn't spray the backside of the fork very well. Bummer. My process followed many of the painting threads on BF, particularly the advice offered by Dr. Deltron (thanks, Dr. D!). 1) I stripped to bare metal primarily with a citrus-based stripper and various grades emory cloth (took lots of applications/sanding). 2) I etched with a phosphoric acid-based solution that I bought at Home Depot. 3) I primed with one coat of annoyingly drippy Rustoleum primer. 4) I sanded the primer drips smooth w/ fine emory paper, a 320 grit sanding block, and 1500 grit wet/dry paper. I also filled the dent in the frame with bondo at this point and sanded smooth. 5) I sprayed three or four coats of Rust-Oleum metallic blue (from Home Depot). 6) I sprayed one coat of clear coat, then applied decals, then three more coats of clear. 7) I hung the frame for about 10 days before assembly (though it hung much longer after initial assembly while I waited for the fenders to arrive and then painted them). That blue color has a nice metal flake to it, but by no means is it as good quality as professional-grade stuff. Good enough for this project, however.

Neal
Old 11-22-06, 01:56 AM
Wotan
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Whether or not this counts as a classic/vintage I'm not sure, but here's my Raleigh Super Course 4

It's certainly a classic to my eyes!!!! I love it!!!!
Old 11-23-06, 04:14 AM
goldgrillzz@gma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, I was cleaning out my uncles old garage and came across two bikes, one says "stella azzure"? it has mostly campagnolo parts which my friend says are good quality. The other is a womens bianchi, both are in pretty good shape but were dissasembled for storage, and I can't find some parts, mainly to connect the brakes and tires??. My uncle moved in about 1989, so they are probably from that era. My brother wanted to throw them out with the rest of the stuff, but I decided to keep them and see if they would be worth the time and money to try and restore them. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I would love to take up biking as a hobby but up to now I've only owned a huffy and an old mountain bike. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time.
Old 11-23-06, 08:20 AM
jet sanchEz

Do you have any pics? The "stella azzure" is a men's bike? No other markings? Look for a sticker that says "Columbus" on it, that might give us an idea of the year or the vintage of the bikes. Any free bike is worth your time and it sounds like you might have some nice rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.