Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 06:53 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to convenient store to get two 12 packs of soda. Learned that one bungee cord is not enough. Next time I'll bring two.
Old 07-16-08, 08:27 PM
genel

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 0, Rivendell- Sam Hillborne, Montague folding bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot today, almost 90 on ride home with head wind. Heavy traffic long backups at lights, the driver of a pick up saw me in his mirror and swung in front of me as I started to pass him on the shoulder. Very intentional.
Old 07-16-08, 08:43 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A co-worker and I went to play tennis and then badminton, than he drove me to the train station and I pulled my bike out of the trunk. I haven't played tennis in years, and it was quite the workout. People on the train were sidling away from me. Those silly, touchy commuters.

My bands:
Old 07-16-08, 08:57 PM
ronstar

Bikes: 2 Trek hybrids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot on the way home. I had to dump water on my head to keep cool.
Old 07-16-08, 09:23 PM
robinthehippie
that strange guy

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Nishiki Century (frame only for now), Costco mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have been overdoing it the last few days. I still made pretty good time on the way in but felt so much worse than when I left, my legs hurt, my lungs hurt, my head hurt, and I was super cranky. Either I'm getting sick (not feeling quite like that though) or I'm just tired from the heat, my new day shift, and the fact that I haven't taken a day off my bike in two weeks.

Got a ride home, stopped for dinner. I'll take tomorrow off.
Old 07-16-08, 09:31 PM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
16.5 miles this morning at 91 degrees. Took 1hr20min. The ride home at 107 degrees took 1hr30min, for a total distance today of 33.1 miles. I made an "oops" on my route and had to backtrack a little. It was pretty damn hot, but I'm used to it. Still went through ~70oz of water on the way home and sweat like crazy! Met a newbie on his first commute this morning and gave him some pointers. Hopefully I'll see him tomorrow just to make sure he survived!
Old 07-16-08, 10:37 PM
sirpablo

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG410
16.5 miles this morning at 91 degrees. Took 1hr20min. The ride home at 107 degrees took 1hr30min, for a total distance today of 33.1 miles. I made an "oops" on my route and had to backtrack a little. It was pretty damn hot, but I'm used to it. Still went through ~70oz of water on the way home and sweat like crazy! Met a newbie on his first commute this morning and gave him some pointers. Hopefully I'll see him tomorrow just to make sure he survived!
Sup Arizona buddy. What route are you taking and when do you bike it? I live near Baseline/Stapley and bike to Priest/Washington - majority of route is on Main then up Mill. My shift is highly irregular, so some times I work days, or evenings, of 3rd shift any day of the week. Joy.
Old 07-16-08, 10:54 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back home, tried not to exert myself too much.

16 mile ride post commute.

total = 7+7+16 = 40 miles!
Old 07-17-08, 02:18 AM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
Back home, tried not to exert myself too much.

16 mile ride post commute.

total = 7+7+16 = 40 miles!
Yeah, get some rest. You should be able to do the math better tomorrow.
Old 07-17-08, 05:28 AM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AM conditions still pretty good around here--though humidity and air quality predictions are fairly dire for the afternoon (as they are for much of the northeastern quarter of the country).

Been dragging all week, and this morning was no exception. Pushed pretty hard last week, and that with still continuing fiddling with the bike setup (i.e., "ugh, feels a little weird this morning") haven't let me get recovered. Could also be one of those low points on the curve of gradually rising strength and endurance (sounds good anyway ).

Short version: Nice ride this morning.
Old 07-17-08, 05:29 AM
Big Ron
Rim crusher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was having a steller ride in this AM, nice and cool, light traffic, first ride in several days, averaging 18.2mph, when all of a sudden "POP". Spoke busted. I stopped and got off the bike to check it out and was surprised to find the busted spoke was on the front rim. I've busted many, many rear spokes, but don't believe I've ever broken one on the front. I'll take it a little easier on the way home, and swing by the LBS. Hopefully they will perform an emergency spoke repair and truing for me.
Old 07-17-08, 05:31 AM
rlrct

Bikes: Trek XO1 (Commuter), Trek Madone 6.5, older Trek 850 hardtail MTB, crashed Kestrel 200SCi I can't toss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning went better than I thought. I did 36 miles last night as part of a group ride. This morning was 68 degrees and a little more humid than earlier in the week, but not too bad yet. I pushed a bit and rode faster than I would have expected. The ride home is going to suck - it'll be hot and sticky - 90 degrees and humid.
Old 07-17-08, 06:24 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride home yesterday. I caught some guy with an electric motor on a MTB-type bike. Either he wasn't running the motor, or the motor wasn't set at 400W. I bet the motor weighed more than his bike.

This morning I dr*ve to work. Might need to leave on a moment's notice and get home fast. I haven't dr*v*n to work since March, and it really makes me appreciate bicycle commuting. Lots of scooters out now, and some of them are going 5MPH or more under the speed limit and nobody wants to pass them.

One dolt was "taking the lane" doing 30 on a 50MPH road with super-wide shoulders. Not so bright. Then some roadie ran a red light in front of me and tried to sprint to match traffic speed (25-30MPH). I shook my head in dismay as I passed him. If I was one of those bicycles-don't-belong-on-the-road types, he would have been quite a target for some road rage.
Old 07-17-08, 06:27 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't cycle today. I wanted to. But for some reason my girlfriend didn't want me to cycle. She worked a half hour later than me today and said she'd drive me. I told her I could drive myself, I don't cycle cause I can't drive. I cycle because I like to. But she was so adamant about driving me. Last night she asked if I wanted a ride. I was sore from Kung Fu tuesday night, and was really tired. I told her I'd let her know in the morning, but I'd likely shower.

When I woke up, the first thing she asked was if I wanted to be driven, I said I'll just ride. But she kept asking and then just got up and got in the shower at the same time I would normally. This made it infeasible to get to work on time via cycle.

I didn't understand why she wanted to carpool so much. So I asked her. She said that she really wanted to cycle, and she doesn't like driving. But she doesn't because her bike isn't finished being built yet, and she feels bad for borrowing her brothers bike so much, and it's super highly geared, so it's hard on the knees, and simply hard to get up hills. She didn't say it, but I assume she just didn't want me to cycle because she couldn't and it made her feel like she was missing out. She said she liked car pooling. It might have been because she doesn't like driving alone everyday.

Anyway. I really wanted to cycle, and I was a bit perturbed that she sabotaged my ride this morning. But it's only one day, and I got to spend some time in the morning with her, so it's not all bad.

I just feel ****ty taking a car to work. I mean, My commute is only 8 miles one way. It seems silly, and stupid, to get in a two ton vehicle drive at 70 mph, and pump toxic gases into the air, just to save 10 minutes of commute time. When I could get on a bike, leave 10 minutes earlier, get fresh air, get exercise, get endorphins(sp?) , and have and have an enjoyable start to my morning. When I drive, it' just waiting for the bad part of the day to start (work), when I cycle, it's starting the day with sometime fun, and it cheers me up for the rest of the day.

This is why I love cycle commuting. I just wish my girlfriend would have let me cycle. It's not all bad. I was able to get a coffee and a muffin, and such. But it would have been nice to cycle. Plus, whenever I am feeling down at work, I just go downstairs, stare longingly at my bike and feel better.
Old 07-17-08, 06:42 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtjim
Nice ride home yesterday. I caught some guy with an electric motor on a MTB-type bike. Either he wasn't running the motor, or the motor wasn't set at 400W. I bet the motor weighed more than his bike.

This morning I dr*ve to work. Might need to leave on a moment's notice and get home fast. I haven't dr*v*n to work since March, and it really makes me appreciate bicycle commuting.
Lots of scooters out now, and some of them are going 5MPH or more under the speed limit and nobody wants to pass them.

One dolt was "taking the lane" doing 30 on a 50MPH road with super-wide shoulders. Not so bright. Then some roadie ran a red light in front of me and tried to sprint to match traffic speed (25-30MPH). I shook my head in dismay as I passed him. If I was one of those bicycles-don't-belong-on-the-road types, he would have been quite a target for some road rage.

You haven't driven in how long? 'Cause you sure do complain like a true motorist
Old 07-17-08, 06:59 AM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride in was alright. Stayed at my girlfriend's place so it was a really short 3 mile commute which was actually good. Didn't get enough sleep last night so I had that tired leg feeling where you could swear you're riding with the brakes applied. By the time I fully wake up in the afternoon I should be feeling alot better though
Old 07-17-08, 07:45 AM
jag6780
Bronx <-> Midtown Commute

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Commute - not so great...

I am commuting from Riverdale, NY to midtown Manhattan (about 12.5 miles along the Henry Hudson Greenway).

Anyway, i have ridden the route on the weekend, but this was my first commute, so naturally it didn't go very well. About 3.25 miles into the trip i rode over (with no chance to avoid) a shimmering patch of glass. I figured my road tires with flack jacket kevlar would protect me...nope. 8 seconds later, the dreaded "hissssss." So this is my first flat on this bike, my first flat in 10 years (that's how long it's been since i rode a bike), and my first time caught without a patch or spare tube.

Luckily, i was only a mile walk (up a very steep hill) to the A express subway, so i still got to work on time.

Bottom line: I'm going straight to the shop during lunch for a repair and all the necessary equipment to make sure i don't get stuck like a fool.
Old 07-17-08, 07:52 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
A bit warm, but very nice.
Old 07-17-08, 07:52 AM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sluggishness continues. It was nice riding weather this morning, but the next couple of days are going to be HHH-Hazy Hot and Humid, so it could get messy.

I guess one good this is that even when I feel completely drained of energy, I can still make the commute.
Old 07-17-08, 07:57 AM
srp

Bikes: Trek 930, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride today. Nothing special but real muggy. Got stuck in a one lane construction zone with nowhere else to go but the lane. Some girl thought that honking her horn and keeping it on for a minute or two would make me go faster. I thought taking the lane and going slower might be a better option.

The cool thing is that I found another commuter at the office. Two out of 70. He comes from a different direction and has the self proclaimed "Urban Assault Bike."

I know the guy but didn't know he was a rider so we had a good bike talk while we were doing the cool down.
Old 07-17-08, 08:00 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This morning it was sunny, warm (74°F) and humid (901%), which meant I was sweating like a w****e in church. Realized that while my GripShift said "2", the chain was actually on the third cog; I should correct that, but since it gave me a good ride time, I'm almost tempted not to. No problems to speak of, but I do have some new threads for my head today. That should help keep the sweat out of my eyes.
Old 07-17-08, 08:01 AM
jhenson

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride in today as it was not too hot or humid. I was also able to hit 32mph with much less trouble than last week. Ah progress, gotta love it .
Old 07-17-08, 08:02 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jag6780
I am commuting from Riverdale, NY to midtown Manhattan (about 12.5 miles along the Henry Hudson Greenway).

Anyway, i have ridden the route on the weekend, but this was my first commute, so naturally it didn't go very well. About 3.25 miles into the trip i rode over (with no chance to avoid) a shimmering patch of glass. I figured my road tires with flack jacket kevlar would protect me...nope. 8 seconds later, the dreaded "hissssss." So this is my first flat on this bike, my first flat in 10 years (that's how long it's been since i rode a bike), and my first time caught without a patch or spare tube.

Luckily, i was only a mile walk (up a very steep hill) to the A express subway, so i still got to work on time.

Bottom line: I'm going straight to the shop during lunch for a repair and all the necessary equipment to make sure i don't get stuck like a fool.
That's unfortunate! I got my first "commute" flat yesterday, I had gotten slow leak flats from commuting, but didn't notice them until the next time I went to ride, which meant I could fix it at my leisure. When mine went flat on the way home it happened right in front of the bike store I go to, I was stopping there to ask about thumb shifters and when I got back on the bike the tire was flat. How convenient that it happened right there?!

I still had to change the tire with my stuff, but I was able to buy a new tube right there, and use the shop floor pumps instead of my hand pump. Lucky!
Old 07-17-08, 08:05 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jag6780
Argh. I commute from 177th to Wall Street, so your route is more or less mine, too. Where'd you catch the subway, 175th Street?
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 07-17-08, 08:21 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by pslotworks
The ride in the morning was good I actually took my time and just cruised in. It is amazing how quite the road is in the morning. The ride home was a little warm.

making, did you try to take bluff today?
No, I am going to try to get up early and ride it. I rode shelby again. I almost rode in the car with my wife today because my legs were kinda tired. After a cup of coffee I felt great so left late around 7 am. I will try it but I think you have the right idea, it has to be early. You ride home that way too in rush hour. How do you get around that construction accross from the Eiteljorg?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.