Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Cataract surgery, how soon to ride?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 08:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts

My ophthalmologist keeps hinting that I should have cataract surgery, and I finally decided he is right. How long did your doc want you to stay off the bike afterwards? I'm not sure about having both eyes done. I can see the cataract in my left eye, but it's not in the center of vision.
Old 10-05-18, 11:00 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
When I took my grandmother for her cataract surgery she bounced back pretty fast but she wasn’t a bike rider but was active.
Old 10-05-18, 11:56 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I had no restrictions after either of my cataract surgeries. I didn't do anything the day of the surgery except nap (my procedure was first thing in the morning). I didn't even have to wear an eye patch. This was in sharp contrast to what I remember about my father's cataract surgeries back in the early 1980's. He had all sorts of restrictions especially with bending.

ETA: I did have to stay out of the swimming pool just for 7 days.
Old 10-05-18, 12:22 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
I had no restrictions after either of my cataract surgeries. I didn't do anything the day of the surgery except nap (my procedure was first thing in the morning). I didn't even have to wear an eye patch. This was in sharp contrast to what I remember about my father's cataract surgeries back in the early 1980's. He had all sorts of restrictions especially with bending..
That's amazingly different from what I remember my parents going through, 20-25 years ago. Maybe I should get mine fixed before my ophthalmologist retires?
Old 10-05-18, 01:38 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Maybe I should get mine fixed before my ophthalmologist retires?
Yes, absolutely! One of the benefits of the surgery is just how vivid colors are now! I had my surgeries when I was 55*. I did not realize how yellowed the natural lens had become. My surgeries were a few months apart. It was obvious after the first surgery that our kitchen refrigerator was actually white when viewed with the corrected eye versus a cream color with the uncorrected eye.

*I was first alerted to the beginning of cataracts when I turned 53 by my eye doctor. Normally insurance will not cover the surgery until you are 65. Later than year I developed a hole in my macula that required emergency surgery. A common side effect of that surgery (viterous fluid is removed and a gas bubble is put in) was that it accelerated the cataract development. Thus insurance covered the cataract surgery. During that time, my other eye also got worse and I was able to get that eye fixed under my insurance.
Old 10-05-18, 07:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
that's interesting about the age restriction, I think ours covers it. I say that because someone younger than me at work had it done. Have to check though
Old 10-06-18, 02:13 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I had both mine done last year, because my vision was minus 23, and the spectacle option was no longer effective, paerticularly with the onset of cataracts. I'm 70; took a few week off gym HIIT cycling classes and treadmill sprinting. but gentle cycling was within scope immediately. Didn't want to undo the op's good work. Needed YAG just over a year later in one eye; the other will last a fair bit longer but will need this eventually. Well worth the bother.
Old 10-06-18, 02:20 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Originally Posted by peterws
Needed YAG just over a year later in one eye
What is YAG? I've heard of developing posterior capsular opacification (PCO) which can be treated in office with laster.