Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Stress & biking

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Stress & biking

Old 10-24-08, 08:26 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Stress & biking

My industry is cyclical, so bad economic news is a challenge. Last night I was at my LBS and one of the associates told me that today was his last day of employment. It's unfortunate that the people who offer solutions to our problems must suffer while bank & energy executives own multiple vacation homes.

During the last two weeks I've been budgeting for 2009. We are a smaller business and we will need to increase our market share to survive. Lower margins and stable sales volumes will be required.

Riding my bike helps me at times like this. I now have an hour or more daily that reduces stress, provides exercise and a degree of self sufficiency.

I'm even more committed to keep the routine strong. It beats the usual displays I see everyday including overeating, smoking & road rage.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-24-08, 09:24 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The fun part about riding is that I (almost never) have to search for a parking spot. And when I do, it's still never more than a minute on foot from the desired building. With a car, I never know if I'll find a spot on campus, and sometimes have to search multiple lots to find somewhere to drop off the car.
Old 10-24-08, 10:49 AM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Bikes: My own hand built frames

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quality of life is important. Cycling is probably the single biggest thing that improves my quality of life, and hopefully helps with quantity as well. Fitness, stress reduction/prevention, transportation, environmentally friendly, self sufficiency, saves money, and a whole slew of other benefits.
Old 10-24-08, 11:29 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
commuting is the best part of my day

Old 10-24-08, 11:31 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ One billion, riding keeps me level headed. All the other benefits are gravy. I've gotten rid of two cars, insurance, fuel costs, and now rent out one of my parking spots to local handyman in barter for his services.

Win win .
Old 10-24-08, 11:33 AM
Caleab

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdesjar
commuting is the best part of my day
I have to agree.
I totally look forward to it on both sides (coming in and going home).

Today I didn't ride and I feel like crap. All I want to do now is go home and ride... especially since I got my computer hooked up on the bike yesterday and it's evil.
Old 10-24-08, 11:35 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 - Ask my family. Let's just say they encourage me to ride.

I'd say the mental benefits of my daily commute are far more than the physical.
Old 10-24-08, 11:36 AM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look you seem like nice people and you bike commute so that's good but if riding your bike to work is the best paart of your day you need a new life. Just sayin'
Old 10-24-08, 11:39 AM
jpdesjar

you may be right, i got other things going on too but it seems the fun ends for eight hours while i am here at work so yes it's still the best part of my day

Old 10-24-08, 11:40 AM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was stressed out and depressed the other evening so I climbed on my bike and rode 5 miles (past liquor stores, auto body shops and bars) to Costco, loaded 2 panniers with groceries and rode home. No autumn leaves or riverside paths, but still I felt much better.
Old 10-24-08, 12:23 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
My industry is cyclical, so bad economic news is a challenge. Last night I was at my LBS and one of the associates told me that today was his last day of employment. It's unfortunate that the people who offer solutions to our problems must suffer while bank & energy executives own multiple vacation homes.

During the last two weeks I've been budgeting for 2009. We are a smaller business and we will need to increase our market share to survive. Lower margins and stable sales volumes will be required.

Riding my bike helps me at times like this. I now have an hour or more daily that reduces stress, provides exercise and a degree of self sufficiency.

I'm even more committed to keep the routine strong. It beats the usual displays I see everyday including overeating, smoking & road rage.

Michael
Actually while I find long bike rides stress relieving, I find commuting stressful. I find I often feel very frustrated by the commute home after dealing with motorists in dense traffic.
Old 10-24-08, 12:25 PM
jpdesjar

i find that to be the case sometimes too...sucks to get home and feel annoyed by drivers, i just shake it off

Old 10-24-08, 12:37 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Actually while I find long bike rides stress relieving, I find commuting stressful. I find I often feel very frustrated by the commute home after dealing with motorists in dense traffic.
I agree with the dealing with motorists observation. However, the air & exercise I get makes it much better than simply being stuck in my car.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-24-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 12:39 PM
jpdesjar

stressful biking is better than stressful driving

Old 10-24-08, 01:04 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word!!! Coming home from a sketchy bike ride home I'll merely need to chill for a bit or go rip a few heart attack effort round-the-block laps, whereas a stressful drive can ruin an evening.
Old 10-24-08, 01:07 PM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadSTPhilly
Look you seem like nice people and you bike commute so that's good but if riding your bike to work is the best paart of your day you need a new life. Just sayin'
I can't disagree with you. Cycling isn't the best part of my day. Cycling helps make the best parts of my day even better, and the bad parts of my day less bad. I have more energy when I ride, I eat healthier when I ride, I don't feel guilty indulging in unhealthy foods, I sleep better when I ride, stress rolls off my back, I don't get sick as much, if I start to get sick my body gets over it quicker, and on and on and on.
Old 10-24-08, 01:13 PM
jpdesjar

ok maybe i was being dramatic...biking to work in the morning is a great way to start a day and i agree with what a lot of people are saying here, benefits aplenty and like when i run it's easier to think through a problem or come up with new ideas

Old 10-24-08, 03:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
I'm not biking now - I'm doing other things but I look forward to those other things just like I looked forward to biking. I like crashing when I get home.
Old 10-24-08, 03:56 PM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I like crashing when I get home.
Better than crashing while you're riding.
Old 10-24-08, 08:53 PM
xinco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamD
I can't disagree with you. Cycling isn't the best part of my day. Cycling helps make the best parts of my day even better, and the bad parts of my day less bad. I have more energy when I ride, I eat healthier when I ride, I don't feel guilty indulging in unhealthy foods, I sleep better when I ride, stress rolls off my back, I don't get sick as much, if I start to get sick my body gets over it quicker, and on and on and on.
You nailed it. I'm not quite in shape yet to do my 13.5 mile each way (kinda hilly) commute everyday, but I want to get there. And the time commitment is hard, until I can get my speed up a bit more.
Old 10-25-08, 01:52 AM
joninkrakow

Bikes: '86 Koga Miyata Randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
While commuting by bike can be stressful to me, I find driving the car more so. Here's a shot I took this week--after picking up my daughters from activity classes. Now, _that's_ stressful driving!

I'll take my bike over that any day of the week! (especially Mondays and Fridays)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo_102008_003.jpg (56.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-25-08, 02:21 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Michael
It's better than Prozac.
Old 10-25-08, 02:28 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Says who? Sometimes, cycling is the purpose of life (which, for me, has an overriding goal of enjoyment). Just to get out there and ride, feel the sweat and the endorphins, feel the balance shifting as I turn and go over and around obstacles. Aaah.

Plus it just makes all the little crap easier to deal with. It actually helps me focus on the big picture overall--important stuff like "Am I helping people?", "Do I feel good?" and "What else do I want from life?"
Old 10-25-08, 06:24 AM
Bat22
Didn't make it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I just got over a draw bridge when it started to "draw".
All the outbound traffic stopped and I got 4 grace free miles on
a major artery that I would never think of using.
Sometimes it's the widdle things that make a good ride.
Old 10-25-08, 07:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
My industry is cyclical, so bad economic news is a challenge... Riding my bike helps me at times like this. I now have an hour or more daily that reduces stress, provides exercise and a degree of self sufficiency.

Originally Posted by AdamD
Quality of life is important. Cycling is probably the single biggest thing that improves my quality of life, and hopefully helps with quantity as well. Fitness, stress reduction/prevention, transportation, environmentally friendly, self sufficiency, saves money, and a whole slew of other benefits.
Originally Posted by recumelectric
Sometimes, cycling is the purpose of life (which, for me, has an overriding goal of enjoyment). Just to get out there and ride, feel the sweat and the endorphins, feel the balance shifting as I turn and go over and around obstacles. Aaah.
My most profound moment of the bike / stress-relief equation came when I was eating lunch with two other doctors. We started talking about the vicissitudes of life, e.g. sudden death, trivial symptoms that are harbingers of deadly diseases, etc. We came around to that mundane conclusion that you have to live life to the fullest, day by day.

As we were leaving, one colleague, a marathon runner, said "Well, any day that has a run in it is a good day for me." It sudenly clicked for me as a bicyclist that any day that had a ride in it is, for me, a good day. Though there are no guaranties in life, investment in cycling to relieve stress, even just to ward off the vagaries of health is a good deal.

Sometime later I confided my conclusion to a secretary that bicycling is a key to a happy life, to which she replied "That's so stupid." To each his or her own. I really like that secretary, but I do refer to her as the Joan Rivers of our Department ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.