Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

howdy, y'all from GA

Old 02-04-09, 11:02 AM
abutterbean

Bikes: fuji L700 hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
howdy, y'all from GA

hello--i'm kara. just shouting out to my fellow southeastern folk. i'm a new kid on the block just hangin' tough. anyway...once it's tuned up, i'll be riding a fuji L700 that's a boy's bike and is a little too big for me that probably cost a little bit more than it should, but i will be learning to love it, anyway! anyone want to weigh in and provide some feedback about fujis---oh and whether or not a too-big frame's a problem if the seat adjusts and you can touch down adequately?
-k
Old 02-04-09, 03:06 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome again Kara.
Got pics of your bike or are you waiting until you "girl it up" before posting a pic?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-04-09, 04:50 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding your bike sizing: go to a ride that your local bike club puts on (in Savannah – don’t remember the name of the club) and ask some people. You could also go to a bike shop. Have them look at you on the bike. Fit is important for comfort and even safety and it isn’t enough to just be able to touch the ground.

Is your username a reference to the old B-52s song?
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 02-04-09, 09:26 PM
abutterbean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
amazing!

do you realize that i've had this email addy (abutterbean@yahoo.com) for years & always use this as my user name for various online purposes and your the FIRST person to catch that?!
my hero!
Old 02-04-09, 11:06 PM
Porter20

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9; Madone 5.1; Trek 6500 & Trek 1500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.net!! No doubt you will find this site helpful & interesting. Welcome to the wonderful world of bike riding! Each person's bike & fit is a little bit different; but I am sure you will be fine. Good advice from above to have some see you on your bike in person to help you with your fit. The other thing is you body will tell you had good you fit is based on pains you feel around your body.
Old 02-05-09, 08:33 AM
gapowermike

Bikes: Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they are the Coastal Bike Touring Club. I just moved from Savannah to Atlanta. Be very careful down there if you ride on Hwy 80 into town. We had 2 cyclists killed on it last year and I'm not sure they ever caught the guy who hit them. Riding on Tybee should be fine, but you'll tire of the same roads.

Welcome to the club....

Michael
Old 02-23-09, 08:27 PM
moneal

Bikes: Trek Lime, Cayne Rambler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Kara!

I had a Fuji years ago and loved it! If the frame is too big it might bother you, but hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. I hope you love riding... it's so much fun.
Old 03-02-09, 11:02 AM
abutterbean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, Michael--

i'm so sorry to hear about what happened to those cyclists. sadly, i'm not terribly surprised to hear about that, either. i've noticed some really crazy driving here. i can't get used to it, either. an inordinate amount of roads around here have lanes that run out and drivers have to merge intelligently. well...that's rarely the case. more likely, i see two cars playing chicken w/each other...one of which would've just blown me off the road in order to get ahead of the other car. just two days ago, i was driving along the stretch through the estuary and witnessed two cars ahead of me cross the double line in order to pass a car that was actually going 60. i should add that a passing lane was coming up if they'd waited about 4 minutes. i was infuriated. in addition to putting human lives at risk, these drivers seem to forget the myriad examples of wildlife in this area, as well.
i've seen two memorial wreaths along the stretch. is this where the accident (for want of a better term) happened?
and, i'm waayyy to wussy to ride my bike past the island--at least for now--simply b/c of the way the roads are designed and the way the people around here drive.

but, i actually traded my fuji in for a little green trek which fits me perfectly and i love riding it around here and it's plenty of exercise, beauty and adventure for me...for now.
take care!
kara
Old 03-02-09, 06:47 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Unless you want to pack on some pounds stay away from The Breakfast Club.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff