Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 11:16 AM
yossia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own 2012 DS8.5. The crankset is Shimano FC-M431 48/36/26 (ALVIO) 9sp. The 48T outer ring is ts not true (due to small accident). It is difficult to find a replacement ring, but possible. I am thinking about replacing the whole crankset.
My questions are:
1. Recommendations for crankset? May be better (lighter).
2. Do I have to replace the bottom bracket. I think that mine is BB-UN26 Not Hollowtec.

I guess I can change to Shimano Alvio M4000, But I'll have to change the BB and I am not sure if the frame will fit.
Old 06-13-18, 01:45 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
It sounds like you currently have a square taper bottom bracket, which threads into the frame. There are other bottom bracket specifications that use those same threads (like Hollowtech and others), but few of us are probably experts on it. The bike mechanics over in https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/ may be able to provide more targeted recommendations.
Old 06-15-18, 07:36 PM
shakyfromwakey

Bikes: Trek 8.5ds 2015, Trek Navigatir 300 (2006)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ready for summer with an xt drivetrain and dt swiss e1700 wheels for my 8.5 2015
Old 06-15-18, 08:33 PM
reedpgh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would this bike be good for college in pittsburgh? I plan on riding it as a commuter but I want to be able to switch the tires out and ride some mtb trails. Would it hold up? Right now I'm looking at the 2019 ds 1
Old 06-17-18, 11:09 PM
yossia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JG1967
Nice! I did something similar with my 12 8.5 DS except I kept the stock wheels.

Shimano SLX Crank

Shimano XT Front Derailure

Shimano XT Shadow Plus Rear Derailure

Shimano SLX Rear Cassette

Shimano SLX Chain

Shimano XT shifters

Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Riser Handlebar

Bontrager XXX 31.8 Stem

Bontrager Paradigm Race Saddle

FSA K-Force Offset Seat Post

Trek Crossrip Carbon Fork

Michelin Pilot Sport Tires - 700X25

Shimano MX80 Saint Flat Pedals

Hi
I wish to upgrade the FD on my DS8.5. Am I correct that I need the type with the High Clamp (Top pull or Dual Pull)? is there enough room on the tube between the BB and the lower boss of the water bottle?
Old 06-18-18, 12:57 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by shakyfromwakey
ready for summer with an xt drivetrain and dt swiss e1700 wheels for my 8.5 2015
What XT model crank do you have on your bike?

With the benefit of hindsight I realise now that I made a mistake in not buying the 2015 DS 8.5.

I held off at the time due to not liking the crank on it, but I should have just upgraded that crank and a few other things.

That colour scheme is one of the best I have seen on a hybrid.
Old 06-18-18, 07:07 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by reedpgh
Would this bike be good for college in pittsburgh? I plan on riding it as a commuter but I want to be able to switch the tires out and ride some mtb trails. Would it hold up? Right now I'm looking at the 2019 ds 1
I think the factor that would hold me back on a brand new bike for college as the act of locking it up due to threat of theft. You'll invariably get a lot of scratches on the paint from bike racks and such. And Pittsburgh weather won't be friendly to it, either (y'ins get snow and all!). I think if I were buying a bike for college use (commuting, etc), I'd find a used bike on Craigslist. If you really want disc brakes for all-weather conditions, you do have used options:

Here's a Gary Fisher: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bi...617274181.html

Less expensive Diamondback: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bi...608478874.html

Even less expensive Mongoose: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bi...606083557.html

Don't get me wrong -- there's nothing wrong with a new DS -- it's just a lot of money to spend on a bike that you'll have locked up out in the weather.
Old 06-18-18, 10:04 AM
shakyfromwakey

Bikes: Trek 8.5ds 2015, Trek Navigatir 300 (2006)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the crankset is SHIMANO Deore XT FC-T781 Hollowtech II with I think 44-32-22 rings had this on my fx3 but after putting bontrager race wheels on the fx3 was much faster making the gearing a bit low so put the xt-t8000 groupset on the fx3
Old 06-18-18, 10:37 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That colour scheme is one of the best I have seen on a hybrid.
Trek used to have some downright attractive paint jobs on their bikes. My 2015 Verve 3 has a beautiful gloss black and metallic blue color combo that is really striking to me. I think they've lost a bit of their "art" in the last few model years.
Old 06-18-18, 10:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by yossia
Hi
I wish to upgrade the FD on my DS8.5. Am I correct that I need the type with the High Clamp (Top pull or Dual Pull)? is there enough room on the tube between the BB and the lower boss of the water bottle?
What is the current front derailer on it? Depending on the model year, your cable may come from the bottom or the top, and a down swing (high mount) derailer may or may to interfere with your bottle cage mounts, depending on your frame size and cage mount placement. I think the best advice is to try to match the style as best you can (I think you probably have a top swing derailer, which has the low mount).
Old 06-18-18, 06:36 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by shakyfromwakey
the crankset is SHIMANO Deore XT FC-T781 Hollowtech II with I think 44-32-22 rings had this on my fx3 but after putting bontrager race wheels on the fx3 was much faster making the gearing a bit low so put the xt-t8000 groupset on the fx3
That is a really good looking crank.

I may still be purchasing it for one of my bike projects I have in the works.
Old 06-18-18, 06:39 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Trek used to have some downright attractive paint jobs on their bikes. My 2015 Verve 3 has a beautiful gloss black and metallic blue color combo that is really striking to me. I think they've lost a bit of their "art" in the last few model years.

Keeping in mind that correlation does not necessarily mean causation , it seemed that Trek may have been disappointed with the sales figures for their chrome 8.6DS and decided to play it safe afterwards for the top DS model(s).
Old 06-19-18, 05:24 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
My husband has that one and it’s so pretty. My Neko is a pretty color but i feel pretty meh about it to be honest. I got the California Sky Blue. The step through frame FX comes in mint, i’d love to have that color option.
Old 06-23-18, 07:59 AM
Dannye23

Bikes: 2019 Trek DS 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rider with a mechanical question

Hello everyone!! New to the forum and the MTB scene in general. At first I wasn’t sure what bike to get but I love to ride trails and I also live in NYC so there’s a lot of pavement so I chose the DS3. It’s my first Trek and I am very satisfied. It feels like a well built solid bike. However I have a small issue. I don’t know the correct terminology yet so please forgive me lol. When I switch gears
some switch a lot smoother than others and specifically when I’m in the 2nd big gear and I switch from 4th to 5th sometimes it doesn’t fully change and makes a clicking noise then I have to carefully nudge the shifter being careful not to fully click it because it will jump 2 gears. Is this just an easy adjustment my local bike shop can fix or should I upgrade the gears?
Old 06-23-18, 09:51 AM
Brooke1687

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannye23
Hello everyone!! New to the forum and the MTB scene in general. At first I wasn’t sure what bike to get but I love to ride trails and I also live in NYC so there’s a lot of pavement so I chose the DS3. It’s my first Trek and I am very satisfied. It feels like a well built solid bike. However I have a small issue. I don’t know the correct terminology yet so please forgive me lol. When I switch gears
some switch a lot smoother than others and specifically when I’m in the 2nd big gear and I switch from 4th to 5th sometimes it doesn’t fully change and makes a clicking noise then I have to carefully nudge the shifter being careful not to fully click it because it will jump 2 gears. Is this just an easy adjustment my local bike shop can fix or should I upgrade the gears?
I’ve had a few issues with mine doing that switching from 1 to 2 on the left but not really so much on the smaller gears. Make sure you’re pushing the lever all the way in and hold it an extra split second, that solved my issue. However in your case I’d probably still let your LBS take a look and see if they can make an adjustment.
Old 06-23-18, 10:57 AM
Eric91Z

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sequioa Elite

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on V-brakes. I have a Verve 3, not a DS, but didn’t find a Verve thread. Anyway, on the V-brake setup, has anyone found a brake pad with more feel and bite than the stick ones.

New Verve 3 for me, coming from a road bike. And first set of V-brake setup. I have figured out adjustment and getting better feel than when first got bike, but wondering if better brake pads themselves to look at after these wear down? Or will bite and feel get better as they wear in? Only about 30 miles or so on the bike so far.
Old 06-23-18, 03:18 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Eric91Z
Question on V-brakes. I have a Verve 3, not a DS, but didn’t find a Verve thread. Anyway, on the V-brake setup, has anyone found a brake pad with more feel and bite than the stick ones.
I have the Kool-Stop Dual Compound Mountain pads on my Verve. They're great brake pads, and much better than stock.
Old 06-23-18, 08:49 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 97 Posts
I Broke A Spoke

While cleaning my 2017 DS 2 I found one broken spoke on the rear wheel. On my last ride I thought I heard a creaking noise from the back that was unrelated to me sitting or standing and unrelated to pedaling; I guess it wasn't creaking. My theory as to the likely cause is that I tweaked the spoke while hanging or retrieving the bike from the hangers in the garage. I don't remember hitting any large holes lately and the bike hasn't been on a car rack for a long time. Maybe a Clydesdale did it. Or maybe failure over time/miles but my belief is that I did it in with a false move while hanging the bike.

On Monday I will make some calls and take the wheel to a LBS for repair. Is there any thing in particular I should be aware of regarding the repair?
Old 06-24-18, 11:14 AM
canyonblue737

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see the 2019 Trek DS frame has changed and is a more modern / smoother looking design in particular where the top tube meets the head tube and a slightly bump/arch to the top tube. Much classier and modern looking to my eye. The entire range now has disk brakes and push button shifting. I am so tempted to replace my low mileage and perfectly fine 2012 8.4 for the 2019 Trek DS3 in Volt Green, that looks SOOOOOO nice to me.

Anyone with any comments or info on the changes to the DS for 2019 and how it compares to other hybrid bikes from other companies?
Old 06-24-18, 01:07 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by good4u
On Monday I will make some calls and take the wheel to a LBS for repair. Is there any thing in particular I should be aware of regarding the repair?
That should be a pretty straight-forward job. They'll find a spoke of the correct length, probably use a new nipple, and true the wheel. It'll probably take them 30 minutes tops.
Old 07-10-18, 09:08 AM
Palden

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

out for a little ride this morning
Old 07-10-18, 09:35 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Palden

out for a little ride this morning
That looks like a great way to spend the morning!
Old 07-11-18, 01:36 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 97 Posts
Happy 1,000 Miles to My DS 2

My 2017 DS 2 went over 1,000 miles on this morning's ride. It's been good to me so far with just one flat tire and one unrelated broken spoke and one adjustment to the front derailleur. A recent significant addition has been an adjustable stem to raise the handlebars to the level of the seat. Other items added and subtracted:
  • Two color-matching bottle cages.
  • I lost the first LBS-bought mini pump when its rubber strap broke. Replaced with a Topeak Turbo Morph G which I haven't yet attached.
  • Ergon GP1-L ergonomic grips. Nice but I wish I had gone for the grips with ends for an alternative grip.
  • I replaced the stock saddle with an Ergon SFC3 and that in turn with an impulse purchase of a Serfas saddle and back to the Ergon. But a Selle Anatomica is on the way.
  • I replaced the LBS-bought saddle bag because I was worried about its fragile looking rubber straps. Now using an xxx xxx but I don't like how it attaches or hangs. I carry a spare tube, tire levers and a multi-tool.
  • I added an Axiom handlebar bag recently which seems pretty OK to date. Carries a bike lock, phone, snacks and whatever.
Old 07-14-18, 07:43 PM
jdt1217

Bikes: 2018 Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went for a great ride today!!

'The Fork on 5'

Alongside hwy 5.

Loved the shaded parts.
Old 07-16-18, 12:21 PM
razltrek

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New DS4 owner here!

I recently upgraded my heavily ridden 2014 DS 8.3 to a 2019 DS4. One thing that I thought going in was that I would miss the top end gearing of the 3's 9-speed 48/38/28 since the 4 has 10-speed 42/28 and, yep, I really miss it. I've never migrated a crank from 2x to 3x and am thinking I'm going to have a boat load of questions for y'all about that soon.

@#$% rats, wanted to post pics of her but can't until I get 10 posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.