Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hate grammar and spelling pedants here on BF, read this.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hate grammar and spelling pedants here on BF, read this.

Old 02-12-18, 03:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
or distributing of:

(1) Agricultural produce;

(2) Meat and fish products; and

(3) Perishable foods.
I WAS missing something. This is removed from the passage under discussion, but I wonder why they added and there.

It's clearly a series, as denoted by the numbers, so no punctuation or conjunction is called for. In fact the and adds confusion because without it the syntax implies or. Adding and implies that only someone doing all three is exempted, rather than the (probably) intended any of them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-12-18, 03:54 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
I WAS missing something. This is removed from the passage under discussion, but I wonder why they added and there.

It's clearly a series, as denoted by the numbers, so no punctuation or conjunction is called for. In fact the and adds confusion because without it the syntax implies or. Adding and implies that only someone doing all three is exempted, rather than the (probably) intended any of them.
Yeah, that's what I was whining about. Ironic isn't it, after all that trouble and money over a comma, then leaving that there to add confusion and maybe more litigation down the road.

I think we don't pick up on it at first because it makes no sense and we tend to gloss over it.
Old 02-12-18, 03:57 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6989 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 289 Posts
1 M in coma.. you are getting sleepy..
Old 02-12-18, 04:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
1 M in coma.. you are getting sleepy..
Or just checking ...

By the way, I do hate grammar and also spelling pedants, sometimes, but I do not hate grammar pedants.
Old 02-12-18, 04:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 242 Posts
Since this is Foo, "His participle was dangling" is for Post a lie about the previous poster, Part II.
Old 02-12-18, 05:03 PM
dynodonn 
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Hanging participles are the direct results of one failing to appreciate the value of the lowly toilet paper roll's contribution to society especially in the cases of the unwashed masses.
Old 02-12-18, 07:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Yeah, that's what I was whining about. Ironic isn't it, after all that trouble and money over a comma, then leaving that there to add confusion and maybe more litigation down the road.

I think we don't pick up on it at first because it makes no sense and we tend to gloss over it.
An old friend is a lawyer, who's been in practice since the late sixties mainly in real estate. He was very unhappy when cheap copies and word processing became SOP.

Before that most leases and many other contracts used Blumberg forms. Obviously these canned documents usually weren't exactly right, however two or three added clauses could cover all the necessary changes. The form also had the benefit of having been litigated to death over decades, so everybody knew them cold andthere were no traps or surprises.

Computer generated documents killed these off, and since then he'd have to read every word in a contract that another attorney presented to check for traps. At the same time, he had to devote time to checking his own offices work lest a type or grammatical create a loophole. So what used to be 10 minutes work for both sides, now was hours of niggling over tiny details to ensure that the contract said exactly what both parties thought it meant.

You would think that legislatures at all levels would hire legal clerks to read laws before they were submitted for passage to ensure that they actually said what was intended. But I guess not.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-13-18, 03:55 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
Hanging participles are the direct results of one failing to appreciate the value of the lowly toilet paper roll's contribution to society especially in the cases of the unwashed masses.

I see ahsposo was slow
Old 02-18-18, 08:21 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Shatner. period. FTW.
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
I, for one, will, if possible, comment; but, is it, I'd love to know, if it's even knowable, in this context at least, even possible?

This thread has given me both laughs and a headache!
Old 02-18-18, 08:27 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 30 Posts
Expensive colonoscopy, so to speak.
Old 02-19-18, 11:47 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 03-26-18, 02:31 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 179 Posts
A comma is the most versatile of all the punctuation marks. It can be critical at times or of very little importance. Since you can justify it either way, its almost impossible to use it incorrectly.
Old 03-26-18, 09:36 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
A comma is the most versatile of all the punctuation marks. It can be critical at times or of very little importance. Since you can justify it either way, its almost impossible to use it incorrectly.
Aren't such justifications a willing suspension of disbelief or wonton disregard of OP's valid concerns, concerning the criticality of correct spelling, period...?
Old 03-26-18, 10:45 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
I don't understand why they couldn't just ask the legislature member who wrote the law what they meant?

Or look at how the industry as a whole is interpretting the law?
We live in a country where the criminal justice system is based on "black latter law", meaning the law as written. It would be fine to ask the legislature to clarify the law, but a charged defendant is entitled to an interpretation where any ambiguity is interpreted in his favor.

A similar rule applies in civil law, where any ambiguity is interpreted against then interest of the one who wrote the contract.

Old 03-26-18, 09:42 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
I don't understand why they couldn't just ask the legislature member who wrote the law what they meant?

Or look at how the industry as a whole is interpreting the law?

I mean...use common sense.
It changes with time. Besides, they could be dead by now. In any event, the duty of interpreting the laws belongs to the judiciary.
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
We live in a country where the criminal justice system is based on "black latter law", meaning the law as written. It would be fine to ask the legislature to clarify the law, but a charged defendant is entitled to an interpretation where any ambiguity is interpreted in his favor.

A similar rule applies in civil law, where any ambiguity is interpreted against then interest of the one who wrote the contract.
The criminal justice system is abysmal and was born out of oppression and slavery, and contains systemic problems throughout. It seriously needs to be rewritten from scratch.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-26-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 10:02 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
I'm the worst for sure.
Words just get messed up in my head. And I cant read long story's my mind wanders
Oh, man! That's funny.