Old 03-11-20, 07:59 PM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 892 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 334 Posts
Well, at least we have the NBA to keep us occupied.

Oh, wait.
Old 03-11-20, 08:02 PM
mech986

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Well, we don't have to worry about European or losing Italian participants for Eroica, just heard all travel suspended from Europe. There will likely be issues for Americans who are already there needing to come back, probably repatriated with quarantine like ones on cruise ships.

Letís hope people donít try to circumvent be using indirect flights to N. Or S. America to get around this, thatís what caused the Iranian infection problem.
Old 03-11-20, 08:21 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 17567 Post(s)
Liked 1,340 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post

You're reminding me of the story about wrestling with pigs...
...good way to get teh swine flu. Just sayin'.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-11-20, 08:23 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Funny how much has changed in the 24 hours since I first posted in this thread.

Eroica continuing would be ludicrous, obviously.
Likes For jet sanchEz:
Old 03-11-20, 08:37 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 464 Posts
Gonna quit my job and sell all my bikes tomorrow, seems like the only rational thing to do at this point. When does my corona fall off?
Old 03-11-20, 08:48 PM
clubman 
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Funny how much has changed in the 24 hours since I first posted in this thread.

I loved Angela Merkel not pulling punches today, suggesting that perhaps 60% of Germany will be exposed.
She's credible, she wrote her doctorate on quantum Chemistry and is a trained physicist. Her uncle didn't go to MIT.
That's not politics, that's non-partisan facts.

Oh, and the German Stock markets remain stable because they believe her when she says they'll be safe and secure.

Last edited by clubman; 03-11-20 at 08:57 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-11-20, 08:58 PM
mhespenheide

Bikes: Felt F1PR, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn Paramount PDG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42 View Post
I guess i should be GLAD that I live in BFE small agricultural town, CA. I still hate it there though! might be moving to another small CA town, but this one is in wine country, and has a lot more going for it, even though it is about the same size.
If it's anywhere between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles, drop me a line when you're settled.
Old 03-11-20, 09:15 PM
mhespenheide

Bikes: Felt F1PR, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn Paramount PDG

Does anybody have a map that shows where the private roads are? Or maybe an "almost Eroica" route that bypasses the private roads? If I still go ( a big maybe), I'd want to know where that is. If Eroica cancels, I'd bet that there would still be a lot of riders from the Bay Area and SoCal who won't be taking much of a virus risk by driving there. Surely there will be people "out on the course" regardless if it's official or not.
The vast majority of the Coastal Route and the "Via de los Scalatores" is on public or at least semi-public roads where travel is accepted. You could easily do a great ride, at least for those routes, that's 98%+ "authentic". The route north on 1 and then back south is completely public. I don't know about the heroic route; I've never ridden that one.

I live about two hours south. Unless things get dramatically worse in the meantime, I'll almost certainly do the ride whether it's officially held or not. But I'm also happy to camp the night before, and bring all my own food. I'll miss the support, but the ride itself is the more important and more enjoyable part.
Old 03-11-20, 09:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 81 Medici, 84 Centurion Turbo, 2011 Richard Sachs, '90 Alpina Team, 85 TREK 620, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Little bit.

But Kiler and Cypress aren't Stelvio nor Mortirolo. And then again, there is also next year too. So much hand wringing about a bike ride, you have to admit, is a little sad.
Killer and Cypress are dirt and quite a challenging treat with vintage race bike gears. Pretty sure Stelvio and Mortirolo are paved.
Old 03-11-20, 09:50 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 81 Medici, 84 Centurion Turbo, 2011 Richard Sachs, '90 Alpina Team, 85 TREK 620, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 136 Posts
If a cancelation includes a refund, I'll use it for the BWR in May. That was my Spring Classic before EroicaCA and they recently opened some extra spots. The course is at least as much fun as the EroicaCA Heroic course.
Old 03-11-20, 09:55 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 556 Posts
I'm poo pooing?

Of all the world's problems, your worry is whether Eroica CA is cancelled and you can't have access to a couple of roads this year. That's your cross to bear? I think that is ******g ridiculous. If you can't see it, well then yes, I'm the *******.
Starbucks no longer refills my cup.
But hey, if I show them my empty cup, I still get $.10 off.
Can America get any better? I think not!

Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 03-11-20, 10:00 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 359 Posts
Hope this doesn't end up as a sticky.

But if it does, it should at least replace that Ironman thread.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-11-20, 10:55 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 241 Posts
Perhaps already 'past tense', I would guess those booking travel by commercial are now adding Cancel for Any Reason insurance. Standard opt travel insurance is not good enough. Tally ho ~

Slightly off topic, up until a week ago I seriously considered hosting a vintage MTB event near Lake Geneva WI. I've been thinking of this for two years, even detoured on the return from last years Coppi Centenario to the potential event location. Two day event to make it worthy for those traveling long distance. A sponsoring store was willing to make base camp and with nearby terrific riding trails for all levels of riders. Also had preliminary meet and scouted a fabulous vintage mansion / estate turned hotel for the party scene.

A package deal looked promising but writing is now off the wall. Oh well, ride safe and wishing you and yours good health.

Last edited by crank_addict; 03-11-20 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 03:52 AM
mech986

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
All this talk of cancelling the event makes me want to attend that much more. Hopefully if the event is ultimately cancelled (seems highly likely) a few people show up and ride the event informally, and completely free, without the dubious rules forbidding things sane people ride with, like clipless pedals. I'm about 4 hours away, and plan to drive over for the day and check things out, whichever way it goes.

I don't really see this potential cancellation as any loss, what's so hard about using a map, bringing your own food along? I think an informal event could actually be much more fun than the sponsored one.
The “dubious rules” provide a basis of even preparation and re-creation of some of the equipment conditions for the bike era that Classic L’Eroica celebrates, namely those classic steel bikes and riders from the 30’s through the 80’s before significant advances in bike tech.

Granted they are stipulated and specified by the founding organizers as a way to differentiate that era - 1987 or earlier, mostly steel framed lugged bikes with some exceptions, downtube shifters, toe clips and straps, exposed non aero brakes and cables (Eroica California uniquely though allows aero brake levers for more inclusion), shallow non-aero rims, rim brakes, etc. Eroica does allow gearing changes to facilitate riding and climbing for those who need it to complete the ride or whose older legs are not quite as good as they think they were 40-50 years ago!

it is the spirit of the ride and the challenge of doing it under similar equipment conditions as the greats did in those eras. No more no less. Those with medical conditions like foot and ankle problems can seek out a doctors’ note and notify the EC organizer they need to use a clipless pedal - many have when needed. At Eroica California, partly in keeping with California spirit, and to encourage greater participation, bike prep is done mostly on the honor system, and there is little full blown inspection or ban, but of course, other riders may call you out informally. It’s the challenge of doing it with a fully vintage setup with modern preparation sensibilities.

However, at the founding L’Eroica Gaiole event in Italy, they get over 15-17,000 riders and entries and they do inspect and restrict if needed, such is the vintage crowd, spirit, and “honor” that permeates that event and some of the other Eroica events around the world.

That is also the reason the NOVA Eroica rides on modern road bikes was introduced (1st one at Eroica California last year), to provide the same challenge, similar routes, and event ambiance for younger and modern bike riders, many of whom may enjoy and join in the classic and vintage bike hobby too. IIRC, Manny66 was planning to do both?

My senior high school 72 Italvega Super Speciale has a triple setup with 52/42/28 front and 14-30 freewheel plus 700C x 35 Compass Renť Hersť clinchers running at 45-52 psi F/R, plus a Rally cage added to the original Camoagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur - all concessions to my being 48 years older, 50 pounds heavier, and a good climber only in my mind. It otherwise still has deep toeclips, DT shifter, original Campy Sidepull brakes, and Cinelli bars with Velox / Tessostar tape. My other concession to modern tech is using wide modern Shimano shoes with/without cleats (because wide vintage recreation shoes are prohibitively expensive) and Lycra spandex padded shorts because my butt never did like chamois, wool is ok though. I wear vintage style wool or polyester jerseys for the look. It is adult Cosplay in the same sense as when I go to Star Trek conventions in full uniform or when my adult sons go to Comic-Con in full Marvel or Star Wars costumes.

lots of people commented and looked at my bike initially, especially the tires (suggested by my BIL) but then many of them felt the setup pretty well adapted for the terrain and roads. But plenty rode on 19-25 tubulars and race gearing too and had a blast. I suffered as much as I could handle last year but proudly did finish the 75 mile Santa Lucia route but did have to walk the last 2.5 miles from the 57-60 mile to Cypress Mountain summit.

of course, if you are riding outside of the event, you can ride whatever you choose that makes it pleasurable for you to enjoy (or suffer) the ride. Eroica California is a celebration event for like minded participants but there’s leeway in the laid back California spirit and vibe. Tons and tons of classic bikes and gear though, lots of fun.

1972 Italvega Super Speciale

What's with the obsession of riding the exact route? Are C&V ocd too?

I imagine the entire area is lovely and saying any particular route is "better" is for those who really need some help.
Well, the exact route is at least a reference to gauge your performance, and it is mapped out with cue sheet and known decent (mostly) paved and gravel/dirt roads, plus areas reasonably populated. A friend on our Velo-Retro ride has ridden up there many times and did a couple of training rides on some of the roads. I think he said it best when he mentioned “you know though, there are some roads there that are seldom used, you don’t know the conditions, and cell service is lacking in a lot of areas. If I crashed or had problems, it might be a real problem to get help.” So he stuck to the better known and traveled roads.

Its great to explore, one of the best parts of riding as you know, just a consideration for those of us not from the area.

Last edited by mech986; 03-12-20 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 04:18 AM
mech986

This news is through end of March, but if the CV issue in California continues to expand or worsen, April impacts will not be far behind.

"Gov. Newsom calls on all events with more than 250 people to be canceled or postponed due to coronavirus concerns"

https://deadline.com/2020/03/califor...ct-1202880622/

Impact on Entertainment industry in California/Hollywood:
https://deadline.com/2020/03/califor...ct-1202880622/

This may make postponement or cancellation of Eroica California inevitable, or at least considerations for social distancing and modifications on how the ride and festivals and dinner would be done. .
Old 03-12-20, 05:00 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 149 Posts
I just tried logging on to their website to check on any info. I couldn't get there. It seems shut down? Anyone else having trouble? As Bartly just stated , the Governor has pretty much made the decision for them. Still, it would be nice to hear something from someone connected with the event. Joe
Old 03-12-20, 07:11 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 149 Posts
Well, I just got an email from Kaori and "at this time" they are not planning on canceling either the Eroica Nova or the Classic Eroica. That is the latest from them. I think they are probably waiting for word from the health dept. as to what , if anything, is going to change. Anything I can imagine happening is a guess so I will refrain. At least I got a response, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-12-20, 09:34 AM
Reynolds 531

Bikes: 4 Old school BMX, 6 Klunkers, 5 29er race bikes, 4 restored Sting Rays, Now 3 vintage steel bike being built up

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
What tires are those, specifically? To me they look like Compass (or whatever they are called now) but I like the concept.

Originally Posted by mech986 View Post

lots of people commented and looked at my bike initially, especially the tires (suggested by my BIL) but then many of them felt the setup pretty well adapted for the terrain and roads. But plenty rode on 19-25 tubulars and race gearing too and had a blast.

1972 Italvega Super Speciale

Old 03-12-20, 10:13 AM
mhespenheide

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531 View Post
What tires are those, specifically? To me they look like Compass (or whatever they are called now) but I like the concept.
It's in the body of his text:

Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
700C x 35 Compass Renť Hersť clinchers running at 45-52 psi F/R.
Old 03-12-20, 10:15 AM
Reynolds 531

Bikes: 4 Old school BMX, 6 Klunkers, 5 29er race bikes, 4 restored Sting Rays, Now 3 vintage steel bike being built up

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
It's in the body of his text:

Got it. Thank you. Somehow missed it the first time. TLDR
Old 03-12-20, 11:06 AM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Gonna quit my job and sell all my bikes tomorrow, seems like the only rational thing to do at this point. When does my corona fall off?
Buyers market
Old 03-12-20, 11:21 AM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Am I the last person to realize the irony of Corona Virus and Classic and Vintage initials being the same, especially since we skew towards the population hit hardest?

I'm betting that it's not your age, but the age of your heart and lungs.
Old 03-12-20, 11:40 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PFN10

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 85 Posts
Am I the last person to realize the irony of Corona Virus and Classic and Vintage initials being the same, especially since we skew towards the population hit hardest?
I don't own a Toyota so I don't worry about the Corona virus. And I don't usually drink any of that Mexican beer.

I'm betting that it's not your age, but the age of your heart and lungs.
In all seriousness, you are probably right. Not so much age per se as general health. Still, those of us who have been accumulating antibodies for decades may have different reactions than someone just getting started.
Old 03-12-20, 11:40 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
Hope this doesn't end up as a sticky.
But if it does, it should at least replace that Ironman thread.
We have a sticky?

Old 03-12-20, 11:44 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
I don't own a Toyota so I don't worry about the Corona virus.
Don't let it spread to your Supra. I hear that's painful.

And I don't usually drink any of that Mexican beer.
Dos Equis, uno mas and you're outta there!

In all seriousness, you are probably right. Not so much age per se as general health. Still, those of us who have been accumulating antibodies for decades may have different reactions than someone just getting started.
There seems to be quite a range of impacts, from "like a cold" to "being dead 48 hours after having no symptoms." Is there a "severity" factor I'm missing, or is it just the individual's ability to withstand it?

Tom Hanks went from "hey, folks, we've tested positive" to "they are in stable condition."

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-12-20 at 11:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.