Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Downhill technique: Flairing one's knee

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Downhill technique: Flairing one's knee

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 10:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Haven’t taken the time to read the whole thread,
Lucky you.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-12-20, 10:59 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'll repeat an earlier question: if constant pressure on the bars is required, how is it possible to turn a bicycle while riding "no hands"?
You really love to strawman the heck out of these arguments. You call others out on "not answering your questions" then cherry pick one tiny aspect of a response while ignoring the rest of the post that proves you wrong.

While you're riding with no hands, try to lean the bike over further and further. You wouldn't do that, right? Why not? Because the front wheel would end up cutting in under the bike and try to go to full lock into the corner. The only way to combat that full-lock-crash situation is to apply pressure to the inside of your handlebar, which is....countersteering.

If you want to know why your bike begins turning when you're riding with no hands, read up on gyroscopic precession. I'm not going to go into lengthy detail on that in this thread because I'm still not convinced you aren't an attention-seeking troll.
Old 03-12-20, 11:18 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
You really love to strawman the heck out of these arguments. You call others out on "not answering your questions" then cherry pick one tiny aspect of a response while ignoring the rest of the post that proves you wrong.
I am not making a straw man argument. I am offering an example to illustrate why a statement is false.

While you're riding with no hands, try to lean the bike over further and further. You wouldn't do that, right? Why not? Because the front wheel would end up cutting in under the bike and try to go to full lock into the corner. The only way to combat that full-lock-crash situation is to apply pressure to the inside of your handlebar, which is....countersteering.
You're leaving out an important tool -- a rider has the ability to shift their weight. Surely you've turned a bike with your hands off the bars?

If you want to know why your bike begins turning when you're riding with no hands, read up on gyroscopic precession. I'm not going to go into lengthy detail on that in this thread because I'm still not convinced you aren't an attention-seeking troll.
So, when someone disagrees with a statement made by another poster, and offers reasons why they disagree, they are a troll?
Old 03-12-20, 11:39 AM
Cypress

You're leaving out an important tool -- a rider has the ability to shift their weight. Surely you've turned a bike with your hands off the bars?
Allow me to clarify my own post, since you are having troubles with this, and you still can't seem to stop focusing on minutia instead of the whole post.

While you're riding with no hands, try to lean the bike over further and further using any means outside of your hands, be it body weight, telekinesis, dark voodoo magic, the will of Allah, etc . You wouldn't do that, right? Why not? Because the front wheel would end up cutting in under the bike and try to go to full lock into the corner. The only way to combat that full-lock-crash situation is to apply pressure to the inside of your handlebar, which is....countersteering.
I am not making a straw man argument. I am offering an example to illustrate why a statement is false.
You're arguing minutia that isn't relevant to the overall message of the post to save face in your losing argument. That is, by definition, strawmanning. You remind me of my ex-girlfriend.

So, when someone disagrees with a statement made by another poster, and offers reasons why they disagree, they are a troll?
You're a troll because while everyone is proving you wrong time and time again, you keep changing the tune of your argument to try and sound correct.

It's time to admit you're wrong about this, or you're just a troll desperately looking for attention.
Old 03-12-20, 11:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The crazy thing is almost anyone can ride a bike without having to be able to describe the physics of it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-12-20, 12:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I don't always stick me knee out (in) when cornering,

but when I do, I do it for flair,

and sometimes wonder to myself, "is this actually doing anything?"
Old 03-12-20, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

You're arguing minutia that isn't relevant to the overall message of the post to save face in your losing argument. That is, by definition, strawmanning.
It's not minutia. There have been two very incorrect statements made by posters in this thread. The first is that the handlebars remain turned away from the direction of the turn for the duration of the turn. That is demonstrably false, and is clearly shown in the video linked earlier in the thread, and in many scientific articles. The second false statement is that pressure must be applied to the inside of the handlebars for the duration of the turn to keep the bike from going straight. That statement is also demonstrably false, as anyone who is adept at riding no hands can attest to.

It's time to admit you're wrong about this, or you're just a troll desperately looking for attention.
I will repeat my general point: Counter steering is a very effective way to initiate a turn on a bicycle, but it is not the only way to initiate a turn, and it is not always the quickest way to initiate a turn. My statement applies to bicycle, not motorcycles. Techniques that work for bicycles do not necessarily work for motorcycles, because the weight of the rider is dominant on a bicycle, while the weight of the rider is much less than the weight of a motorcycle.
Old 03-12-20, 12:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It's not minutia. There have been two very incorrect statements made by posters in this thread. The first is that the handlebars remain turned away from the direction of the turn for the duration of the turn. That is demonstrably false, and is clearly shown in the video linked earlier in the thread, and in many scientific articles. The second false statement is that pressure must be applied to the inside of the handlebars for the duration of the turn to keep the bike from going straight. That statement is also demonstrably false, as anyone who is adept at riding no hands can attest to.

I will repeat my general point: Counter steering is a very effective way to initiate a turn on a bicycle, but it is not the only way to initiate a turn, and it is not always the quickest way to initiate a turn. My statement applies to bicycle, not motorcycles. Techniques that work for bicycles do not necessarily work for motorcycles, because the weight of the rider is dominant on a bicycle, while the weight of the rider is much less than the weight of a motorcycle.
And yes to this latter statement. On sweepers, I often initiate the turn by dropping my head into it. That's a slower initiation, but it feels right and it's fast.
Old 03-12-20, 12:15 PM
Cypress

You're comparing turning while riding with no hands to actual cornering, and that's a false dichotomy. You've also ignored my entire explanation as to why cornering happens with no hands, and obviously (intentionally?) didn't care to read up on gyroscopic precession for the full explanation of the physics. You so desperately don't want to be wrong about this, so you've closed out all explanations that aren't your own.
Old 03-12-20, 12:25 PM
tomato coupe

You're comparing turning while riding with no hands to actual cornering, and that's a false dichotomy. You've also ignored my entire explanation as to why cornering happens with no hands, and obviously (intentionally?) didn't care to read up on gyroscopic precession for the full explanation of the physics. You so desperately don't want to be wrong about this, so you've closed out all explanations that aren't your own.
I am not disagreeing that counter steering is required to initiate a turn while riding no hands. What I'm disagreeing with is that a rider must apply constant pressure to the inside of the bars for the duration of the turn. This obviously doesn't happen when one takes a corner with their hands off the bars, therefore it clearly is not necessary.

And, just for the record, I really don't need to read up on gyroscopic precession. My physics background far exceeds yours.
Old 03-12-20, 12:34 PM
Cypress

I am not disagreeing that counter steering is required to initiate a turn while riding no hands. What I'm disagreeing with is that a rider must apply constant pressure to the inside of the bars for the duration of the turn. This obviously doesn't happen when one takes a corner with their hands off the bars, therefore it clearly is not necessary.

And, just for the record, I really don't need to read up on gyroscopic precession. My physics background far exceeds yours.
You're obviously not my ex then. She knows about my degree in Geophysics and subsequent math minor from Oregon State.

Again, you are ignoring my post...no surprise there. Next time you're mid-corner, take your hands off the bars and find out for yourself. I, and everyone else, is sick of explaining this to you.
Old 03-12-20, 12:39 PM
tomato coupe

You're obviously not my ex then. She knows about my degree in Geophysics and subsequent math minor from Oregon State.
Like I said, my physics background far exceeds yours.

Again, you are ignoring my post...no surprise there. Next time you're mid-corner, take your hands off the bars and find out for yourself. I, and everyone else, is sick of explaining this to you.
Have you really never seen anyone take a corner with their hands off the bars? I could do that when I was 8 years old.
Old 03-12-20, 12:41 PM
Cypress

Have you really never seen anyone take a corner with their hands off the bars? I could do that when I was 8 years old.
You are too much, man. Again, not understanding my post and only responding to the words you put in your own head. You might be good at physics (who knows), but your reading comprehension is bottom of the barrel.
Old 03-12-20, 12:48 PM
tomato coupe

You are too much, man. Again, not understanding my post and only responding to the words you put in your own head. You might be good at physics (who knows), but your reading comprehension is bottom of the barrel.
Clearly, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Please try to explain it to me. I mean that, honestly.
Old 03-12-20, 01:47 PM
Cypress

Clearly, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Please try to explain it to me. I mean that, honestly.
If a rider were to enter a corner at a decent speed (such as on a downhill, per the thread title) with their hands on the bars, then remove them from the bars, they will crash. This is because pressure will no longer be applied to the inside bar, which, as stated so many times, in so many ways, is countersteering. Short of you actually doing this in real life (I really don't want you do try it - bike crashes suck) and your apprehension/inability to apply your vast knowledge of physics to the subject, there's not much else to explain.
Old 03-12-20, 02:11 PM
tomato coupe

If a rider were to enter a corner at a decent speed (such as on a downhill, per the thread title) with their hands on the bars, then remove them from the bars, they will crash. This is because pressure will no longer be applied to the inside bar, which, as stated so many times, in so many ways, is countersteering. Short of you actually doing this in real life (I really don't want you do try it - bike crashes suck) and your apprehension/inability to apply your vast knowledge of physics to the subject, there's not much else to explain.
One can make a turn with hands on the bars, and one can make a turn with hands off the bars, but they require different techniques. Your scenario, which involves removing hands from the bars in the middle of a high speed turn, is very tricky because changing techniques in the middle of a high speed turn is quite difficult. The transition is very difficult, but it is incorrect to conclude that it can't be done because pressure must be maintained on the inside of the bars. Physics does not require that a rider maintain pressure on the inside bar.

Beautiful demonstration in the first 30 seconds of this famous video:

Old 03-12-20, 02:15 PM
Cypress

One can make a turn with hands on the bars, and one can make a turn with hands off the bars, but they require different techniques. Your scenario, which involves removing hands from the bars in the middle of a high speed turn, is very tricky because changing techniques in the middle of a high speed turn is quite difficult. The transition is very difficult, but it is incorrect to conclude that it can't be done because pressure must be maintained on the inside of the bars. Physics does not require that a rider maintain pressure on the inside bar.

Beautiful demonstration in the first 30 seconds of this famous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgF_j1FPxhk
If that's your idea of
a decent speed
, you and I are talking about VASTLY different things.
Old 03-12-20, 02:21 PM
tomato coupe

If that's your idea of a decent speed you and I are talking about VASTLY different things.
It's a lot trickier doing things at 30mph than it is at 10mph, but the physics is the same. Pressure on the inside bar is not necessary at either speed. Obviously, for safety reasons, you're better off keeping your hands on the bars at 30mph.
Old 03-12-20, 02:24 PM
Cypress

It's a lot trickier doing things at 30mph than it is at 10mph, but the physics is the same. Pressure on the inside bar is not necessary at either speed.
I disagree with both of those sentences. This could be where individual skillset is dividing our experiences.
Old 03-12-20, 02:33 PM
tomato coupe

I disagree with both of those sentences. This could be where individual skillset is dividing our experiences.
You disagree that it's trickier to do things at higher speeds or that the physics is the same?
Old 03-12-20, 02:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
How soon until roadies realize they could actually corner like those MotoGP guys if they installed a dropper post? How soon after that until bike shorts grow knee pucks?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-12-20, 02:50 PM
Cypress

You disagree that it's trickier to do things at higher speeds or that the physics is the same?
I'm not going down this road with you (again). If you want me to concede and say "you're totally right" you're barking up the wrong tree.

My experience and applied knowledge will always trump your theory.
Old 03-12-20, 02:57 PM
tomato coupe

I'm not going down this road with you (again). If you want me to concede and say "you're totally right" you're barking up the wrong tree.
You stated you disagree with a statement I made. I'm simply asking which part you disagree with.
Old 03-12-20, 03:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Many posts above, someone asked me if the pressure placed on the bars that i was referring to was downward or forward. Counter steering is a forward push on the bars (trying to turn left). Down won't do a thing. You may have your hands in the hooks and push down, but if it tightens the turn, it's because the bars were turned slightly to be counter steering as a result of the pushing mostly down.

I found my motorcycle training course to be very enlightening, when applied to my bicycle riding. The turning principles are the same, but the pressure required to turn a bicycle is tiny compared to a motorcycle. Those hefty wheels turning at a high speed make it much harder to turn a motorcycle. As I've noted before, I rode down my regular 10 mile winding decent, with my hands in the hooks, using nothing but counter steering pressure in the turn and letting up to straighten out, just as my motorcycle training instructor advised. From then on, if my bike wasn't turning sharp enough or too sharp, I knew just what to do to correct my path. You don;t want to rely on magic.

I was also accused of making mistakes about which direction the wheels are turned in a sweeping high speed turn. Not so, since I never commented on the direction that the tire is turned. It's irrelevant. What you must concentrate on is your position on the road and whether you need more or less counter steering pressure to maintain the desired path, through a turn. If no counter steering is applied it means you're not leaning the bike and not turning.
Old 03-12-20, 04:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Moderation note: We have a lot of interesting posts and information for OP on steering. Let's agree to disagree with respect to some of the debated points and let OP, as well as others decide what to believe and put into practice. Of course, continue to add value if appropriate but curtail the bickering, badgering, trolling and etc.
Likes For Hermes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.