Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

NCAA Tournament no fans in the stands due to virus?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-11-20, 03:24 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts

Is it really this serious? or is it Y2K all over again?
Old 03-11-20, 04:41 PM
cb400bill
Model Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 589 Posts
Yes, it is really this serious.
Old 03-11-20, 04:47 PM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 194 Posts
the alternative is to cancel the entire tourney. is it better to play it without fans/attendance? wonít be the same obviously. i feel itís the right call tho.

on a similar/related note, wondering if music festivals/concerts/performances decide to do the same and offer the performances, free of fans/paid attendance with a streaming link so prepaid attendance can still opt to watch the performance or do a pay per view vs a refund/partial refund/no refund. that is if the performers agree to do it.
Old 03-11-20, 04:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 315 Posts
last friday I watched (over live video stream) my alma mater lose in the 1st round of the d3 tourney, in their home gym with nobody present except for teams, coaches, and media.
Old 03-11-20, 07:50 PM
cb400bill
Model Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 589 Posts
The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of Wednesday's schedule of games until further notice.
Old 03-11-20, 09:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 513 Posts
This is FRIKIN nuts! The mass paranoia is insane! Causing havoc with all the rednecks I live around. The earth will do this at times so deal with it! I’m not living in the cave I prepared for the apocalypse Ramen Noodles I guess are tasty.
Old 03-11-20, 11:17 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

KISS is flying back to LA from Tulsa where they are scheduled to perform tomorrow. Was going to Lafayette on Saturday to see KISS. I’m not sure WTF is going on. I don’t trust the media so I guess we will see later.
Old 03-12-20, 12:03 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 194 Posts
not sure i trust kiss more than the media but they do have rock n' roll all nite, firehouse, god of thunder, detroit rock city, strutter, love gun, cold gin and a few other hits. rock n' roll cures all.
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 03-12-20, 04:58 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 201 Posts
The NBA has suspended its season for an indefinite time frame after a player tested positive.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/expert-...025649175.html

(edit--I just saw that Bill posted this, but I will leave the link here in case anyone wants to read the story)
Old 03-12-20, 05:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10858 Post(s)
Liked 2,359 Times in 1,331 Posts
"Gobert certainly didnít appear to be taking the threat of contracting coronavirus seriously during a press conference on Monday night. In an apparent effort to make a point about overreaction to the spread of the virus, Gobert made it a point to touch every mic and recorder in front of him before leaving the podium."
Old 03-12-20, 05:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
KISS is flying back to LA from Tulsa where they are scheduled to perform tomorrow.
Smart move. The elderly are more at risk for serious complications.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-20, 06:10 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Locally, what shocked me is the cancellation of the remaining 12 days of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. That monstrosity of an event is like 20 consecutive NFL football games with an oversized tailgate party and carnival.

Usually, the Houston area is fairly "immune" to what happens in the rest of the world or the USA, but apparently not when it comes to virus scares.
Old 03-12-20, 09:32 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Confusing to say the least If it is really that bad or overhyped? Having a scheduled road trip to a concert venue with thousands in attendance is risky? Or overhyped? If we don’t go we are out some $ but if we go and get sick? I just don’t know at this point. The room can be canceled with 24hrs notice..
Old 03-12-20, 09:37 AM
indyfabz

Second member of the Utah NBA team has tested positive.
Old 03-12-20, 12:06 PM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500/400, '89 Schwinn Le Tour, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 321 Posts
New news, the power 5 conference tournaments that are mid-way through have just been cancelled. Not just no fans, CANCELLED. The smaller conferences are following their lead.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ce-tournaments

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 03-12-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 12:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11403 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 1,508 Posts
Confusing to say the least If it is really that bad or overhyped? Having a scheduled road trip to a concert venue with thousands in attendance is risky? Or overhyped? If we donít go we are out some $ but if we go and get sick? I just donít know at this point. The room can be canceled with 24hrs notice..
Little of both. Media over-hype everything. But this really does have the potential to be bad. We don't know exactly how bad it is, and everybody is being cautious.

If you catch it, you probably won't get deathly ill. It mostly affects older people, diabetics, people with compromised immune systems, etc. You're not that old (I think) and as a cyclist you're probably in better shape than most. But if you do get it, you'll be contagious for weeks, including before you know you have it, and you could spread it to others who won't do as well. I'm more worried about spreading it to family than I am about catching it myself.

Plus, who knows, maybe after a few months everybody who got the virus will turn into zombies, like in Thriller.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-12-20, 01:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

This says (somewhere, sorry it's long and I'm trying to remember what I read yesterday) influenza kills about 0.1% of infected, and each infected person infects on average 1.3 others. That maths out to predictable behavior, for instance this flu season about 500k have been hospitalized and over 40k have died. Coronavirus is new and they're still trying to get a handle on the statistics, but it kills somewhere between 1-3% of infected, and each infected person infects on average 2.0 others. Plus the additional complication that many infected are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, so they don't know they're contagious (that's probably factored into/explains why it's 2 instead of just 1.3).

I'm sure it would be an Epidemiology 101 exercise to calculate, if we let it run its course, what percentage of the planet would die, and how long that would take. I guess 1-3%, so 70M-210M people would die. And 2 is pretty easy to work with, 7B is about 2^33, so the whole planet would be infected after 33 infection cycles (weeks? days?). Not really quite that fast, because some populations are more isolated, and once it becomes very prevalent, the infected are just rubbing up against each other and not infecting anybody new. But the first probably 20-25 infection cycles would be able to freely double I think before saturation slows things down.

I must be missing something there, because even influenza has infection rate >1, which still implies exponential growth which would take over the world. Other factors must arrest the growth, such as season change (it seems influenza viruses don't survive well in warmer temps), or for the flu, people being vaccinated. 1.3 I assume means, in an unvaccinated population.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-12-20, 03:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

KISS canceled the remaining shows on this leg of the tour. I’m ok with canceling the room and the concert is rescheduled for Oct 7.
The NCAA just canceled the March Madness tournament! The only time I watch college basketball. Luckily I like beer and bikes so I can get through this latest virus.
Old 03-12-20, 03:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11403 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
This says (somewhere, sorry it's long and I'm trying to remember what I read yesterday) influenza kills about 0.1% of infected, and each infected person infects on average 1.3 others. That maths out to predictable behavior, for instance this flu season about 500k have been hospitalized and over 40k have died. Coronavirus is new and they're still trying to get a handle on the statistics, but it kills somewhere between 1-3% of infected, and each infected person infects on average 2.0 others. Plus the additional complication that many infected are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, so they don't know they're contagious (that's probably factored into/explains why it's 2 instead of just 1.3).

I'm sure it would be an Epidemiology 101 exercise to calculate, if we let it run its course, what percentage of the planet would die, and how long that would take. I guess 1-3%, so 70M-210M people would die. And 2 is pretty easy to work with, 7B is about 2^33, so the whole planet would be infected after 33 infection cycles (weeks? days?). Not really quite that fast, because some populations are more isolated, and once it becomes very prevalent, the infected are just rubbing up against each other and not infecting anybody new. But the first probably 20-25 infection cycles would be able to freely double I think before saturation slows things down.

I must be missing something there, because even influenza has infection rate >1, which still implies exponential growth which would take over the world. Other factors must arrest the growth, such as season change (it seems influenza viruses don't survive well in warmer temps), or for the flu, people being vaccinated. 1.3 I assume means, in an unvaccinated population.
This is a good video. You just summarized a lot of it. The visuals go well with the explanation.

Old 03-12-20, 03:18 PM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 137 Posts
KISS canceled the remaining shows on this leg of the tour. Iím ok with canceling the room and the concert is rescheduled for Oct 7.
The NCAA just canceled the March Madness tournament! The only time I watch college basketball. Luckily I like beer and bikes so I can get through this latest virus.
College World Series is cancelled too. Big10 has cancelled all spring sports competitions.

Touring acts are announcing postponements/cancellations of their shows as we speak. There goes my income...
Old 03-12-20, 03:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
College World Series is cancelled too. Big10 has cancelled all spring sports competitions.

Touring acts are announcing postponements/cancellations of their shows as we speak. There goes my income...
What do you do in the business? Just curious..
Old 03-12-20, 03:29 PM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

What do you do in the business? Just curious..
I'm a Local. Generally do lighting/utilities/followspot for theater/bands/etc...looking at changing fields to work-at-home-able. Wanted to get back to a job with a normal workday schedule anyway, here's the boot in my butt to do it. Local arena has already announced 3 cancels/postponements in the next month...guessing the theater acts are soon to follow. Shame as there were several good-money days coming up that probably aren't going to happen.

Cher has already announced, Blake Shelton has already announced.

I'm honestly not sure if viral pandemic counts as Force Majeur or not. Something the lawyers are going to have to figure out. Crapload of money in booking fees gone, and someone has to square the account.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 03-12-20, 04:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
I'm a Local. Generally do lighting/utilities/followspot for theater/bands/etc...looking at changing fields to work-at-home-able. Wanted to get back to a job with a normal workday schedule anyway, here's the boot in my butt to do it. Local arena has already announced 3 cancels/postponements in the next month...guessing the theater acts are soon to follow. Shame as there were several good-money days coming up that probably aren't going to happen.

Cher has already announced, Blake Shelton has already announced.

I'm honestly not sure if viral pandemic counts as Force Majeur or not. Something the lawyers are going to have to figure out. Crapload of money in booking fees gone, and someone has to square the account.
Cool, you get to be involved in the shows. Iím guessing you get a different perspective being on the production side of things.
Old 03-12-20, 04:06 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
This is a good video. You just summarized a lot of it. The visuals go well with the explanation.

https://youtu.be/Kas0tIxDvrg
Pretty cool vid. Here's a graph from Johns Hopkins of China (orange) vs the rest of the world (yellow). Green is Recovered (worldwide).

So you can see China started with exponential growth, but now seems to have things under control (that big jog in the curve is probably a correction for incorrect data collection (or perhaps dishonest reporting))

The rest of the world is showing xponential growth. Hopefully that slowdown since just yesterday is meaningful, but it could just mean today's stats from Italy or Iran aren't posted yet.

Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-12-20, 04:12 PM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Cool, you get to be involved in the shows. Iím guessing you get a different perspective being on the production side of things.
Sometimes the acts are chill and cool, sometimes they're just plain jagoffs. KISS was just here a few weeks ago. Their roadie crew this time around was quite good and chill....last time KISS came by a few years ago.....well, the roadies:
  • Hated their jobs
  • Hated the band
  • Hated the fans most of all (for liking the band)
Was one of the more disaffected troupes I'd seen in a while. And the roadie I reported to that day...well, he was a complete nut that I never want to meet again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.