Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cartridge bottom bracket - extreme spindle resistance normal?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-13-20, 11:46 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 44 Posts

So I've installed my first sealed cartridge bottrom bracket onto a 70s Nishiki. With vintage BB's I'm used to very little spindle resistance, they spin very easily by hand. With this one, it's very difficult to spin with my hand, although it is a smooth spin all the way around. Is this something that is normal and changes when there is weight put onto the BB? If I were to install the crank arms and pedals right now (I would, but can't currently for various reasons), and put them at 6 and 12, there's no way they would swing down on their own.

For what it's worth it's a cheaper BB - a Sunlite Sl-26, but it's what my LBS usually has on hand and they haven't steered me wrong with anything else in the past. A friend also has this in her 81 Fuji and it seems to work well for her.

Thanks

Last edited by polymorphself; 03-13-20 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 01:06 AM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 363 Posts
I don't have experience with Sunlite anything and not too much with cartridge bbs outside Shimano or Phil Wood. So it's good that I'm responding first... I would return it and buy a $21 UN55 on ebay. Then follow the generally practiced torque settings and use of blue Loctite for the adjustable cup.
Old 03-14-20, 01:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 649 Posts
I've used a couple of SunLite brand bits and pieces. They're decent knockoffs of name brand stuff, comparable to SunRace in quality. The Sunlite SL-26 appears to be a knockoff of the well regarded Shimano BB-UN26 (which is also fairly inexpensive), so it's probably fine.

Might just need some break-in rides. The cartridge probably has a rubber or plastic seal and metal retaining ring, so there's bound to be some resistance at first. Put on a crank arm and you probably can't feel any resistance at all. When pedaling it might cost 1/2 Watt.

Depending on which engineer you ask, they'll either say sealed cartridge bearings are worth the very slight increase in resistance in exchange for reduced maintenance; or a drag and not worth the loss of performance. For my hybrids I'll probably switch to sealed cartridge BBs next time I overhaul 'em. Not sure yet about my road bikes.

BTW, some sealed loose bearing/cup & cone types can be a bit draggy. The rubber seals do add some friction. Some folks will grease the rubber, or use PTFE, moly, something to slick 'em up a bit. My big ol' heavy comfort hybrid/errand bike has draggy sealed bearings. I don't worry about it on that bike. It's worth the imperceptible drag in exchange for not needing to service it... like, ever. Maybe if something goes wrong. But I'm not gonna redo everything on a $100 errand bike every year.

But on my road bikes, well... let's just say I was one of those kooks who replaced the grease in my hubs with light oil or WD-40 just before crits or long fast rides. Probably made absolutely zero difference considering my very middling physical abilities on a bike. But it sure felt fast.

And I'm still the type to fuss and fret over every tiny point of friction in the drivetrain on my road bikes... while completely neglecting my hybrids. Waxed chains? Yes. Sealed bearing pulleys instead of sintered bearings? Definitely. But can I even be bothered to wash my hybrid once a year? Nah. Because the MAMIL urge cannot be denied.
Old 03-14-20, 01:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 11021 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 563 Posts
Can you feel the resistance once you install the crank arms?

My guess is you won't even feel the added resistance once you hop on the bike and start pedalling, and it likely will loosen up more as you do the first thousand miles or so.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-14-20, 04:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 485 Posts
Sunlites in my experience have more resistance than shimano units. I found that by threading the cups at the same time (rather than threading one and then the other), the resistance was reduced but certainly not eliminated.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-14-20, 06:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 308 Posts
Seal drag is common to all cartridge bearings and most pronounced when new. The good news is that it will decrease over time, and even when new is insignificant when under load.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-14-20, 07:21 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 29 Posts
+1 to John above. In my experience how tightly the cups are installed can also effect the amount of drag. I aim for tight but have backed off the cups a bit to decrease drag.

Though I agree that such drag is probably insignificant, most of us still worship at the altar of smooth bearings.
Likes For jethin:
Old 03-14-20, 07:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 446 Posts
I concur. All sealed cartridge bearings have more friction than properly adjusted cup and cone ball bearings. The difference is particularly noticeable as stiction, the friction that has to be overcome to start movement. Once movement starts the difference in friction reduces and while still higher than a traditional bottom bracket, it is so small as to be undetectable during riding. This increased friction is the trade-off for reduced maintenance.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-14-20, 10:16 AM
polymorphself 

Awesome all thanks so much for the replies. Sounds like im good to go and need to wait until I’ve got the cranks on.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 03-14-20, 10:49 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Sunlites in my experience have more resistance than shimano units. I found that by threading the cups at the same time (rather than threading one and then the other), the resistance was reduced but certainly not eliminated.
This. Add: they are sensitive to the torque, with almost no sweet spot. But it's there.

Old 03-14-20, 11:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 217 Posts
With a Shimano UN26 available for $10 on line, I can't imagine buying a Sunlite unit. UN26 is a quality BB, just heavier than a UN5x. Functionally it is fine.
Old 03-14-20, 11:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 485 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
With a Shimano UN26 available for $10 on line, I can't imagine buying a Sunlite unit. UN26 is a quality BB, just heavier than a UN5x. Functionally it is fine.
If you need a 127.5 73 mm BB for an old MTB, sunlite units are pretty much the only way to go. It's what I used on my '92 Trek 950 for that reason.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-14-20, 12:22 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Bikes: 531st, Tange 2, Gilco, SLX/SPX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 66 Posts
I have one Sunlite that feels the same as a couple of my UN55s, all have slight drag but not much. I also have an IRD QB55 that has the least resistance by far, the heavy spot of the crank will swing back and forth a couple times at bottom center.
Old 03-14-20, 01:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Quoted: 6311 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 555 Posts
All of these responses make sense except that polymorphself said it's "very difficult" to turn. Without a torque wrench reading, we don't know what he means. Is it truly difficult to turn, or just harder than you expected?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-14-20, 05:33 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by noglider View Post
All of these responses make sense except that polymorphself said it's "very difficult" to turn. Without a torque wrench reading, we don't know what he means. Is it truly difficult to turn, or just harder than you expected?
I'm far from an expert, but I've got the cranks on now and it's much less alarming, but still seems stiff to me. I need to run by the LBS this week anyways so I'm gonna bring it to them and see what they say. I'll report back.
Old 03-14-20, 07:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin View Post
+1 to John above. In my experience how tightly the cups are installed can also effect the amount of drag. I aim for tight but have backed off the cups a bit to decrease drag.
I guess I've got 3 bikes with cartridge BB's with square taper axles. I've seen issues on one bike regarding the cup "tightness" affecting the shaft drag. The other two really don't show any sensitivity.
On the one bike that does show the problem, I swapped out the cartridge, thinking that it must be the problem. Nope.. the new one did the same thing. My best guess is that the shell wasn't threaded straight (the other bikes are custom frames and presumably got more TLC during manufacture).
One factor is that these are all Shimano UN-71 BBs. A lower quality cartridge might behave differently.

somewhat tangential to the original question.... after pulling out the cartridge that I thought might be bad, I decided to open it up. It had 15,000 miles on it, and I wasn't sure how long it would last. It turned out that the bearings and races were in perfect shape! It probably could have lasted at least another 15k miles at a minimum...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-15-20, 06:26 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 149 Posts
Does this bottom bracket's resistance suddenly appear when the unit is installed?

Something could be out of tolerance.
I installed a RaceFace sqare-taper "taper lock" bottom bracket that tightens up when the second cup is tightened. Something definitely wrong with it.