Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I-8 through the Sonoran Desert.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I-8 through the Sonoran Desert.

Old 03-17-20, 09:47 AM
  #76  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,083

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 76 Posts
Great thread. I am jealous of Your 'social distancing' :-)
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 12:58 PM
  #77  
stardognine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,547

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 225 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus View Post
Great thread. I am jealous of Your 'social distancing' :-)
Ha, good one. 😁 Itís actually working out pretty good for me. Way less traffic to contend with, when most folks are staying home. 👍

I got the heck out of the San Diego area, after all, but did grab a couple gigantic slices of good pizza, in Little Italy. 😘

I came up through La Jolla & Torrey Pines, and Iím on Highway 101 now, aka El Camino Real. Itís kinda hard to get lost now, lol, so the phone is way less important now. 😉

Yesterday afternoon, it was sunny & around 65 F, & I was sitting at La Jolla Shores watching girls in bikinis trying to distract me. 😎 It wasnít too bad, but I was trying to eat a burrito, that turned out to be kinda messy. Letís just say, you shouldnít try to eat a messy burrito, when half-nekkid women are running loose. 😁😉

Today, Itís been raining since I got up, around 6:30 (?), and kinda chilly. Iím now at a state park in Cardiff-By-The-Sea, recharging my phone & battery in a public bathroom, lol. 🙄 Itís not as bad as it sounds, these bathrooms are clean & modern, not like most public ones.
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-18-20, 02:01 PM
  #78  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,083

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 76 Posts
I know that state park! I was there on vacation 15 years ago 👍👍
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 03:19 AM
  #79  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 4,822

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
Ha, good one. 😁 Itís actually working out pretty good for me. Way less traffic to contend with, when most folks are staying home. 👍

I got the heck out of the San Diego area, after all, but did grab a couple gigantic slices of good pizza, in Little Italy. 😘

I came up through La Jolla & Torrey Pines, and Iím on Highway 101 now, aka El Camino Real. Itís kinda hard to get lost now, lol, so the phone is way less important now. 😉

Yesterday afternoon, it was sunny & around 65 F, & I was sitting at La Jolla Shores watching girls in bikinis trying to distract me. 😎 It wasnít too bad, but I was trying to eat a burrito, that turned out to be kinda messy. Letís just say, you shouldnít try to eat a messy burrito, when half-nekkid women are running loose. 😁😉

Today, Itís been raining since I got up, around 6:30 (?), and kinda chilly. Iím now at a state park in Cardiff-By-The-Sea, recharging my phone & battery in a public bathroom, lol. 🙄 Itís not as bad as it sounds, these bathrooms are clean & modern, not like most public ones.
musta been landini's. solid thin crust/ny style pizza,
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 03:21 AM
  #80  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 4,822

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 200 Posts
latest news is that california state park campgrounds are closed until further notice. given the craziness going on and the lack of management/oversite/response, your results may vary...

Last edited by ooga-booga; 03-19-20 at 03:26 AM.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 08:36 AM
  #81  
stardognine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,547

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 225 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
latest news is that california state park campgrounds are closed until further notice. given the craziness going on and the lack of management/oversite/response, your results may vary...
I still havenít seen any State Park campgrounds, but the beaches were definitely open yesterday. Iím in Oceanside now, and was not allowed to ride through Camp Pendletonís main gate this morning. 🙁 A google brought me to BFís Southern Cal subforum, to confirm my best option is I-5.

I donít mind that at all, but I think Iíll do it tomorrow, when itís not raining. 🙄😉
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 08:48 AM
  #82  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,083

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 76 Posts
Is the traffic lighter than usual? (if You have any reference points to compare)
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 02:16 PM
  #83  
stardognine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,547

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 225 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus View Post
Is the traffic lighter than usual? (if You have any reference points to compare)
No idea what ďusualĒ traffic is like here. You have to remember, Iím just a dumb hick from Pennsylvania. 😁😉

I took off again after all, because I found a great deal on yesterdayís spare ribs & lemon pound cake, in a small grocery store/deli. Heck, the ribs were still warm, in one of those warmer cases, how could I not buy some? 😁 I almost had to wrestle an older Asian lady for the ribs, but we settled for 2 packages apiece. 😁

At the first rest area North of Oceanside, I was testing the pound cake, to make sure it was safe to eat, when a whole herd of these birds came along. I think these are the same type of Tanagers I saw, way back around Yuma (?), and had no idea what they were then. They werenít shy, a couple came right up to me, panhandling for cake crumbs. 😎

stardognine is offline  
Old 03-19-20, 02:20 PM
  #84  
stardognine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,547

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 225 Times in 166 Posts
I meant to say, if you look closely, these guys have a big orange band with yellow borders, under their wings. Sitting on the ground, you can barely see a little, but when they flap their wings, you see a whole lot of bright orange, with that yellow outline. 🙂

BTW, if you look again, youíll see a goofy squirrel, trying to trick me out of cake. 😉 I didnít even see him, when I took the pic, but did afterwards.

Last edited by stardognine; 03-19-20 at 02:24 PM.
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 09:17 PM
  #85  
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 3,286

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
I meant to say, if you look closely, these guys have a big orange band with yellow borders, under their wings. Sitting on the ground, you can barely see a little, but when they flap their wings, you see a whole lot of bright orange, with that yellow outline. 🙂

BTW, if you look again, youíll see a goofy squirrel, trying to trick me out of cake. 😉 I didnít even see him, when I took the pic, but did afterwards.
Those look like the normal Red-Winged Blackbird we have here in the Midwest.. BUT there is a sub-variation in Costal California called the Tri-colored Blackbird. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...d_Blackbird/id
__________________
'75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 52k+ miles and still going!
'84 Univega Gran Tourismo
'84 Univega Viva Sport
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Cougrrcj is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.