Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Low Q-Factor Cranks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Low Q-Factor Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 02:12 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Low Q-Factor Cranks

I just built up a rain bike with Campy Triomphe cranks and I was kinda surprised with the Q-factor when I first hopped on. It was so much narrower that I readjusted my cleats (SPD-SL) to nearly straight. After the ride, I decided that I want my other bikes to feel the same. I'm looking for preferably non-Campy cranks. It must be silver, have 170mm arms, and look appropriate on a mid-80s bike, but the rest is optional. Niceties would be 110bcd and JIS square tapers. What are some good options?
Old 03-26-20, 02:19 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
All the t.a. clones with 50.4 bcd are pretty narrow but the are not 110 of course.
Old 03-26-20, 02:39 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
All the t.a. clones with 50.4 bcd are pretty narrow but the are not 110 of course.
It doesn't have to be 110bcd, but my issue with 50.4 cranks is their lack of stiffness. They also would look out of place on a sporty machine.
Old 03-26-20, 02:53 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
It doesn't have to be 110bcd, but my issue with 50.4 cranks is their lack of stiffness. They also would look out of place on a sporty machine.
i understand on both counts. Personally i am not very sporty.
Old 03-26-20, 02:54 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Isn't there a 110mm bcd adapter available for the 50.4mm bcd cranks?
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 03-26-20, 02:57 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Isn't there a 110mm bcd adapter available for the 50.4mm bcd cranks?
yes, the new suntour makes it.
Old 03-26-20, 02:57 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
It is kind of funny... Campagnolo touts its low Q-factor. last time i went for a bike fit, the guy wanted to sell me 1cm standoffs for the pedal, but he couldn't come up with hollow ones that would allow a 8 mm Allen wrench in. he said, your feet should be as wide as your hips, just like when walking or running.
so not sure who is correct on this issue. I felt OK either way, as with most bike fit things... I feel like i have a big range of tolerance.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-26-20, 02:59 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

https://www.veloduo.co.uk/products/s...-cyclotouriste
Old 03-26-20, 03:01 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by mgopack42
It is kind of funny... Campagnolo touts its low Q-factor. last time i went for a bike fit, the guy wanted to sell me 1cm standoffs for the pedal, but he couldn't come up with hollow ones that would allow a 8 mm Allen wrench in. he said, your feet should be as wide as your hips, just like when walking or running.
so not sure who is correct on this issue. I felt OK either way, as with most bike fit things... I feel like i have a big range of tolerance.
i worked in a shop where they did fittings. It was pointless for me. The form they are chasing just doesnt work for everyone. I always want my seat higher and bars closer than they want me to have.
Old 03-26-20, 03:03 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Sugino Mighty Tour.

On my '79 Fuji America, they use an asymmetric spindle to achieve a ~142mm q-factor in triple configuration. It's glorious.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 03-26-20, 03:10 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by mgopack42
It is kind of funny... Campagnolo touts its low Q-factor. last time I went for a bike fit, the guy wanted to sell me 1cm standoffs for the pedal, but he couldn't come up with hollow ones that would allow a 8 mm Allen wrench in. He said, your feet should be as wide as your hips, just like when walking or running.
so not sure who is correct on this issue. I felt OK either way, as with most bike fit things... I feel like I have a big range of tolerance.
I'm a stereotypical lightweight cyclist build. 135lbs as of right now, so I have narrow hips. I wear 30w32l jeans in a tapered design. At the same time, I've had triple cranksets and didn't mind their width too much. What I do mind is having to adjust my cleats every time I want to ride a different bike. I could go wider, yes, but I prefer narrower where possible.
Old 03-26-20, 03:14 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Sugino Mighty Tour.

On my '79 Fuji America, they use an asymmetric spindle to achieve a ~142mm q-factor in triple configuration. It's glorious.
Is there something similar without the fluting? I'm also not against 130bcd.
Old 03-26-20, 03:19 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CSHOCN...retro-crankset

Old 03-26-20, 03:49 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm a stereotypical lightweight cyclist build. 135lbs as of right now, so I have narrow hips. I wear 30w32l jeans in a tapered design. At the same time, I've had triple cranksets and didn't mind their width too much. What I do mind is having to adjust my cleats every time I want to ride a different bike. I could go wider, yes, but I prefer narrower where possible.
Use a shoe/pedal system with floating cleats.
Old 03-26-20, 03:55 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
i worked in a shop where they did fittings. It was pointless for me. The form they are chasing just doesnt work for everyone. I always want my seat higher and bars closer than they want me to have.
The commonly accepted fitting practices are only meant to get you "into the ballpark" for the average anatomy. A good fitter will know hat to look for and ask the right questions, to get the feedback necessary to fine tune the position for the individual.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-26-20, 03:57 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Use a shoe/pedal system with floating cleats.
I'm using the SPD-SL system with yellow cleats.
Old 03-26-20, 07:41 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts
my issue with 50.4 cranks is their lack of stiffness. They also would look out of place on a sporty machine.
Tell it to all those guys who won the Tour de France, and most every other race in the world, on those flexy, un-sporty 50.4 cranks! But fashions change, and riders get stronger (apparently). Stiff enough for Coppi or Anquetil isn't stiff enough anymore, for today's sporty riders.

TA Pro 5-vis might be the all-time Q champ, but the crank is so close to the outer chainring that you have to use a vintage front derailer with a flat outer cage plate, no 3-D shaping allowed.

The old Campy Record got more space there in 1978, so look for pre-'78 cranksets if you want the lowest-Q in a Campy. Again, only flat-cage derailers work. Also the pre-'78 spindles were shorter, so mixing years of crank ans spindle can cause chainline to be non-standard. Useful sometimes, if you want the chainline narrower say (post-'78 crank on a pre-'78 spindle). Or a wider chainline, like if your inner chainring hits the chainstay (pre-'78 crank on a post-'78 spindle).

Example, on Battaglin's Pinarello he used to win the Giro in '81, his mechanic mounted a pre-'78 crank on a post-'78 titanium Super Record spindle, which allowed use of a triple chainring. Yes, triples in the TdF! There never was a Super Record spindle in triple length, but they squeezed a triple in there for the Tre Cime mountain stage where he sewed up the win. It also required an abnormally-deep indent in the chainstay, check it out:

Also of note is the "Mexico" treatment on the cranks -- anodizing removed, all edges radiused, and a high polish. This bike has many fancy touches like that. Columbus KL tubing too, very light for those days. The "drillium" on the inner ring is surprisingly crude though. They didn't even deburr the edges of the holes they drilled. Might have run out of time, drilled the night before the race or some such?

Pinarello has a bike in their "museum" that they claim is the Tre Cime bike, but it isn't, many details are different. At least one magazine was fooled, wrote a whole article about the bike not knowing it's the wrong one. The pic above is the real one, confirmed by race-day photos.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-26-20, 08:34 PM
T-Mar

I'm using the SPD-SL system with yellow cleats.
If that's not enough to cover the range you need, you may want to investigate other systems. Look has up to 50% more float. Most Speedplay systems have at least 150% more float
Old 03-27-20, 03:03 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
The modern T.A. Carmina crankset may look good on a vintage racer, I guess. Not cheap but endless chainring possibilities double or triple per the spider.
Old 03-27-20, 07:25 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by CMAW
The modern T.A. Carmina crankset may look good on a vintage racer, I guess. Not cheap but endless chainring possibilities double or triple per the spider.
i love the ability to go 94/58 5 pin. I use an old sugino in that format on my bob jackson world tourist. Easy to get low gears!
Old 03-27-20, 08:06 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by T-Mar
If that's not enough to cover the range you need, you may want to investigate other systems. Look has up to 50% more float. Most Speedplay systems have at least 150% more float
I'm going to try this. I'll average the cleat position over the next week and see how much more float I need.
Old 03-27-20, 10:32 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
[QUOTE=bulgie;21385506]Tell it to all those guys who won the Tour de France, and most every other race in the world, on those flexy, un-sporty 50.4 cranks! But fashions change, and riders get stronger (apparently). Stiff enough for Coppi or Anquetil isn't stiff enough anymore, for today's sporty riders.

Modern riders are no stronger than Coppi or Anquetil. The way we ride now is very different. Joe Clubrider who is JRA in a 53x11 may well be using higher torque than Coppi climbing the Tourmalet. The torque will expose the lack of rigidity in the TA crank.

I grew up in the era when every coach still told the young riders to avoid pedal pressure. Kids who had suddenly hypertrophied calf muscles would be mercilessly ridiculed. If you had big calves obviously you were ignoring coach and hitting big gears. “Avoid pedal pressure” just sounds meaningless to moderns. How do you get up the hill without pedal pressure? Well, you can, you just never learned. In Coppi’s day, in the time of racers on TA cranks, they studied pedaling mechanics and practiced pedaling style. Now we just shift up and then shift up some more. And complain of spinning out on antique gears of 53x12.

So so a vintage bike requires vintage pedaling style? Yes it does. It may be rideable if you operate it like a modern bike, it won’t have vintage feel at all. Of course pedaling style is never ever discussed. Let’s go one more time around with ISO and JIS or have a chain lube thread instead.

Most flexible enough to complain about TA cranks I have examined have the chainring bolts hopelessly bollixed up. The chainring is bent and bending because the bolts are incorrect and not doing anything. Impossible to explain this to someone who wants “bulletproof”.

For seriously narrow pedaling stance use steel cranks.

110 bcd on a 1980s bike does not look sporty. It looks like an MTB.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 03-27-20, 11:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

[QUOTE=63rickert;21386285]
Originally Posted by bulgie
Tell it to all those guys who won the Tour de France, and most every other race in the world, on those flexy, un-sporty 50.4 cranks! But fashions change, and riders get stronger (apparently). Stiff enough for Coppi or Anquetil isn't stiff enough anymore, for today's sporty riders.

Modern riders are no stronger than Coppi or Anquetil. The way we ride now is very different. Joe Clubrider who is JRA in a 53x11 may well be using higher torque than Coppi climbing the Tourmalet. The torque will expose the lack of rigidity in the TA crank.

I grew up in the era when every coach still told the young riders to avoid pedal pressure. Kids who had suddenly hypertrophied calf muscles would be mercilessly ridiculed. If you had big calves obviously you were ignoring coach and hitting big gears. “Avoid pedal pressure” just sounds meaningless to moderns. How do you get up the hill without pedal pressure? Well, you can, you just never learned. In Coppi’s day, in the time of racers on TA cranks, they studied pedaling mechanics and practiced pedaling style. Now we just shift up and then shift up some more. And complain of spinning out on antique gears of 53x12.

So so a vintage bike requires vintage pedaling style? Yes it does. It may be rideable if you operate it like a modern bike, it won’t have vintage feel at all. Of course pedaling style is never ever discussed. Let’s go one more time around with ISO and JIS or have a chain lube thread instead.

Most flexible enough to complain about TA cranks I have examined have the chainring bolts hopelessly bollixed up. The chainring is bent and bending because the bolts are incorrect and not doing anything. Impossible to explain this to someone who wants “bulletproof”.

For seriously narrow pedaling stance use steel cranks.

110 bcd on a 1980s bike does not look sporty. It looks like an MTB.
well said.

I wont claim to be any kind of athlete, i tour and commute in an upright fashion but spinning is so much easier, which is why my top gear on my touring bike is a seldom used 90 inches. My bottom gears are as low as i can make them. Generally sub 20. I dont have a cadence meter but i know i am generally spinning faster than most folks i see. I also have more leg extension. For me at 63 the whole project relies on protecting the joints and going at my own pace. In my world t.a. cranks and their 50.4mm brothers are way more than stiff enough.