Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Schmiegle's Silver Surfer Build

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Schmiegle's Silver Surfer Build

Old 07-21-16, 09:19 AM
Schmiegle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
There is also a dude in the C&V forum named RealSteel. He has a thread specifically about electroplating some forks at home. He's like a DIY scientist type guy. He communicates very well and discussed hydrogen embrittlement. He could probably help you to get answers too.

Too many chemicals and volts for my brain

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...arts-home.html
Whoa! That guy has got some solid chutzpah! I like it!

But I'm going to send it out for finish after I fully prep the structure (getting closer errrrr day!). Not going to build up a rolling pre-assembly until every last bit of area has been prepped.

I want a flawless finish and don't care to mess up the brazing in the initial chemical clean and subsequent dips. Great thread though!
Old 07-21-16, 09:45 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Schmiegle
Whoa! That guy has got some solid chutzpah! I like it! !
And how!

This is the kinda stuff he does. He wasn't happy with the seat post/saddle bolt one on of his restorations. So what does he do?

and cleaned up the shank, reduced the head depth and dimpled it (if that's the word I want...). It was then trimmed to 45 mm and polished to a high shine:

He has also anodize some pieces at home.
Old 07-21-16, 11:29 AM
Schmiegle

Nice! I've been contemplating what to do about the seat post bolt. Bought some 6mm and 8mm bolts but that just doesn't feel right. Campagnolo has some vintage ones I think I can pick up on eBay...? That'd match the front skewer nicely but not align with the original PX10 build exactly.
Old 09-19-16, 08:02 AM
Schmiegle

UPDATE:

The past few weeks have been a bit slow moving due to a few Lessons Learned

1. Paper filter masks are acceptable for the Dremel mechanical stripping of paint, outside, but insufficient for alternating hand sanding / MEK wipe down of Steel, inside... I had been working over top of my 20" x 30" A/C return vent, changing filters often with gloves, mask, & safety glasses but the residual aroma of MEK on rags was too much. I noticed a SMALL bit of lung irritation and stopped all work for a while. Back to normal now with a couple working ammendments.

-Close the cap on the MEK immendiatly after rag application.
-Dispose of rag well away from working area.
-Upgrade to high end mask.

NOTE: MEK is a harsh but effective chemical. Use with EXTREME caution!

2. I've probably put in 10 hours of hand sanding with 60 grit aluminum oxide paper to eliminate the micro finish deviations induced by the Dremel.

It's really coming along as I estimate I'm about 90% complete with the 60 grit hand sanding.
I hope to be on to the 120, 300, & 400 later this week!

3. All final parts are on order, including one special seat post bolt and skewer set...
I'm trying to have the finish completely done prior to pre-assembly.
Now that everything is en route, it's a bit of incentive to get goin'!

I did do a mock up to give y'all something to look at!

Schmiegle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0337.jpg (95.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0340.jpg (93.7 KB, 324 views)
Old 10-07-16, 08:52 AM
Schmiegle

DADDY'S GOT A NEW PAIR O' SHOES!

With the nice weather quickly transitioning away, I got the urge to get the bike assembled and riding. To do that, I had to find a workable brake solution. As the realization that the current MAFAC brake status was not going to allow me to "just replace the pads"...

Options began to be brain stormed...

1. Medium length Side pull modern brake? Out due to a multitude of factors. Looks, performance, price, all just seemed like a quick fix and not in line with the concept of my vision.

2. Paul Comp Medium Racers. Pretty machines parts. Performance second to none of the center pulls? A bit pricy. I might already have too much Paul Components incorporated anyway.

3. Did some more digging and found a set of Compass brakes! Look great, priced nicely. Not sure on performance & toe adjustment.

4. Polished MAFAC and full refurb kit. Least costly. Classic look. Performance better than side pulls if I can "adjust" the toe angle with a bit of hand pressured coercion!

I chose option 4 as this seemed like the best overall option for price, looks, and performance. If toe angle causes too much SQUAWKING, maybe I'll replace with PC but I really do like how these turned out! Silky smooth after wet installing the brass bushings. Chrome-Moly coated hardware is slick! Love the brass washers over the red BAKE-O-LITE original plastic inserts.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg
Likes For Schmiegle:
Old 10-07-16, 10:47 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Fantastic!
Old 10-07-16, 01:26 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Looks nice, will sparkle in the sun.
Old 10-07-16, 01:45 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I gotta start off by telling you that I am not ordinarily too into self-indulgent, long-winded, step-by-step "watch me fixie-fy instead of refurbish/restore an old survivor" threads. Especially from someone who seems to have some knowledge, skills, tools, and most importantly...cash

But that being said - I do admire your patience and stick-to-it-iveness, and it will be interesting to see your final result - keep having fun and good luck...
Old 10-07-16, 02:21 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I gotta start off by telling you that I am not ordinarily too into self-indulgent, long-winded, step-by-step "watch me fixie-fy instead of refurbish/restore an old survivor" threads. Especially from someone who seems to have some knowledge, skills, tools, and most importantly...cash

But that being said - I do admire your patience and stick-to-it-iveness, and it will be interesting to see your final result - keep having fun and good luck...
HAH! :-) While I admit, the outrageous nature of the build is a BIT over the top and indulgent, my only intention with the thread is to have some fun documenting my progress and produce something truly unique. All of my local friends are excited to see my progress as I've been dreaming and talking about this build for the last 3 years. Hope my posts don't come across as obnoxious but rather a fun story where readers are willing to be strung along a BIT!

Eventually I'd like to have a smooth ride that is an upgrade from my Giant Talon 29er I just sold... eeeek!

Maybe this is merely an excercise in learning to work metal while exploring the range of my intestinal fortitude. I have about 20-25 hours in Dremel of working the frame and fork and another 20+ hours in hand sanding. Probably still another 15-20 to get the frame in final prep condition. If the final result doesn't meet expectations, I'll just hang it on the wall, slap a price on it, and wait till an art buyer is interested! ;-P

All good! Thanks for the encouragement! :-D
Old 10-07-16, 03:21 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
If I read one of your earlier posts correctly - a copper-plated frame like you mentioned sounds very cool and I once actually gave a thought about doing that myself to a rawed SS/FG frame I had.

But...how many of your "local friends are excited to see my progress as I've been dreaming and talking about this build for the last 3 years" are real and/or knowledgeable vintage bike buffs? Did you ever ask in any Pug interwebz or FB groups?

I don't get french bikes myself, but a PX-10 is not just any run-of-the-mill old bike. For your dream build, did you really have to have a very sought-after bike that many others, especially vintage francophiles, would have given their left nut to have a shot at restoring, no matter where it was discovered and whatever its condition? And now there is one less of them...

OK, so sorry for letting my retro-grouch out on you, sorry to preach, and its too late now anyway...so good luck and enjoy
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 10-07-16, 06:27 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by IAmSam
If I read one of your earlier posts correctly - a copper-plated frame like you mentioned sounds very cool and I once actually gave a thought about doing that myself to a rawed SS/FG frame I had.

But...how many of your "local friends are excited to see my progress as I've been dreaming and talking about this build for the last 3 years" are real and/or knowledgeable vintage bike buffs? Did you ever ask in any Pug interwebz or FB groups?

I don't get french bikes myself, but a PX-10 is not just any run-of-the-mill old bike. For your dream build, did you really have to have a very sought-after bike that many others, especially vintage francophiles, would have given their left nut to have a shot at restoring, no matter where it was discovered and whatever its condition? And now there is one less of them...

OK, so sorry for letting my retro-grouch out on you, sorry to preach, and its too late now anyway...so good luck and enjoy

No problems with the "retro-grouch" perspective! I get the restoration vs custom arguement. And to be honest I figured I would be flammed a whole lot harder than I have. Despite most of our own ego-centric perspective, this isn't being built for YOU but it is for ME!

As for the decision to **** and pillage THIS PX10, I was looking for a few things:

"Soft" Reynolds 531 Steel frame for the ride comfort, vehicle dynamics, ultimate strength.
- Subsequent recipies of steel were less ductile or rather flexy as a steel frame.
- Also 531 is one of the best recipes of steel to resist hydrogen embrittlement from the electroplating process.
- One of my buddies suggested a custom frame but I wasn't willing to do that for the cost of getting a custom run of 531 lugged and brazed. Beyond my price range and this one was FREE.

Horizontal dropouts for the FG/SS build.

Repairable damage / Questionable paint
- So much so that I felt I MIGHT be risking a structurally unsound frame anyway, possibly needing tube replacement.
- if that was the case, the potential for anyone, noob, custom, or restoration expert still wouldn't have much interest in, makes the potential market size for someone willing to do a full restoration, VERY small.
- By that logic I really wasn't taking a potential bike off the market for full restoration and lastly, there are PX-10s out there to be bought at the right price (READ: the market isn't paying in testicles), it wasn't THAT rare of a bike.
-Had I bought a running version of a PX10 and dismantled it, THAT would have been bad form IMHO.

Up to this point I'm only able to salvage the brakes and MAYBE the headset. It feels a LITTLE sketch upon refurb and install. So in the end I spend $2k all in. Someone could have paid the same for a full restoration. Either way the bike lives on and the rider hopefully happy.

I get that riders that ride in the 70s, have a desire to "MAKE A PEUGEOT GREAT AGAIN!" but to my young ears thats one specific policy that's lacks practical substance...

Also, I miss my old 1995 Chromed Hoffman Big Daddy and 20" Hutch. I must have a racoon gene to be drawn to the shiney and needed something a bit faster!

Thought about the copper finish but that just didn't sound durable. The process I'm looking at should deposit 0.003"+ in copper, 0.003"+ Nickel, and a THIN final layer of chrome to give it that HYPER-BLUE chrome finish.

I like to think that if I was building bikes in the 1970's with today's technology, this is how I would have done it. And it's French, they did it their way. Why can't I?! In a round about way, I'm keeping with their tradition... LOL!

Hell, the original SIMPLEX seat post is toast with DEEP pitting. But, Just got the replacement in the mail today! Stay tuned...! :-D

ALL the best my friend! :-)

Michael
Old 10-08-16, 11:48 AM
IFPCL

Bikes: 2014 Salsa Colossal 2,1995 IndyFab Independence, 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine is also building up a brushed PX-10 with co op parts-bin stuff. It will be the rusty alter ego of this bike, I'll post it here when it's done.
Old 10-08-16, 07:02 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by IFPCL
A friend of mine is also building up a brushed PX-10 with co op parts-bin stuff. It will be the rusty alter ego of this bike, I'll post it here when it's done.
RIGHT ON! Post it up!

BTW First ride was today... and it was GOOD! :-)
Old 10-08-16, 09:54 PM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am really exited to watch this build up. Have you thought about something to keep the beautiful look/finish you have on it now? I know this has been discussed a lot in other threads about whether you can actually protect a frame from rust if you clear coat it.
Old 10-10-16, 07:52 AM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by Dougbloch
I am really exited to watch this build up. Have you thought about something to keep the beautiful look/finish you have on it now? I know this has been discussed a lot in other threads about whether you can actually protect a frame from rust if you clear coat it.
Thanks Doug!

I have been thinking about a fully polished path a bit lately as it could potentially save me a bunch of money AND match the entire finish of other parts (rims, brakes, seat post, handle bars).

To achieve the prep required for a polished surface, I'm thinking it would take a further 800, 2000, 4000 grit prep and possible multiple polishing compound applications.

With that said, in my painting / body shop experience (repairing truck bodies for Knapheide), surface prep prior to paint application is important. More is not always better. For paint to find a properly prepped surface to adhere to, the paint has to have something to bind to at microspocic levels. There is a balance between surface roughness (micro peaks and valleys) and how well a clear coat would adhere. I'm thinking that a fully polished 8000 grit surface prep would cause clear coat to bubble.

We don't clear coat the Gulfstream leading edges on the wings we build and that ALUMINUM produces a solid mirror finish. It just takes periodic work to maintain its brilliance...

I thought I read about a DuPont chemical etching process prior to clear coating that allowed a good surface prep while maintaining the mirror polished finish but I can't seem to find it on the internet. I'll keep digging.
Old 02-22-20, 02:19 PM
Schmiegle

***Zombie Thread Alert***

May 20th 2016, I started a project to restore a literally TRASHED Peugeot PX-10 into the brightest bit of bling one bloke could bring...

Never did not expect to take this long... I've even moved to a new location!

On 6/18/18, after ~100hrs in prep work and much the same parts/assembly/shop sourcing,
I had finally committed to a chrome finish after mulling a couple other options (PVD / Powdercoat / Paint) and very few interested chrome shops.
By the time I'd settled on chroming, very few chroming shops willing to take on the project remained in business.

So 8/5/2018 I sent the frame / fork off / Stronglight races to Advanced Plating in Tennessee.
If you gotta ask... it ain't cheap.
Contact them for a quote.

Shortly after I sent it to them, I received phone call with good/bad news.

The shop had burned down BUT my bike was across the street in another building/inventory.
I could take the bike back or wait until they built a brand new facility at a new location...
F' it! At this point, I'd had so much time and money invested, I said, I might as well wait.

Fast forward to February 5th, 2020 and a bunch of pestering emails later, I received this in the mail...

The vast majority of the frame is EXTREMELY reflective.
-Mesmerizing and deep TBH!
-Minimal blueing directly aft of the BB. The geometry there is extremely tight and I knew that was a risk.
-One of the locally brazed brake line ends on the top tube didn't QUITE get nickel/chromed.
-The rear seat bolt mount has another spot where the chrome didn't quite throw but there appears to be nickel so maybe that chipped in final assembly. :sigh:
-The final chroming was GREAT but not PERFECT but she's MINE...

Took the bike to a local vintage bike shop. Guys were GREAT! Excited to do the final build!
Upon inspection the handle bars had cracked so we replaced with a similar vintage.
Also, I've become aware of the AVA Death Stems and think I'm going to need to replace with a Velo Orange stem but I'm thinking that'll require a new headset and handle bars. Fuuuuuggggggggles.. Wonder if I should stop drill the corner area of stress concentration? hah!

Any ideas for what I can do instead of a full Velo Orange headset/stem/bars?

Picked the bike up last week and dropped my jaw! Super thrilled with the ride! Geared just tall enough for a downtown traintrack road bridge environment to get my breath going. 46-17 is what I settled on. Maybe go 46-16 at some point.

Needs a MAFAC brake lever spacer/washer between lever and lever mount if someone wants to help me out! :-D

It's funny seeing friends stare deeply into it, while chatting. Might just say a lot about "Mirror mirror on the wall"...

ATB,

Schmiegle

Likes For Schmiegle:
Old 02-22-20, 03:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Damn, that's a hell of a story. Looks really cool!
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 02-22-20, 03:58 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You could have got a chrome fixie from Bike Direct for only $500.

I'm kidding, your bike looks great!
Likes For tyrion:
Old 02-22-20, 06:28 PM
Schmiegle

TBH, I've been thinking about hanging the SS Schmiegle on the wall and buying this lil' guy as my commuter and to be thrashed around a bit...

Old 03-28-20, 07:15 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Love this. I’ve got a chrome rigid mtb that I’m slowly converting into a tourer and really wish that it had lugs to sparkle like that.

I just put a VO headset on my recently acquired 531 LeJeune as the original was fully indexed and a clean & repack did nothing to make it safe. Honestly, I’m now liking it more than my <2k miles Kona Roadhouse (probably at least a little due to my preference for flat-bottom drops). The VO headset would need to be polished to match your build, but that doesn’t seem beyond your capability at all.

Too late now, but I’m curious why, having had the frame stripped, you didn’t have someone braze on brake posts instead of relying on the bolt-on post bracket.

If your commute is under 10 miles, heck yes on the bmx. If your traffic is like mine, though- front brake.

Last edited by hsuBM; 03-28-20 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 03-28-20, 08:15 AM
JohnSnowNW

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Beautiful bike!
Likes For JohnSnowNW:
Old 03-29-20, 06:39 PM
Schmiegle

Originally Posted by hsuBM
Too late now, but I’m curious why, having had the frame stripped, you didn’t have someone braze on brake posts instead of relying on the bolt-on post bracket.
Ahhh YES, I did look into the brake posts! IIRC, the guy doing the brazing wasn't comfortable brazing the Rene Herse mounts on the seat stays due to the extra loading induced. Although I wanted it done, I yielded as I couldn't find anyone else to do the brazing.

Glad you like the build!

Last edited by Schmiegle; 03-29-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-29-20, 07:51 PM
Schmiegle

Here's a couple of pictures I took at the park the other day. :-)

Old 04-04-20, 09:33 PM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
dam... that is quite the ride!
Likes For somepetalhead:
Old 04-05-20, 10:53 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Wowza! I'd be scared to pass by this bike as I might go blind looking! Lovely job friend.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.