Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 03-24-20, 02:37 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by FlemmingM View Post
Those are very interesting photos! In the one of the Italian team I notice that they are using integrated shift/brake levers; thatís rare to see. Do you know the year of the photo? Also, it is an interesting combination of downtube and bar-end shifter on the MAPEI Colnago with the ITM handlebar. Again do you know the year of that photo?
My own Gazelle has been upgraded with a complete Shimano 600 group with the STI brifters and the same ITM handlebars. I was thinking of changing that to downtube or bar-end shifters and aero brake levers, but I might just run it as is for now.
Okay, it was not easy to get that info for you on the date of the photo of the Italian team but the elves that work here in TT Land hate to disappoint (yes folks I might be going a little crazy but who can blame me in the circumstances). On an Italian website I found out the picture was taken in 1993 at the Oslo World Cup and the Italian team won gold! So there yah go.

The date of the other photo was easy. The claim is that it was taken during the Tour De France in 1996 and that the rider is Tony Rominger. I thought that seemed a little late for the bike that it is but I am sure I am wrong. Thanks for the compliment on the photos I posted. And welcome to TT Land and please post some color pictures of vintage time trial bikes you like and your Gazelle. All Best.....

Tony Rominger in the leader's jersey of the 1994 Vuelta a Espana

Tony going for the victory in the Giro de Italia of 1995
Old 03-24-20, 03:00 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Lattz View Post
Oh man, these Battaglins are haunting me... beautiful bikes. My brother is a Battaglin rider, and I played with the idea to get one random cheap Battaglin just to ride together (he got infected with road biking when I bought my first Bianchi) on Battaglins, as the "celeste brand" is more expensive, so the other way around would be challenging.
Many nice road bikes popped up in the local classifieds for so low prices, I'd have bought all of them just to save them, but I can hardly sleep, since we have 2 of these online for a rather modest price (~EUR500) of course no Campa, and no disc wheels, but hey, no one can look beside this frame. It's like an affordable Moser La Hora for the not-knowers. Its also nice to see, how they repositioned themselves lately, and choose to break out from "once upon a time big name, now low-mid class bike maker" to boutique brand ensuring that the best possible handcrafted bikes coming out from their hands without compromises to quality.
Thanks for the compliment. Yeah they are beautiful bikes...I have to agree. But the top one proves how important disc wheels are and saddles too for the look of the bike. Those yellow Mavic Challenger disc wheels are killer! And the same can be said for the pink Concor saddle.

The frame on the second Battaglin is super cool with neat paint scheme but the killer Cinelli matching saddle and bar tape add a lot.

And let me remind you of this one I posted not long ago:

I would say that was impressive.
Old 03-25-20, 09:35 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 80s Somec Special 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , ; previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 115 Posts
If its Battaglin day, let them rain!!!

These are the two we have over here in the classifieds. The grey one appeared a few months ago (so insomnia is going on for a while now), the pink is a new addition. Loads of potential in both (pics:ebay).

The pink is really eye popping for cool girls maybe, but it's not for me, to be honest without all the shiny paint and high end parts they might not look a lot more than just a simple, uncomfortable bicycle. Even though the whole style of this pink one is not me, I give a plus for the matching Selle SMP (the color, not the shape) and the bartape. This bike is just quickly rattle-canned, and still look a lot more than the first one by these two things.

But colors (minus the chromed one) and parts are for the help!!! The original Carrera livery was really beautiful in my opinion, and on the steel-vintage one, the Shimano Tricolor 600 might not be C-Record, but a big step up from the 105 and Aris on the prev. 2, sweeeet (pics: steel-vintage)!

Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-25-20, 10:18 AM
VintageTTfan

If its Battaglin day, let them rain!!! These are the two we have over here in the classifieds. The grey one appeared a few months ago (so insomnia is going on for a while now), the pink is a new addition. Loads of potential in both (pics:ebay).

The pink is really eye popping for cool girls maybe, but it's not for me, to be honest without all the shiny paint and high end parts they might not look a lot more than just a simple, uncomfortable bicycle. Even though the whole style of this pink one is not me, I give a plus for the matching Selle SMP (the color, not the shape) and the bartape. This bike is just quickly rattle-canned, and still look a lot more than the first one by these two things.But colors (minus the chromed one) and parts are for the help!!! The original Carrera livery was really beautiful in my opinion, and on the steel-vintage one, the Shimano Tricolor 600 might not be C-Record, but a big step up from the 105 and Aris on the prev. 2, sweeeet (pics: steel-vintage)!
Those are nice bikes but are they the right size for you or your brother? Bikes like that rarely show up in the United States. They probably are rare in Germany too. I usually hate redo paint jobs and the paint on these too is not so good and looks low quality to me. However, that does not mean they are not wonderful bikes with real potential. I would either go for high quality chrome plating which is probably very expensive or a very high quality paint job by a professional which is also very very expensive. The kind of paint jobs I love are very intricate (like what they did on SOMEC and Daccordi) and there are few in the world that could even do that kind of paint work anymore that would still look vintage. So I would have to go high quality chrome plating like some of the bikes in Post # 940, I especially like the chrome and the look of that Colnago which is fantastic looking...here it is to refresh your memory:

If anyone in the forum is an expert on chrome plating, the cost to have it done, and the different quality levels, please make a post on it here. And if you know the history of chrome plating or anything about it include that please. Chrome would look fantastic on the two Battaglins you posted to replace the awful paint on them.

The pink saddle and bar tape are cool but would only look good on certain bikes though. Colors have to work together and not clash obviously. I like the name carving on the fork.

So in conclusion, those are two great bikes that are very cool (with bad paint jobs) and thanks for posting them....your taste in bikes is really good.....like your love for SOMEC and Takhion.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 03-25-20 at 10:28 AM.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 03-25-20, 10:59 AM
VintageTTfan

Ooooooh Laaaaah frickin Laaaaaah! I want this. Some will hate it....say it is too colorful.......overdone.......too wild........and that is fine.......they can go huff grey paint from a spray can for all I care.......this is when Jimi Hendrix made the blues technicolor. This is "Wild thing.....you make my heart sing!....by the Troggs. Those wheels,,,,,the frame......the paint.......Now I just need to sell my car and steal the cars from my family members to be able to afford this........
Old 03-25-20, 01:37 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 80s Somec Special 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , ; previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
So in conclusion, those are two great bikes that are very cool (with bad paint jobs) and thanks for posting them....your taste in bikes is really good.....like your love for SOMEC and Takhion.
Thanks. There would have been a Part two posting, (which I will do right after this). Just a side note, these two are "real life" versions of the dreams many of us are chasing. For many, it's easy to got to Steel Vintage, Cicli Berlinetta or or similar companies and fork out a few thousand euros for nice bikes, but let's face it, for the most not. With road bikes its easier to fake the feeling (if thats what someone likes, not me) with a somewhat similar painting and a decal set, but you cant fake a lopro frame (will come back to this with 2 awesome pics, remind me if I'd forget). And these are not even fakes, these are the real things, ugly as they are... (hell, they are horrid, I wrote a long line just to "praise" the pink rattlecan but decided to remove it, as one half of me understands the guy/girl, who might made at least somewhat good looking from hopefully trash - rot in hell if you oversprayed a Carrera painting, even if it was bad!!! on top i write way too long posts). If a guy like me (close to 0 budget) would get one of these most likely the next rattlecan paint (I said like me, not me), or the "next corner" car painter is waiting for them. If one of the aforementioned companies or similars would get them, they could easilly invest 4-800 EUR in nice painting, and a few hundred on a normal groupset and bang! the 500 eur bike costing like 1200-1500 is readily available for buying for close to 3k (theoretical, these days are just about to be over as I said earlier in a post). Or someone just buys them for the garage shelf, because once the current crisis is long gone, these will worth way over 500 eur even as-is. These are not dream bikes, just a step closer to those.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-25-20 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-25-20, 02:56 PM
Lattz

BATTAGLIN - PART II.

VintageTTfan as said, the stream didn't stop at the lower end, I just had to run shopping. So now the higher end of the non-original side of the world. Nice paint or chrome eh?
(pics from Pedalroom)

No serious Italian bike anything racing related brand can exist without at least one thing "dipped" in the beloved Rosso Corsa. I personally like it, but we're not all the same, for some its too extrovert, while for others its dull compared to some other artistic colorful works on IT bikes.

I always thought, that red+black or red+white always works.

So move on to the other... hmmmmm lovely... I don't know how big this frame is compared to the prev. ones, but the slpe of the TT looks more dramatic somehow.

Both are simple yet elegant (AND EYE POPPING!!!!)
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-25-20, 10:39 PM
VintageTTfan

BATTAGLIN - PART II.

VintageTTfan as said, the stream didn't stop at the lower end, I just had to run shopping. So now the higher end of the non-original side of the world. Nice paint or chrome eh?
(pics from Pedalroom)
So move on to the other... hmmmmm lovely... I don't know how big this frame is compared to the prev. ones, but the slpe of the TT looks more dramatic somehow.

Both are simple yet elegant (AND EYE POPPING!!!!)
Now that is how you do a bike! But I will start with the unexpected first. This chainring......heck the entire crankset......is......wait for it........ABSOLUTELY KILLER!!! It is my very favorite crankset with its stupendously great solid chainring. I have to have this thing one day on my Centurion Turbo lo pro. I love all pictures of lo pros with this crankset. Now that I have subtly made myself clear on that point......The chromed frame on this machine looks wonderful. This is what I was talking about when I said chrome on a Battaglin....and lo and behold Lattz hits a home run.....forgive the baseball metaphor....do they have baseball in Germany? Yeah this bike looks sweet with its white saddle and bartape which goes so well with the chrome. The only thing I would change ...is that I would put those Silva silver disc wheels on this. Here is a picture:

Old 03-26-20, 06:04 AM
jucan@hotmail.f

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
Stunningly smooth and beautiful bicycle
whaaaaat bike!
Likes For jucan@hotmail.f:
Old 03-26-20, 11:35 AM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by jucan@hotmail.f View Post
whaaaaat bike!
The gentleman or lady above is referring to this bike:

It is a beautiful bike and I love the bladed frame.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 03-26-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-27-20, 10:44 PM
VintageTTfan

I always like vintage ads from the bike world of the eighties and early nineties so here yah go and all somehow tied in with time trialing...

Old 03-27-20, 11:09 PM
VintageTTfan

Ah....what the heck....I will give you wild and crazy guys and gals a cool bike bonus post to cheer ye up.....

A unique piece.
Old 03-28-20, 11:43 AM
Lattz

The only thing I would change ...is that I would put those Silva silver disc wheels on this.

I guess i would happily change any wheels to such a Silva. I remember the first time i saw Silva as such was on the Rossin cx with those atomic sign-kindof paint scheme. Sweet... but these "pure" ones are the hottest.. reminds me to the land speed record breaking cars in salt lakes. And absolutely lends that look to a bike...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-28-20, 03:26 PM
VintageTTfan

I guess i would happily change any wheels to such a Silva. I remember the first time i saw Silva as such was on the Rossin cx with those atomic sign-kindof paint scheme. Sweet... but these "pure" ones are the hottest.. reminds me to the land speed record breaking cars in salt lakes. And absolutely lends that look to a bike...
Thanks....yeah they are cool for certain bikes that need that metallic look to match chrome or the right paint color. That is a good analogy on the land speed car look.
Old 03-28-20, 03:37 PM
VintageTTfan

Yowza!!!

Look at this mind exploding speed demon!!! This thing would burn a hole in the pavement....I want to ride this through a regular neighborhood and watch everyone's eyes bulge out. People might start jumping out of their cars while they are moving to take it from me though.

Awesome shape to frame....killer paint colors.....beautiful seat stem with flutes filled with Italian flag paint colors.....a sweet solid chain ring......half wrap matching orange bar tape......niiiice. The best part for me is these disc wheels.....I mean they say Killing System...to make your opponents wet themselves and tremble in fear.....and the holes in the front disc are sooooooo cool....how they shine and glow and taper in like that at an angle.......sweeeeeet.......I would drown someone for this thing probably........
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 03-28-20, 08:05 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 79 Trek 710, 81.5 Trek 950, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Yowza!!!

Look at this mind exploding speed demon!!! This thing would burn a hole in the pavement....I want to ride this through a regular neighborhood and watch everyone's eyes bulge out. People might start jumping out of their cars while they are moving to take it from me though.

Awesome shape to frame....killer paint colors.....beautiful seat stem with flutes filled with Italian flag paint colors.....a sweet solid chain ring......half wrap matching orange bar tape......niiiice. The best part for me is these disc wheels.....I mean they say Killing System...to make your opponents wet themselves and tremble in fear.....and the holes in the front disc are sooooooo cool....how they shine and glow and taper in like that at an angle.......sweeeeeet.......I would drown someone for this thing probably........
What do the holes in the front wheel do?
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 03-28-20, 08:47 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Shrevvy View Post
They let the lizard aliens crawl inside and push you faster if you are on their side.

And since having two full disc wheels can be tough with wind the front wheel allows some air to pass through making it aero and not a balance liability.

Most likely correct answer: they just look FRICKIIIIIN AWESOME and since Italians have a killer sense of style.....they just bestowed upon us some of their coolness.
Old 03-28-20, 10:56 PM
bulgie
blahblahblah chrome moly

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy View Post
The 1896 book Bicycles and Tricycles by Archibald Sharp has a drawing of disk wheels, which were claimed to be faster due to less wind resistance. The front wheel on the bike has 4 round holes in it. Yes, 1896, not a typo, 124 years ago.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-28-20, 11:42 PM
VintageTTfan

A final post to cap the night off folks.......before I go up the wooden hills to Bedfordshire....extra points for anyone who knows the musical reference (and no its not Vera Lynn)............

What a wonderful innovative and creative paint job on this beautiful frame that is really a work of art.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 03-29-20, 05:04 AM
P!N20

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 181 Posts
^ You didnít let a bog standard road bike into the TT thread VintageTTfan ?

Like Somecs are bog standard
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-29-20, 05:48 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622 View Post
Or maybe she wants to keep dirt off the tires as much as possible. I do the same when carrrying my bike from garage to house after wiping down the tires lol.

Here's a mock up for you of my TT with the H+Son rims. Im in love with them.

Both rims look like 700c dont they.
Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
Wow. Spoke-less wheels!
Super Conductor magnets?

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-29-20, 05:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 291 Posts
These are, sadly, not mine but I thought I'd post them. I saw them over at T-Town cycles (or whatever the new name is) back around 2014. I inquired if the owner would mind if I took some pics of them and he sent me this great 8x10 glossies. The Paletti is my favorite

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-29-20, 08:09 AM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
^ You didnít let a bog standard road bike into the TT thread VintageTTfan ?

Like Somecs are bog standard
Had to do it because the exception proves the rule (my excuse for every bad thing I do). There is precedent though.....Many moons ago I did a Somec paint job post and committed the abomination that makes desolation. I was really in the swamp then. Good to know you are still hanging out in this wild and crazy place.

I am hiding under the water.
Old 03-29-20, 08:31 AM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
These are, sadly, not mine but I thought I'd post them. I saw them over at T-Town cycles (or whatever the new name is) back around 2014. I inquired if the owner would mind if I took some pics of them and he sent me this great 8x10 glossies. The Paletti is my favorite

Nice....in point of fact......super nice. For me this is a knock out punch.....I have to agree with yah...the Paletti's are top of the heap. Speaking of the top Paletti....the paint job is classic. The bottom Paletti is tops too. The Banesto is an iconic bike in the TT world of course. The Eddy Merckx has the classic simple look that is so nice with its lovely cherry red that goes so well with the iconic Campy white disc wheels. Like these fade bar tapes too. And the Mapei design and paint scheme I have been a fan of for quite a while.

This folks is what a model post looks like here at TT Land....text book perfect with distinction and class. Thank you for this post.
Old 03-30-20, 04:20 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 46 Posts
Haven't viewed this Look before, any one know the story behind it? Does this frame have rear suspension?

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-30-20 at 04:25 AM.
Likes For m_sasso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.